10 Replies Latest reply on Nov 26, 2009 8:38 AM by the_wine_snob

Cannot apply a menu template PRE7

kdock

First, I'm sorry if this is a repeat post.  I don't see my original question here now.

I definitely need help with this.  I have successfully applied a menu template in PRE3, so I know the process.  Even checked through the Help file just to make sure the process didn't change.  When I try to drag a menu template to the preview pane, nothing happens.  If I hightlight a template then click the Apply button, nothing happens.  I have verified that the templates are installed...  I have repaired the installation through Control Panel.

What am I missing here?  I've googled this and can't find anything on it.  Please, any help?

Thanks, Kim

• 1. Re: Cannot apply a menu template PRE7
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Kim,

What particular Menu Template are you working with? Maybe there is something there?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Cannot apply a menu template PRE7
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Try just clicking to select the template and then click the Apply button.

Some templates take a few minutes to load -- especially if they have motion backgrounds -- so be patient. And, as Hunt says, see if the problem is unique to one template. Try a couple and see if any work.

• 3. Re: Cannot apply a menu template PRE7
              kdock Level 1

Well, I don't know how much time you mean, but five or ten minutes later nothing happens.  There's no hard drive activity at all.

I have tried several different templates and have not been able to apply any of them.  I have tried the drag method and I've tried the click then Apply method.

I was able to apply a simple template on another computer running PRE3, so I know the template wasn't too complex.  I've repaired the installation, but perhaps it's time to remove and reinstall.  I just wish I knew where things were going wrong.

Is it possible there's something about my computer's hardware?  I have a Vostro 2510 with WinXP SP3, 2G of RAM, dual processor 1.8GHz, video card NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS, sound card Realtek high Definition Audio.  I am not attempting HD.

Are there settings in PRE7 that I should be looking at?  If so, what should I be looking for?

Thanks,

Kim

• 4. Re: Cannot apply a menu template PRE7
                kdock Level 1

Thanks,

I've tried different templates, all to no avail.  See my response to Steve.

Also, very sorry about posting in the Tips & Tricks.  That explains why I couldn't find it again...

Kim

• 5. Re: Cannot apply a menu template PRE7
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Your computer is plenty fast and you seem to be doing everything right, Kim. I'm not sure what's up.

You've got plenty of (20-30 gigs) of free, defragmented space on your C drive, right?

And you've gone to Windows Update, downloaded the non-critical updates and got the latest version of Quicktime, right>?

• 6. Re: Cannot apply a menu template PRE7
                    kdock Level 1

Hi Steve,

Yes, plenty of free, defragmented space on C: and yes, Windows is fully patched, and yes, the latest version of Quicktime is installed.  I've been able to do everything in PRE7 except add the menu template.  Well, I haven't actually burned a DVD with it yet, so that's out there as an open question, too.

I've now uninstalled and will reinstall with fingers virtually crossed.  I think what we've discerned is that this is a very rare occurrence.  I hate that.

Thanks much,

Kim

• 7. Re: Cannot apply a menu template PRE7
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Kim,

Here's wishing you good luck.

If you also have Photoshop, or Photoshop Elements, you might want to open some of these Menus there, just to see if they open fine. This is to test whether the .PSD's are corrupt. Of couse, if the uninstall/reinstall works fine, then it's moot.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Cannot apply a menu template PRE7
                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                        very sorry about posting in the Tips & Tricks.  That explains why I couldn't find it again...

Kim,

Don't worry. It happens all the time, and Steve is pretty quick at moving posts out to the main forum. The main reason is so that more users will see the post, and can help. Sometimes, the Tips & Tricks sub-forum does not see that much activity.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Cannot apply a menu template PRE7
                          kdock Level 1

I am very happy to report that uninstalling then reinstalling fixed the problem.

And interesting occurrence:  I uninstalled first the templates then the program within Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs.  I rebooted and installed the program.  I again rebooted, then went to install the templates.  For whatever reason, Adobe detected that the templates were already installed and offered to uninstall them for me.  Taking this as an omen, I said yes, even though the DVD Templates folder was *not* on my hard drive.  I installed once again and all was right with the world.

Hurray.  Thanks to you and Steve for your moral support.

Best,

Kim

• 10. Re: Cannot apply a menu template PRE7
                            the_wine_snob Level 9
                            For whatever reason, Adobe detected that the templates were already installed and offered to uninstall them for me.  Taking this as an omen, I said yes, even though the DVD Templates folder was *not* on my hard drive.  I installed once again and all was right with the world.

There was probably a link, maybe in the Registry, that was still pointing to the Functional Content, even though it was no longer on the system. I'd guess that it was this link that PrE installer deleted, and then it was reset, when you installed the Content.

Hurray.  Thanks to you and Steve for your moral support.

Good news, and you are most welcome. Even if we can give a definitive answer, we're pretty good at "moral support." Glad that it's now working for you!

Hunt