2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 17, 2006 8:10 AM by Felt_Graphics

DIR File Size

Felt_Graphics
      I have a DIR file coming in at a massive 280MB!
      yes you heard right, 280MB!

it has approx 150 - 1024x768 images (maybe a little less) all alpha fading.

Now I have done the "save as" and the "save and compact" methods, even gone trough every image and used fireworks to compress each image down futher, but this only seems to take 1MB off the 280MB???

I am just wondering is there anyway I can get the file size down?
      could I try linking the images and not importing them into the DIR file?

any help would be great as im all out of ideas after spending an hour or two compressing each image!
        • 1. Re: DIR File Size
          Level 7
          Felt Graphics wrote:
          > I have a DIR file coming in at a massive 280MB!
          > yes you heard right, 280MB!
          >
          > it has approx 150 - 1024x768 images (maybe a little less) all alpha
          > fading.

1) I suggest putting (a large number of) the images in external casts.

2) When you import an image with compression (like a jpeg file) into
          Director, it also keeps the uncompressed version (perhaps because when D
          first came out it was expensive in time for computers to uncompress images).
          When you create a projector or shockwave movie or protect a cast, it
          discards the uncompressed data.

3) With a file that size, it is definitely a good idea to make backups. Do
          one now.

Andrew

• 2. Re: DIR File Size
            Felt_Graphics Level 1
            I changed the files from internal, to linked to an external file and its worked.
            file is now at 27MB which is a lot better, then about 14MB for all the image so that make 41 for the lot!

thanks andrew just wasnt too sure that it would get the results I wanted!