9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 25, 2009 9:25 AM by kglad

Extending a component over multiple frames

r_honey

I found this sentence while googling out for Flash help: "Add 3 frames to your timeline. Drop a TextField on your Stage & make sure it extends over all the 3 frames."

I was not able to accompolish the second task of this. I added the frames, dropped a TextField on the first frame, but could not find a way to extend it over all the 3 frames. Any help would be appreciated!!

• 1. Re: Extending a component over multiple frames
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

if you click on the 3rd frame, do you see your textfield on stage?  if yes, you've extended your textfield over the 3 frames.  if no, clear any keyframes you inadvertantly added after the first frame that contains your textfield.

• 2. Re: Extending a component over multiple frames
            r_honey Level 1

Hi kglad, no I dont see my textfield on stage on clicking the 3rd frame. Your suggestion basically means that components cannot extend over keyframes. Am I correct??

• 3. Re: Extending a component over multiple frames

why do you have key frames on the 2nd or 3rd frame?

• 4. Re: Extending a component over multiple frames
                r_honey Level 1

You might be surprised, but the answer is I also dont know. I am still learning Flash. So, I take this opportunity to ask the difference between a KeyFrame, a Frame & a blank KeyFrame.

• 5. Re: Extending a component over multiple frames

experiment with the 3.

you'll find adding a non-keyframe extends a timeline but changes no objects in the previous keyframe.  anything that existed before that frame was added, still exists and still is the same instance.

if you add a keyframe, previous objects will exist in the new keyframe, but they may not be the same instance.  that means the objects may look exactly the same to you but to flash, they may be different.

adding a blank keyframe removes all previous objects.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Extending a component over multiple frames
                    r_honey Level 1

"that means the objects may look exactly the same to you but to flash, they may be different"

How can I tell if they are the same or different instance?? Also, how can I ask Flash to use the same instance on the next keyframe???

• 7. Re: Extending a component over multiple frames

there's no way to determine which objects are different.

you can ensure all objects in a particular layer are the same  after an initial keyframe by only adding keyframes in increasing frame order and not adding any objects after the initial keyframe.

• 8. Re: Extending a component over multiple frames
                        r_honey Level 1

You mean that after the objects shoulod be added to Frame 1, and then add keyframes in increasing order? After I add keyframe, can I go back to Frame 1 and add another object, assuming they would be the same instance in successive frames??

• 9. Re: Extending a component over multiple frames

You mean that after the objects shoulod be added to Frame 1, and then add keyframes in increasing order?

yes

After I add keyframe, can I go back to Frame 1 and add another object, assuming they would be the same instance in successive frames??

no, that's one of the ways to cause a problem. 

to be more explicit, with keyframes at frame 1 and 5, if you add exactly the same object to frame 1 and to frame 5 and assign that object exactly the same instance name in frame 1 and in frame 5, you will have two different objects and all sorts of problems.

if you followed the advice in your first sentence, you would add all the objects (that you want to be the same) to frame 1.  and only after finishing that would you add a keyframe at frame 5.

if sometime later you decide you want to add another object to frames 1 and 5 and you want that object to be the same on both those frames, clear keyframe 5, add the object to frame 1 and then re-create a keyframe at frame 5.

1 person found this helpful