13 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2009 1:53 AM by Miceal Zimmer

Graphics Card Problems with PRE 8.0

Miceal Zimmer

I seem to have a PC with a conflict between my high end graphics card and PRE 8.0.

Having bought a Canon Legria HF S10 I bought a new PC to meet (and exceed) the system requirements for PRE 8.0 so that I could work with my AVCHD files. In case anyone might ask the PC's processor is an Intel Core 2 Duo E7600 @ 3.06 GHZ, memory 4GB DDR2-800, SATA hard disk 500GB, OS Vista Home Premium, graphics card Geforce 9800GT 1GB and the monitor 21.5" HDMI connected to the PC by a high quality HDMI cable. I also checked the presets of my projects and they are for 1920 x 1080i AVCHD.

In PRE 8.0 the screen would sometimes go white if I clicked in the task panel when any process was ongoing and, after a while, come back ok. When I opened an existing project I often found that the thumbnails in the task panel were just blue filmstrips. I then had to select them all and do an update before the images appeared. Sometimes the thumbnail images were there next time I would switch on the PC and open the project and somertimes it was just the blue filmstrips all over again.

I had also noticed a red "events log" indicator in the bottom left of the screen when in PRE 8.0. At first I ignored it thinking it was not important. However, when I did open it after a time the message was that there was poor performance because the graphics card was incorrectly installed or the drivers were faulty. The company who supplied the PC were local so they sent a technician to me who checked out the PC generally and the card installation and it passed all tests so it seemed ok. This was the case with both the drivers supplied with the card and, having uninstalled those, then with the Windows drivers downloaded from  the Windows update site.

I have also completely uninstalled PRE 8.0 and re-installed it twice but without improvement.

The company who supplied the PC then removed it to their workshop. They say the hardware and other software are working as designed. So far as I could tell (I have Photoshop Elements 8.0 as well) that was the case. However, they have told me that they have established that the problem is that PRE 8.0 conflicts with a number of high end graphics cards and AVCHD files and that at this  time they know of no updates to resolve this issue. They've no axe to grind because they have offered to take the PC back, give me a full refund if I wish, and try to find an alternative solution but they can't guarantee that will be with PRE 8.0.

I've been using Elements 2.0 for some years with my Sony DV camcorder and I'm used to the way it works so I'm very reluctant to give up on it.

Has anyone had similiar problems and/or have a solution?

• 1. Re: Graphics Card Problems with PRE 8.0
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Although you exceed the minimum hardware requirements, you're still on the lower end for working with AVCHD. It's a bear to edit, even with a quad core processor!

Vista is also a bit of a resource hog, and it might be worth looking into upping to Windows 7 for better performance. Or, with Vista, at least ensure that you have SP2 and all of the updates and the latest version of Quicktime. You can also tweak some of the aesthetics in Vista so that it doesnt' waste so many of your resources on things like the Aero interface.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415316?tstart=0

There is also this tweak, also from the FAQs to the right of this forum.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/446316?tstart=0

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Graphics Card Problems with PRE 8.0
            the_wine_snob Level 9

I would also check your nVidia card's driver for two, gamer-only modules, PhysX and 3D Stereovision. Disable them in the nVidia console, and see if that helps.

Two other areas to explore would be the Hardware Acceleration, and the OpenGL settings.

Good luck, and hope that something helps you.

Hunt

• 3. Re: Graphics Card Problems with PRE 8.0
              Miceal Zimmer Level 1

I'm taking your advice and for a start I'm going to move to Windows 7. The

firm that supplied my computer are going to do it for me as a total clean

installation, not just upgrading to/over Vista.

I tried the other tweaks you mention but they didn't solve the problem so I

am also considering the quad core. The computer that supplied my PC are

looking into a Quad core processor but have warned me that the price of one

running at 3GHz or more, before what they called Turbo boost, may be fairly

steep.

I would be grateful if you can suggest the spec I should go for in a Quad

core?

Thanks for the help.

