25 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2009 5:33 AM by Webshark2000

Why does Encoder say "Source file not found" frm Premiere Pro CS4?

Julian_Nav

Hi all,

Im new to all this. In fact this is my first attempt at using both PREMIERE & ENCODER. ( I just want to finish my little project off, so i can view it full screen and pass on to mates.) i keep getting the following error from Encoder (see below):

I am running MAC OS X 10.6.

PRESETS/ Encoding:

Format= Quicktime

Codecs= APPLE PRO RES HQ

.I did read about this problem for Windows but there was nothing for a MAC fix..

- Source File: /Users/admin/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/close encounters_1.prproj
      - Output File: /Users/admin/Desktop/close encounters.mov
      - Preset Used: Custom
      - Video:
      - Audio:
      - Bitrate:
      - Encoding Time: 23:54:53
      Tue Nov 24 20:03:24 2009 : Encoding Failed
      -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Could not read from the source. Please check if it has moved or been deleted.

- Source File: /Users/admin/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/close encounters_2.prproj
      - Output File: /Users/admin/Desktop/Sequence 01.mov
      - Video:
      - Audio:
      - Bitrate:
      - Encoding Time: 00:10:56
      Tue Nov 24 20:18:25 2009 : Encoding Failed

- Source File: /Users/admin/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/close encounters_3.prproj
      - Video:
      - Audio:
      - Bitrate:
      - Encoding Time: 00:32:38
      Tue Nov 24 20:40:06 2009 : Encoding Failed

- Source File: /Users/admin/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/Copy of close encounters.prproj
      - Output File: /Users/admin/Desktop/closefinally.mp4
      - Video:
      - Audio:
      - Bitrate:
      - Encoding Time: 01:14:00
      Tue Nov 24 22:26:31 2009 : Encoding Failed

- Source File: /Users/admin/.Trash/Recovered files/Copy of close encounters_1.prproj
      - Output File: /Users/admin/Desktop/Sequence 01.mp4
      - Video:
      - Audio:
      - Bitrate:
      - Encoding Time: 01:20:02
      Tue Nov 24 22:32:32 2009 : Encoding Failed

- Source File: /Users/admin/.Trash/Recovered files/Copy of close encounters_2.prproj
      - Video:
      - Audio:
      - Bitrate:
      - Encoding Time: 15:03:05
      Wed Nov 25 18:25:15 2009 : Encoding Failed

• 1. Re: Why does Encoder say "Source file not found" frm Premiere Pro CS4?
          Jim_Simon Level 8

I have found that a project corruption might cause this error.  I haven't found a fix yet.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Why does Encoder say "Source file not found" frm Premiere Pro CS4?
            Webshark2000 Level 1

For me, the only solution to this was to open Media Encoder first then go File --> Add Premiere Pro Sequence and make the export from there.  When you go to export your timeline out of Premiere Pro, it copies your project to /Users/admin/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/ and somewhere in that process the project file gets screwed up.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Why does Encoder say "Source file not found" frm Premiere Pro CS4?
              Julian_Nav Level 1

Thx Webshark,

i tried importing sequence directly into AME, but it didn't work.  It simply froze on me, activity moniter said not responding, so i had to force quit.

AME is working, as i just tested it on a quicktime file encoding to H.246.

Do you recommend clearing the cahces? Will this help?

• 4. Re: Why does Encoder say "Source file not found" frm Premiere Pro CS4?
                Jim_Simon Level 8

At this point, I would guess the project file is corrupted and nothing will help but to redo the project.

If you find another solution, please do tell...

• 5. Re: Why does Encoder say "Source file not found" frm Premiere Pro CS4?
                  Julian_Nav Level 1

it may well be a corrupt project, but it loads and runs beautifully in premiere.

i am going to use the UNI computer to try and encoder am copying all the project files across. Whilst they have AME they don't have Prem Pro.

• 6. Re: Why does Encoder say "Source file not found" frm Premiere Pro CS4?
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

Can you even install AME without Premiere?  I know it relies on PremiereProHeadless, which is basically Premiere without a GUI and which I would assume only gets installed with Premiere.

