1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 27, 2009 3:03 AM by JabbyPandaUA

Are there plans for GraphicElement to support automation?

JabbyPandaUA Level 3

Hi all,

Are there any plans to enable GraphicElement core component to support automated testing?

Sure, we are not that interested in enabling automation in spark.primitives.* classes So why we would be thinking of that?

The reason is that we've created here quite a few functional components like GraphicText or GraphicImage that extend from GraphicElement rather then from UIComponent in order to gain as much as possible needed performance, we have over 1000+ such components available at the screen.

Sure, may be at some point we've moved outside of Flex SDK if we extend certain components from GraphicElement, but it does not hurt to ask 

ps

I've tried to implement IAutomationObject interface inside of sub-component GraphicAutomationElement that extends from GraphicElement, but this effort currently did not ended up with success, so far HP QTP is not able to recognize my GraphicAutomationElement component

• 1. Re: Are there plans for GraphicElement to support automation?
          JabbyPandaUA Level 3

I guess GraphicElement will never support automation, at least by the time of Flex 4 release.

During my tests with GraphicElement extending IAutomationObject interface, I've just hit RTE coming from closed-source mx.automation.AutomationManager class requesting the automated UI control to implement IUIComponent interface, and obviuosly GraphicElement class does not implement this interface

TypeError: Error #1034: Type Coercion failed: cannot convert GraphicElementAutomation@7b10e19 to mx.core.IUIComponent.
               at mx.automation::AutomationManager/getChildren()[C:\work\flex\dmv_automation\projects\automation\src\mx\automation\AutomationManager.as:1157]