6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 25, 2009 1:06 PM by Wade_Zimmerman

Illustrator freezes when trying to "Repair" "Replace" a file

buddha777

Hi everyone,

First post here...

I just installed Illustrator and Photoshop (CS3) on my PC computer.

When I opened an Illustrator file that has linked images, I clicked on Repair (and Replace separately).

Unfortunately, this is where the screen and application froze. I have to cntrl alt delete and shut down the program.

The weird thing is that i see for a brief second, the window box that i would have to use to select the linked photoshop file.

But it just appears for a hot second and then disappears.

Can anyone help me out?

Much appreciated!!

-K

• 1. Re: Illustrator freezes when trying to "Repair" "Replace" a file
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

What operating system? The issue is not the application freezing, it is your file dialogs not being displayed correctly. AI is simply waiting for them to finish. It doesn't crash in the strict sense. Check your graphics card settings for anything that has to do with dialog placement. On Vista and Windows 7, try a different visual design. Also look into things like UAC, DEP and the compatibility modes for WinXP.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Illustrator freezes when trying to "Repair" "Replace" a file
            buddha777 Level 1

Hey Mylenium,

Thanks for the response.

I'm running the programs on Windows XP.

How do I look into the "compatibility" modes you mentioned on XP?

The weird thing is that on a previous version of CS on this computer, it worked totally fine.

thanks!

K

• 3. Re: Illustrator freezes when trying to "Repair" "Replace" a file
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Ah, I see. On XP it makes of course no sense to go looking for fancies. These are Vista and W7 exclusive and have been known to cause troubles. In you case, the only thing that would have any relevance is dialog placment in your graphics driver. If you have a dual screen setup, e.g. the NVidia driver would allow you to choose on which screen to present warnings and file dialogs. If you have forgotten to turn it off, it may interfere - you may have cosrtumized these options for your CS3, but the defualts may be wrong for CS4. Of course also simply trash the prefs. Move your C:\Documents and Settings\[You]\Application Data\Adobe\Illustrator CS4 Settings folder to a different location and the program will start with default prefs next time. I'm sure one of the two can help you solve this mystery. If all else fails, also installing a new graphics cayrd driver may help as this usually resets any potentially conflicting settings to factory defaults...

Mylenium

• 4. Re: Illustrator freezes when trying to "Repair" "Replace" a file
                buddha777 Level 1

Thanks!

Weird, but I don't see a Settings folder for Illustrator CS3 (don't have CS4) in the Application Data folder.

• 5. Re: Illustrator freezes when trying to "Repair" "Replace" a file
                  Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

buddha777,

You may try a search for the Adobe Illustrator CS3 Settings folder, including hidden files and folders.

You may also try to Ctrl+Alt+Shift during startup (the easy irreversible clearing of some preferences) or to Move the folder (the reversible and more thorough/tedious way)

• 6. Re: Illustrator freezes when trying to "Repair" "Replace" a file
                    Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Jacob Bugge wrote:

buddha777,

You may try a search for the Adobe Illustrator CS3 Settings folder, including hidden files and folders.

You may also try to Ctrl+Alt+Shift during startup (the easy irreversible clearing of some preferences) or to Move the folder (the reversible and more thorough/tedious way)

I would like to clarify something about the more tedious way of resetting the preferences. Trashing the settings folder will reset the preferences but it does more that Command (Control), Option (Alt), Shift (Shift) will also dumb so files that can become corrupt and cannot be reset by holding down those keys when restarting AI.

But just as important the folder itself can be corrupt and anything in it can then be prevented from functioning properly.

Why Illustrator's settings folder is so susceptible to this corruption is an issue that never seems to be address though it might be for the better that it is so susceptible  as it points to problems with fonts and other conflicts you have on your computer much earlier than many other applications.

For instance the problems that Suitcase Fusion 2 had with Illustrator it showed u there first and then later showed u in Photoshop as I recall and then ID.

It was those here on the Illustrator forum that brought the issue to the attention of developer and Thomas Penny who took care of the matter real quick.

So it is not just about it be more tedious as it is often necessary to move or trash the settings folder.