• 7. Re: Why does Encoder say "Source file not found" frm Premiere Pro CS4?
                      Julian_Nav Level 1

well the Uni versions of AME simply died when selecting import premiere sequence on 3 mac pros, strange they have the whole suite minus premiere pro.

it's all getting too complicated, i'm thinking of re installing the adobe suite, couldn't hurt.

I worked on my project for 3 days solid. I need to exhaust every avenue before doing this project again..

• 8. Re: Why does Encoder say "Source file not found" frm Premiere Pro CS4?
                        Jim_Simon Level 8
                        Uni versions of AME simply died when selecting import premiere sequence

I wonder if that is because Premeire isn't installed.

• 10. Re: Why does Encoder say "Source file not found" frm Premiere Pro CS4?
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Might be of some help: this is the FAQ in the PrPro-Wiki on Corrupt Projects.

Also, check for a recent AutoSave (in the AutoSave sub-folder of your Project). You might be able to get close to where your Saved Project is. Note: when you navigate to the AutoSave sub-folder, set your View to Details, and check the Date/Time of each of the 5 (the default) files there. The most recent might not be 005, but maybe 003. This feature is FIFO. Check the Date/Time column closely to get the last one.

Good luck, and hope that something helps,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Why does Encoder say "Source file not found" frm Premiere Pro CS4?
                            Webshark2000 Level 1

Julian_Nav wrote:

i tried importing sequence directly into AME, but it didn't work.  It simply froze on me, activity moniter said not responding, so i had to force quit.

How long did you wait?  When I browse to a project in the left window and click on it, I've had it say "Not Responding" to me and then after letting it sit for around 2-3 minutes it comes up (shows everything in the project in the right window).

Might try clicking on your project and walking away for 5 min and just see if it brings it up.

If not, the only other thing I'd try would be to export it out as an uncompressed AVI and see if that works.  I've had some issues with AME not wanting to render my project to any compressed media format, but it would send out an uncompressed AVI which I could then convert.

Good luck.

• 12. Re: Why does Encoder say "Source file not found" frm Premiere Pro CS4?
                              LeeMahn

Well this is kinda goofy.  A $3000+ program, and it won't render a simple 2-3 minute Quicktime file without waiting for 3 minutes to load a project with 4 clips in it?

I find it hard to believe this is the issue.  Something must be awry - otherwise why pay so much money for something that's basically.. uhm.. broken?

I'm having the same problem on my Mac, using Snow Leopard - fully updated.  Using CS4 Master Collection (yes fully updated and has been reinstalled and re-updated).

When I try to add a project sequence from within AME, it thinks for a LONG time, then comes back with a "Dynamic Link" error.  I cleaned the project, resaved it as a new name, and tried again.. same thing.  No matter what output settings I try (which I don't think has anything to do with it -- since it's not even loading the project to see what the settings are), it simply doesn't work.

This problem has been going on now since before the beginning of 2009.  Can't anyone solve this?

VERY frustrating.

• 13. Re: Why does Encoder say "Source file not found" frm Premiere Pro CS4?
                                Webshark2000 Level 1

LeeMahn wrote:

Well this is kinda goofy.  A $3000+ program, and it won't render a simple 2-3 minute Quicktime file without waiting for 3 minutes to load a project with 4 clips in it?

It is frustrating.  Since upgrading to CS4 I've experienced numerous problems with Media Encoder.

• 14. Re: Why does Encoder say "Source file not found" frm Premiere Pro CS4?
                                  Kevin Pavlovic Level 1

I was having this issue for awhile as well and was finding it to be due to a corrupt project.  I was able to open the project in Premiere but if I tried to save that project the newly saved version would not open.  It is a corrupt saved copy that media encoder tries to open and returns the error.

Can you check if this is the issue you are having?  Are you able to save your project (backup your original!!) and then open that saved copy?  If so I may have a workaround for you.

