4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 25, 2009 1:59 PM by Jim_Simon

creating old silent movie look?

el_lesmana

Hi all, i'd like to ask if premiere pro (i used premiere pro 2) or after effects can create  that old silent movie look (u know, yellowish/sepia at noon and bluish at night), and how to do it if it can, or if anybody have a link on this kind of tutorial? i'd like to make my video footage in this look. Thx very much.

• 1. Re: creating old silent movie look?
          Jim_Simon Level 8

Magic Bullet Looks, which also includes Misfire, will do the job nicely.

• 2. Re: creating old silent movie look?
            shooternz Level 6

Never saw an old silent movie that had color...

but Premiere (and AEFX) can easily CC to sepia and blue tint if thats all that  you wish.

There are other elements to an "old silent movie look"  that may require an expensive plug in such as MB Look Suite

• 3. Re: creating old silent movie look?
              Webshark2000 Level 1

Also, and I know I'm going to get flac for mentioning this, Matrox has a pretty good "Old Movie" effect.  We've got the RT.X2 card and I used the effect for some footage a client needed for a Western-themed event.  It let you control the amount of dust and scratches, the jitter effect and the grainness as well as making it pure black and white or sepia colored.

If you're looking for a free method, you can create the effect manually using After Effects, but it takes some effort.  I'm pretty sure there are some tutorials out there to show you how to do it.

Take a look at this:

http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorial/old_film_look/

• 4. Re: creating old silent movie look?
                Jim_Simon Level 8
                Matrox has a pretty good "Old Movie" effect.

Much as I dislike Matrox, I have to agree with that.  Matrox does have a lot of great effects/transitions not included with Premiere.  (Now if only we could get access to those good things without having to use their hardware.)

It let you control the amount of dust and scratches, the jitter effect and the grainness as well as making it pure black and white or sepia colored.

The Misfire plug-in has similar detailed control.