2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 25, 2009 9:42 AM by Skullmaker

Need second opinion. Corrupt preferences?

PrepressPro1 Adobe Community Professional

Illustrator is not correctly applying overprint to black text. When I save out an Illustrator PDF the overprint is not retained. When I save the same file with the same PDF preset from another machine the overprint is correct. The machine not retaining the correct overprints also does not show version info in the Menu>Illustrator>About Illustrator splash screen. The version info on this splash screen is just missing. When I use the Menu>Help>Updates the program says Illustrator is up to date. Is this symptomatic of corrupt preferences? Or is there another direction I might take to correct these issue? System is Mac OS 10.5.8, running Illustrator CS3.

• 1. Re: Need second opinion. Corrupt preferences?
          Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

PrepressPro,

Why not just try to Move the folder and see?

It is reversible so you can always move it back, no harm done.

If it helps, you may move different files/folders out to see which one is the troublemaker, a bit like the way to deal with corrupt fonts.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Need second opinion. Corrupt preferences?
            Skullmaker Level 3

Hello PrepressPro1,

If you think the preference are corrupt this is the info I found (Please remember to backup everything first, then check the backup before you proceed):

6. Re-create the Illustrator preferences files.

You can re-create Illustrator preferences files to eliminate problems caused by a damaged preferences file.

Note: Re-creating the Illustrator preferences files restores settings to their defaults.

To re-create the Illustrator preferences files:

1. Quit Illustrator.
            2. Drag the Adobe Illustrator [version] Settings folder from the Users/[user]/Library/Preferences folder to the Trash.
            3. Restart Illustrator.

If the problem recurs after you re-create the Illustrator preferences files, then the problem isn't related to preference files. To restore custom settings, drag the file you moved in step 2 back to its original location, and then click Replace to the alert "An item named 'Adobe Illustrator [version] Settings' already exists in this location. Do you want to replace it with the one you're moving?"

7. Change the Mac OS default printer.

Some system errors or freezes may be caused by an incompatible printer driver. To determine if the driver for the current default printer is causing the problem in Illustrator, change the default printer.

To change the default printer:

1. Choose Apple Menu > System Preferences.
            2. In System Preferences, click Print & Fax.
            3. (Mac OS X v10.4.x only). Click Printing.
            4. Choose a local printer--or choose a document printer, such as Adobe PDF--from the Default Printer pop-up menu (Mac OS X v10.5.x) or the Selected Printer In Print Dialog pop-up menu (Mac OS X v10.4.x). Do not choose a network printer, Last Printer Used, or the current default printer.

Note: If no other printer is available in the pop-up menu, then create a virtual PostScript printer and set it as the default by doing the following:

1. If the message "Click the lock to make changes" appears at the bottom of the Print & Fax window, then click the lock icon and authenticate.
              2. Click the plus sign (+) beneath the list of printers in the Print & Fax window.
              3. Click IP (Mac OS X v10.5.x) or IP Printer (Mac OS X v10.4.x).
              4. Choose Internet Printing Protocol - IPP from the Protocol pop-up menu.
              5. Type localhost in the Address text box.
              6. Type Virtual Printer in the Name text box.
              7. Click Add.
              8. Choose Virtual Printer from the Default Printer pop-up menu (Mac OS X v10.5.x) or the Selected Printer In Print Dialog pop-up menu (Mac OS X v10.4.x).

Once you have changed the default printer, try to re-create the problem in Illustrator. Then do one of the following:

• If the problem still occurs, then a printer driver is not the cause of the problem. Restore the previous default printer and proceed to task 8.

• If the problem no longer occurs, then install or reinstall the latest version of the driver for the previous default printer. (Go to the printer manufacturer's web site to download the latest driver.) Once you have installed the latest driver, open Print & Fax in System Preferences and restore that printer as the default printer. Then try again to re-create the problem in Illustrator. If the problem returns, then set the default printer back to the different printer or virtual PostScript printer that you chose in the steps above. Then, when you wish to print to your actual preferred printer from Illustrator, choose that printer in the Print dialog.

For the complete info: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/401/kb401028.html

Please let me know if any of these steps worked for you, If they did not, I will look for more options. I hope this helps!

1 person found this helpful