• 15. Re: Why does Encoder say "Source file not found" frm Premiere Pro CS4?
                                    gcs01 Level 1

We've got a number of machines (PC) all similarly non-functioning.  The question I have is how do you prove you have a corrupt project?  It's all guesswork, isn't it?  A last-ditch explanation based on whether or not you can come up with a definitive cause by eliminating all other possible issues?  We have tried a number of different projects, recreated projects from scratch and they all comeback with the same errors.  Surely not all of our projects are corrupt, unless Adobe is corrupting them upon import.  Some of the other projects tested were originally CS3 projects imported into CS4.

One observation that I've had is that the errors almost appear to be progressive in nature (maybe this points to a corrupt project).  My errors began with referenced memory errors, followed by unknown encoding failure errors, followed by "cannot read from source" errors, and then finally dynamic link errors that prevent any encoding to start.  Could it be the dynamic linking functionality has grown corrupt.  Interesting thing is that I have removed all AE links in my projects and have used only .tif exports out of AE to see if it corrects the problem.  It doesn't.  Should I assume PPro and AME are using dynamic linking between each other?

Also noted that when the  "cannot read from source" errors occur, AME wants to read from a newly created temp project that has been placed in a temp folder in the local profile rather then reading directly from the source location on the video drive.  I wasn't sure if AME always handles its encodes in this manner, but a co-worker seemed to think that prior to these errors beginning, AME used to show the path to the original project file and not a temp file.

Most, if not all, of these errors began following a recent upgrade to CS4 from CS3.  I am in the process of going through a complete uninstall and then reinstall of CS4 plus current upgrades.  I am hopeful that the updates will correct the problems, but from what I am reading here, I am not so sure.

-gcs

• 16. Re: Why does Encoder say "Source file not found" frm Premiere Pro CS4?
                                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                                      My errors began with referenced memory errors, followed by unknown encoding failure errors, followed by "cannot read from source" errors, and then finally dynamic link errors that prevent any encoding to start.

Dude, that ain't normal.  It may be time to wipe the hard drive and reinstall everything from scratch.

• 17. Re: Why does Encoder say "Source file not found" frm Premiere Pro CS4?
                                        Jim_Simon Level 8
                                        AME wants to read from a newly created temp project that has been placed in a temp folder

With CS4, AME has always worked this way.  And indeed it can ONLY work this way if you are to continue working while export happens in the background.

• 18. Re: Why does Encoder say "Source file not found" frm Premiere Pro CS4?
                                          LeeMahn Level 1

No, Kevin.. cannot confirm that.  I have tried removing any unused tracks, etc, etc.  Then saved it as a new project name.  I can then open the new project, but still cannot export it.

I'm amazed that nobody has called Adobe to ask what's happening, and then posted the solution.  Guess that's my next step.  This is OBVIOUSLY a bug... otherwise the net (and these forums) would not be filled with people complaining about the same issue.

It happens on both Mac and PC, so it's not localized to a single OS.  And owners of both OS's are complaining.

Hello.. Adobe?  Are ya here??

• 19. Re: Why does Encoder say "Source file not found" frm Premiere Pro CS4?
                                            gcs01 Level 1

After a couple more weeks of investigating, testing, cleaning, uninstalls, re-installs...all of my failed exports came down to sourcing from and writing to a heavily fragmented and >90% capacity HD.  I installed a new HD, copied my project and all of my source files to this new drive and made sure all links pointed to the new location.  This has turned my 100% failure rate into 100% success rate for exports through Premiere CS4 and AME. 

Would be curious if anyone else has attempted this solution and still ran into problems.

• 20. Re: Why does Encoder say "Source file not found" frm Premiere Pro CS4?
                                              Harm Millaard Level 7

That is one of the reasons why I always suggest to get a bigger or additional disk if fill rates go over 70%.

• 21. [SOLVED] Re: Why does Encoder say "Source file not found" frm Premiere Pro CS4?
                                                LeeMahn Level 1

I have found the solution... FINALLY.

