5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 25, 2009 8:22 AM by kennythayer

How do I keep the color in a scanned picture, the gaps not working and the color is going everywhere

kennythayer

The color wont stay where I want it.  The picture has small gaps, the gap option dosent work????  I went to the Object tab and it says it's on but it dosent work.  I used the pencil to try and fill in the gaps, they look filled in but the color bleeds out.  I am going nuts and have spent way too much time struggling on something that seems like it should be simple. I am sure its operator error.... If I draw a shape and fill it in it works fine?????  Any help would be fantasticccccccc.  Thanksssssssss  sooo much

• 1. Re: How do I keep the color in a scanned picture, the gaps not working and the color is going everywhere
          Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Kenny,

It sounds like a Photoshop job, the picture being raster. Or a Pen Tool/Live Tracing job.

• 2. Re: How do I keep the color in a scanned picture, the gaps not working and the color is going everywhere
            JETalmage Level 6

Kenny,

How is anyone supposed to answer a question stated like this?

In your entire frustrated rant, you DON'T state what version of Illustrator you're working with, and you DON'T state what tool you are using. (So Jacob, the only responder so far, directs you to Photoshop, because Jacob is working in AI10, and therefore doesn't recognize you're trying to use LivePaint--which NO ONE would know without taking the time to read between the lines.)

Don't you understand, you are not talking to Adobe here? When you post a question here, you are asking other Illustrator users (you know--people who HAVE bothered to read the instructions) to volunteer their time to try to help you out. They're not paid to do this. So they're much less likely to care to give their time to someone who doesn't care enough about their own problem to at least try to make it intelligible.

See Online Help for LivePaint. You only have to read about half of a typical letter-size page to get the story on controlling gaps in LivePaint groups.

JET

Close gaps in Live Paint groups

Gaps are small spaces between paths. If paint leaks through and paints faces you did not intend, you probably have a gap in your artwork. You can create a new path that closes the gap, edit existing paths to close the gap, or adjust the gap options in the Live Paint group.

You can avoid gaps in your Live Paint artwork by overdrawing paths (that is, extending them past each other). You can then select and delete the excess edges that result, or apply a stroke of “None” to them.

Highlight gaps in a Live Paint group

Choose View > Show Live Paint Gaps.

This command highlights any gaps found on the currently selected Live Paint group, based on your gap options settings for that group.

Set Live Paint gap options

Choose Object > Live Paint > Gap Options and specify any of the following:
            Gap Detection
            When selected, Illustrator recognizes gaps in Live Paint paths and prevents paint from flowing through them. Note that this may slow Illustrator when working on large, complex Live Paint groups. In this case, you can choose Close Gaps With Paths to help speed Illustrator up again.

Paint Stops At
            Sets the size of the gap paint can’t flow through.

Custom
            Specifies a custom Paint Stops At gap size.

Gap Preview Color
            Sets the color for previewing gaps in Live Paint groups. You can choose a color from the menu, or click the color well next to the Gap Preview Color menu to specify a custom color.

Close Gaps With Paths
            When selected, inserts unpainted paths into your Live Paint group to close gaps (rather than simply preventing paint from flowing though the gaps). Note that since these paths are unpainted, it may appear gaps are still there even though they have been closed.

Preview
            Displays currently detected gaps in Live Paint groups as colored lines, based on the preview color you chose.
            • 3. Re: How do I keep the color in a scanned picture, the gaps not working and the color is going everywhere
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Kenny, James has some valid points. It doesn't help anyone, if you get lost in vague descriptions and run off with your frustrations. Anyway, I think I know what is wrong. What happens is, that you paint over a bitmap image using AI's tools which merely results in a lot of open paths. These do not interact with your scanned image in any way. Naturally, a path is not an area shape, so your attempts to use the Live paint tool are bound to fail. So in essence, you are using the wrong tool or wrong workflow, depending on how you wanan see it. In order to do your work in AI, you would have to rebuild all contours, so the produce closed areas with only minor gaps that the Live Paint tool could auto-bridge. This entails the use of the Live Trace options and a lot of manual drawing. If that is not feasible, you need to use Photoshop and its Paint bucked tool to colorize your work after having used their equivalent of the pen tool to close your gaps or defining selections for filling.

Mylenium

• 4. Re: How do I keep the color in a scanned picture, the gaps not working and the color is going everyw
                Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Why don't you post a screen shot of the art with the layers panel s we can see exactly what you are seeing.

• 5. Re: How do I keep the color in a scanned picture, the gaps not working and the color is going everywhere
                  kennythayer Level 1

thank you very much

Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 04:53:55 -0700

To: kennythayer@hotmail.com

Subject: How do I keep the color in a scanned picture, the gaps not working and the color is going everywhere

Kenny, James has some valid points. It doesn't help anyone, if you get lost in vague descriptions and run off with your frustrations. Anyway, I think I know what is wrong. What happens is, that you paint over a bitmap image using AI's tools which merely results in a lot of open paths. These do not interact with your scanned image in any way. Naturally, a path is not an area shape, so your attempts to use the Live paint tool are bound to fail. So in essence, you are using the wrong tool or wrong workflow, depending on how you wanan see it. In order to do your work in AI, you would have to rebuild all contours, so the produce closed areas with only minor gaps that the Live Paint tool could auto-bridge. This entails the use of the Live Trace options and a lot of manual drawing. If that is not feasible, you need to use Photoshop and its Paint bucked tool to colorize your work after having used their equivalent of the pen tool to close your gaps or defining selections for filling.

Mylenium

>