5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2009 3:49 AM by SvetaRA

FMR or Automatic Recording mode?

SvetaRA

Hello,

I can not understand how to solve the following problem:

I need to demonstrate to people how to use a certain screen and highlight certain fields on that screen to draw their attention.

I already have the audio which I'm going to add after recording on the slide.

When I use FMR mode it doesnt put highlight boxes on the recording area on the mouse click even if I ticked the box "Add highlight boxes on click" in Recording modes.

When I use Automatic recording mode the highlight boxes appear but at the end I find desynchronization between recorded video and audio. Video is slowlier than audio.

Please, do you have some advices for me in this case?

Thank you in advance.

S.

• 1. Re: FMR or Automatic Recording mode?
          Lilybiri MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Hello,

I would recommend that you use the Automatic Recording mode, not FMR. Captivate's native workflow is recording slides, not video (FMR), and in Automatic Recording it will switch to FMR when necessary and if you indicate this in the settings: when using drag and drop, mouse wheel actions (see Preferences, Recording, Settings).

The setting 'Add highlight boxes on click' is for Automatic Recording mode, default for 'Demonstration mode', never for FMR.

But those highlight boxes will only be put on the slide when you click with the mouse (listen for the sound of the capture camera). You can always add or change those highlight boxes when editing the slides (big advantage opposed to FMR where editing is less easy).

You are recording audio at the same time as the captures? I never do this, always add audio afterwards, slide per slide. Is you audio spanned over different slides?

Lilybiri

• 2. Re: FMR or Automatic Recording mode?
            SvetaRA Level 1

Lilybiri, thank you for you answer,

I dont use recording audio at the same time as the captures. I follow by the voice that I've already recorded and it plays from the other computer, cause I need to make the capture of the field on the screen at the certain time and then to explain what it use for.

So, when I publish the project afterwards the video takes more time then audio, for example, duration of the audio file is 7 min (exact this time I use for Auto recording) and piblished video 9 min.

Why publishing does make it longer?

Thank you,

S.

• 3. Re: FMR or Automatic Recording mode?

Hello,

Your audio clips seems not to be synchronised with the slides. Did you preview with F4 (Project) and F12 (in Web browser) and do you have the same problem then?

Do you attach the audio clips to each slide? In that case, try to give a small delay to each audio clip (Timeline) of about 0.1sec). The total duration you are referring to: can you check the total time of the CP-movie in the Information window on the Storyboard view?

Just trying to help you detect the cause,

Lilybiri

• 4. Re: FMR or Automatic Recording mode?
                SvetaRA Level 1

Lilybiri, thank you for your help

Unfortunatly the problem still exists.

I've decided to use FMR.

S.

• 5. Re: FMR or Automatic Recording mode?

Hello,

Beware: FMR could lead to huge filesizes, and editing is not that easy!

Lilybiri