6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 26, 2009 5:29 AM by Steve Grisetti

Problem importing DVD

ChrisA54

I'm new to this.  I've imported dvd into Premier without difficulty before but I now have one which seems to import ok but only shows about a quarter (the top left part) of the image in the preview screen even when I select 'fit to screen'.  The dvd plays fine in ms media player etc.  I've search for some setting to change but not found what to do.  Anybody know the answer please???

• 1. Re: Problem importing DVD
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Chris,

Welcome to the forum.

Now, please tell us more about this DVD. Is is a DVD-Video (meant to be played via a software DVD player, or set-top player hooked up to a TV), or is it a DVD-Data, with AV files stored on it?

If the former, is it a commercial DVD-Video, or was it created in an authoring program, like PrE's, Encore, Roxio, etc., or was it created by a camera, or a DVR (DVD Recorder)?

All of these things can matter. This ARTICLE will also give you some background on DVD-Videos and their main building blocks, the .VOB files.

Also, what version of PrE are you using?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Problem importing DVD
            ChrisA54 Level 1

Thank you for welcome, input and the link.  My DVD was 'copied' from a VHS tape (it's a bit of CCTV footage) using a Panasonic recorder/player.  So I guess it is a DVD-video.  It was properly 'finalised' and plays happily on both the tv from the recorder or on the PC via ms media player for example.  My version of Premier Elements is long in the tooth; version 2.

• 3. Re: Problem importing DVD
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Those VHS/DVD burners can produce some pretty iffy files sometimes.

I'd recommend you convert the DVD files to a DV-AVI using MPEG Streamclip, per the FAQs to the right of this forum.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415317?tstart=0

• 4. Re: Problem importing DVD
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Unfortunately, DVR units do a poor job with their rudimentary menuing functions. This really messes up the first .VOB in the series. The other .VOB's should just be the enclosed MPEG-2 video files - it's that first .VOB that gets messed up.

Steve's suggestion on rippiing and converting to DV-AVI will get you the best results.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Problem importing DVD
                  ChrisA54 Level 1

Thank you, Steve. I have done as you suggested.  MPEG Streamclip crashed with my DVD because I had copied several clips from the VHS tape (it warned that there were breaks in the data).  So I made seperate DVDs for each clip and then it was happy.  Your suggestion has solved my problem, thank you

Chris

• 6. Re: Problem importing DVD
                    Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Great news, Chris! Happy moviemaking!