After reinstalling, I noticed that the plugins for CS4 were all being put in the same folder.  "Media Core".  I am using MAC, so this folder is located at: "Macintosh HD/Library/Application Suport/Adobe/Common/Plug ins/CS4"  It occured to me that there may be plugins here that AME could not read properly, were old or incompatible, etc.  So I moved all the plugins to their proper folders for each program (i.e., AE plugins into the AE plugins directory, etc.).. restarted Premiere and AME.. and VOILA!

All plugins work fine in all programs, AME is now encoding and seeing things in the proper place.. etc..etc.

It had zero to do with creating a link (at least in MAC), and had zero to do with disk size or fragmentation.  This one thing did the trick after I have tried (I believe) everything else.

Hope this helps everyone..

• 22. Re: Why does Encoder say "Source file not found" frm Premiere Pro CS4?
                                                  Julian_Nav Level 1

I personally don't have HD issues and my common plugins folder is empty.. Not sure if this is right or wrong!  But after reading all the advise and waiting on Adobe to respond, i came to the realisation:

If you buy a blender that is supposed to purate carrots. Then after selecting all the ingriedents for a fantastic dish, you find that the abode blender doesnt purate but dices, the last thing you would do is jump on the internet asking people, "How do i rewire my blender so it purates." Then read through a whole bunch of answers telling you to pull the thing apart, check the power cable, 'i proppped the blades with toothpicks and it worked'...I mean surely we would simply get an exchange or refund..

I ask at what point did we as consumers decide that software and computer manufacturers for that instance be exempt from ensuring their products worked as expected on any given platform.  And why should we the consumer feel empowered by providing solutions that they should be solving for us and NOT VICE VERSA..... PLS feel free to comment.  ..  

25blender.600.nostroke.jpg

• 23. Re: Why does Encoder say "Source file not found" frm Premiere Pro CS4?
                                                    Julian_Nav Level 1

Adobe Support Response: ( 10 DAYS LATER ) was a simple rehash of the one and only documented solution for the "source file not found" problem. Only problem is the resolution is for a Windows platform and i'm on a MAC.

It is dissapointing that one needs to waste further time replying to the support staff, asking them to please read the original notes on the problem as it clearly states that it's a Mac platform.

I am going to call them tomorrow and personally speak to one the Support Staff.  Although i must admit that after my attempt at logging a problem via the web and the subsequent response, i have reservations as to whether this is going to provide me with an answer or be a further waste of time and energy.

case number 181329497

Message was edited by: Julian_Nav

Thought i would keep this professional and not like a personal blog.  thank u..

Message was edited by: Julian_Nav

• 24. Re: Why does Encoder say "Source file not found" frm Premiere Pro CS4?
                                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Julian,

You might not want to list your case number in the forum. Adobe T/S will not be reading here, so it will be of no use to them. Probably nothing will come of this, but there is a potential.

Now, maybe this will help, when you do make the call: when you get to the tech, ask to have your case elevated, and ask to speak to a supervisor. All too often, the "first responders" are pretty ill-prepared to help much. The next level might be better. At least here's hoping.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 25. Re: Why does Encoder say "Source file not found" frm Premiere Pro CS4?
                                                        Webshark2000 Level 1

Julian_Nav wrote:

the last thing you would do is jump on the internet asking people, "How do i rewire my blender so it purates." Then read through a whole bunch of answers telling you to pull the thing apart, check the power cable, 'i proppped the blades with toothpicks and it worked'...I mean surely we would simply get an exchange or refund..

I agree with you, but I'm not sure the blender analogy works very well.  A blender should work the same way if I plug it in at my house, your house, or anywhere else.  With software it can be difficult since so many people have different hardware and other software in their computers and therefore the programmers can easily miss something that might cause an issue with a specific piece of hardware or software.

I've done some programming before and beta testing is the hardest part because you'll find bugs that will take you weeks to figure out why they're occuring, and you're the one who wrote the software!

I do understand your frustration and I agree that Adobe's tech support is terrible, but all software has bugs that need to be fixed and the bigger and more popular the program, the more often you hear about those bugs.  You can judge the company on how they respond to those bugs and help you to fix them.  So far, Adobe hasn't done a very good job with that.