• 4. Re: Graphics Card Problems with PRE 8.0
                Miceal Zimmer Level 1

Sounds like a good idea about the gaming modules.  Passed it to the company

who have taken my PC back to try to sort it and have asked them to do that

and see if it helps.

I checked the other two points you made and seems the PC is ok on them.

Also going for a Windows 7 installation to see if that helps. The PC is so

new and the Vista it came with has a free upgrade option I thought I'd go

that way.

Many thanks for your suggestions. Greatly appreciated.

• 5. Re: Graphics Card Problems with PRE 8.0
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Miceal,

Good luck with the installation of PrE 7. If you still have a video driver conflict, check for those two modules. Many installers just gloss over things like that, and assume that having all features in a video driver is a good thing. They may overlook those, but they are easy to disable in the nVidia console.

Let us know how the new machine works on your AVCHD material.

Hunt

• 6. Re: Graphics Card Problems with PRE 8.0
                    Kodebuster Level 3

core?

You can check this link for a speed chart on all Intel and AMD processors:

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/common_cpus.html

My suggestions on a minimum would be the ~ Intel Core2 Quad 8300.

With a 32-bit OS, go with 4 gig of RAM.

Preference would be a 64-bit OS (Vista or Win7), with as much memory and storage as your wallet could stand.

Back to the CPU, if I was editing AVCHD, I'd go with the Intel i7core processor and set myself up with a box that is poised for the future...

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Graphics Card Problems with PRE 8.0
                      nealeh Level 5

Kodebuster wrote:

core?

Preference would be a 64-bit OS (Vista or Win7), with as much memory and storage as your wallet could stand.

Go for, at least, two physical drives so that you can direct the scratch files to a different drive. Partitioning a single physical disk will not deliver performance benefits.

Cheers,
                      --
                      Neale
                      Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 8. Re: Graphics Card Problems with PRE 8.0
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Neale,

I agree that two physical HDD's would be the very minimum, and three actaully a good "starting point." With the prices of HDD's being so low (I still remember paying US$350 for a 20MB HDD, to give me double the HDD space - computers could not see more than one HDD back then), there is very little reason to not use multiple physical HDD's.

Also regarding partitions - that will usually slow things down worse than having just the single, non-partitioned physical HDD. The OS sees the partitions as separate HDD's, can cannot understand why it's taking so long to access requested data - well, it's because the heads can only be in one position at one time.

Thanks for commenting,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Graphics Card Problems with PRE 8.0
                          Miceal Zimmer Level 1

I've had Windows 7 installed.

The PC is faster as is PrE 8 but the events isstill flagging up the conflict.

• 10. Re: Graphics Card Problems with PRE 8.0
                            Miceal Zimmer Level 1

Got my PC back with Windows 7 installed and t

he two modules disabled but the events log in PRE 8.0 isstill flagging up the conflict.

• 11. Re: Graphics Card Problems with PRE 8.0
                              Miceal Zimmer Level 1

Looked into the suggeste quad cores and truly fr

ightened at the price. Way out of my budget!!

• 12. Re: Graphics Card Problems with PRE 8.0
                                nealeh Level 5

Earlier you said that your graphics drivers were updated from Windows Update. You would do better to download the most recent from nvidia.

64bit:     http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7_winvista_64bit_195.62_whql.html

32bit     http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7_winvista_32bit_195.62_whql.html

With these versions you should not need to uninstall the PhysX or 3d Steroescopic components.

Cheers,
                                --
                                Neale
                                Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 13. Re: Graphics Card Problems with PRE 8.0
                                  Miceal Zimmer Level 1

When Windows 7 was installed new nVidia drivers were also installed. As I

mentioned in an earlier reply disabling the PhysX & stereovision modules

didn't solve the problem.

I think this is one for Adobe to give us a proper fix for.

This forum has been great but I'm sure a lot of people must get really

frustrated that they pay for a product that doesn't work properly with new

stuff. It seems Adobe aren't listening or watching the market. Now the

reports of job cuts at Adobe make one wonder if this may slow down

development or reduce support.