6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 26, 2009 2:08 AM by gwhPoster

Exporting a masked object for the web

gwhPoster Level 1

Hi everyone,

I've created a pattern tile in Illustrator and need to export it for the web. The problem is that when I do this, the area that is masked out is showing up in the the save for web dialogue box as a blank transparent area.

Anyone know how to avoid this so that only the pattern tile itself is saved for web?

Appreciate any help.

• 1. Re: Exporting a masked object for the web
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

What are you refering to? Images are always rectangular. It's in their nature. There is no such thing as saving a circle as a circle, if you get my meaning. the rest is merely up to what format you save and what options you use. please clarify what exactly you are doing.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Exporting a masked object for the web
            gwhPoster Level 1

Thanks for the reply,

I've created a pattern and cropped out an area using a square. This hidden area isn't seen when used within Illustrator due to the crop object but when I save for web the hidden area is being saved although it's displaying as transparent space and not the actual object that's outside the crop. I just want the cropped area to be saved for the web not the area outside the crop. Not sure if that's clear.

• 3. Re: Exporting a masked object for the web
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I see. In that case you might need to override everything by defining an artboard for the area to export and use that in the save for web dialog. The same would be possible by defining a slice and then selecting only that slice for export in Save for Web.

Mylenium

• 4. Re: Exporting a masked object for the web
                gwhPoster Level 1

Thanks - I'll try that out.

• 5. Re: Exporting a masked object for the web
                  JETalmage Level 6

VERSION?!

gwh:

It's not a Pattern Fill anymore if you have expanded it.

Try it again, this time with a Pattern Fill.

CS4 finally corrected the infuriating historic Illustrator display of all the content of a selected clipping path as its bounds. This should have also corrected the behavior of the bounds used when exporting a raster image of a clipping path; but I don't know.

[And why doesn't the huge, modal Save For Web dialog with its own preview window provide a raster cropping tool?]

JET

• 6. Re: Exporting a masked object for the web
                    gwhPoster Level 1

Hi,

I tried filling a square with a pattern fill then expanding it but this doesn't work because the pattern definition is no longer accurate, ie. I need to use the original pattern object in order for it to tile correctly.

I also tried the two previous suggestions, ie. defining an artboard the size of the pattern and then exporting and also tried defining a slice. Both of these methods failed because it seems illustrator is adding an extra 2 pixels to the overall pattern which destroys the tiling effect.

The only way I could get it to work was to copy the pattern tile, paste it into Photoshop and then trim off 2 pixels from all four sides. This seems like an awful lot of work though. I wish there was an easier way.

By the way I'm using CS4.