12 Replies Latest reply on Apr 1, 2011 1:12 PM by 4ever

Colors In Adobe Illustrator Print Muddy or Desaturated

4ever Level 1

I am trying to figure out why Illustrator CS4 prints colors muddy or desaturated, but if I print a webpage from Internet Explorer it looks fine. What should I check to correct my output to my Dell 3100cn.

• 1. Re: Colors In Adobe Illustrator Print Muddy or Desaturated
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Document modes must be RGB and the color mangement be set to Printer manages color. Everything else is pointless in uncalibrated environments as you just found out yourself.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Colors In Adobe Illustrator Print Muddy or Desaturated
            4ever Level 1

That is not a selectable option in Illustrator using the Dell 3100cn. I use "US Sheetfed Uncoated 2" at work with the Dell 3100cn there and it works beautifully. Never calibrated anything

• 3. Re: Colors In Adobe Illustrator Print Muddy or Desaturated
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I think the issue is still somewhat the same - you create a color profile mismatch because you either have assigned wrong ones (in AI, your printer driver or wherever) or none. Also check your printing modes - PostScript printing is different from PCL which is again different from GDI printing. The latter never works with CMYK. I strongly suspect that at work you send a PS/ PDF file to the printer and it does the rasterization whereas in your otehr setup you use a different setting. I would recommend you investigate that.

Mylenium

• 4. Re: Colors In Adobe Illustrator Print Muddy or Desaturated
                4ever Level 1

We are using PCL both places

• 5. Re: Colors In Adobe Illustrator Print Muddy or Desaturated
                  Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

I would check and compare the color Mode of the Documents at work and at home as obviously something is not the same.

Did you look to see if over print preview is turned on at either locations, that both are CMYK or RGB that your profiles are current?

That you have the same drivers you might have an older or newer one.

• 6. Re: Colors In Adobe Illustrator Print Muddy or Desaturated
                    4ever Level 1

Color handeling are identical  "let Illustrator handle color conversion" , printer profile at "US Web coated SWOP" and redering at relative colormetric. Still muddy colors on my dell 3100cn at home. I think that my printer must have somthing wrong with it. Any suggestions on a comparable color laser to replace it with? Thanks

• 7. Re: Colors In Adobe Illustrator Print Muddy or Desaturated
                      emil emil Level 4

Sounds like your monitor profile doesn't describe correctly how it displays colors and/or the printer profile doesn't describe correctly how your printer prints color values. Fixing this requires calibrating/profiling your monitor and printer and using properly color management.

However, since you say that you like the result when printing from IE which is apparently a lucky shot, you can reproduce that in Illustrator if you assign to the document the same color profile that your your monitor is using by choosing Edit > Assign Profile.

To check what monitor profile Illustrator uses, go to Edit > Color Settings > Working Spaces section, and from the RGB menu you will see the name of your monitor profile following Monitor RGB -

To confirm the color profile of the document in Illustrator, click on the arrow located at the bottom left of the document window, then choose Show > Document Color Profile.

Basically, having the document color space = monitor color space, results in no color management translation. Have in mind that this is not a proper way of color managing and while it luckily may work with this specific image that you printed from IE, it may not necessarily mean that all images will print with desired colors in this way.

• 8. Re: Colors In Adobe Illustrator Print Muddy or Desaturated
                        4ever Level 1

Is it possible that somehow it is getting color corrected more than once? Like the system is correcting it and Illustrator and the printer as well? I know in win 7 you can specify color profiles for each device in the control pannels, but I have no idea which icc.profile should be used for the printer or the monitor.

• 9. Re: Colors In Adobe Illustrator Print Muddy or Desaturated
                          Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

For the printer the profile changes from paper to paper you select the profile as profiled for that printer.

Fo instance many people use Adobe RGB which is wrong.

For instance many users leave the document as CMYK and the default printer profile of sRGB or if you s=change your settings to Adobe RGB then they leave it as Adobe RGB.

When the document is profiled in CMYK say as US SWOP Coated 2

Screen shot 2011-03-31 at 8.53.14 AM.png

This is the default RGB profile for the printer which is an RGB printer which does not make sense

This makes more sense

And converting to the RGB color space and using Adobe RGB for the color settings and choosing the paper's profile for that printer makes the most sense.

Screen shot 2011-03-31 at 8.59.46 AM.png

• 10. Re: Colors In Adobe Illustrator Print Muddy or Desaturated
                            4ever Level 1

When I am using the Dell 31000cn PS printer driver I can set both my document color profile and my printer profile to the same thing and get a very close color match, but it takes forever to download to the printer and some files are too large to even print. But if I use the Dell 3100cn PCL driver tha prints everything I don't see the "US Web coated (SWOP) v2" in the list of printer profiles so the output looks way off. Is there a place to manually copy that "US WEB coated (SWOP) v2.icm" to add it to the printer profiles dropdown list in Adobe Illustrator CS5? I have win 7 64bit. Thanks for all your help so far!!!

• 11. Re: Colors In Adobe Illustrator Print Muddy or Desaturated
                              Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

4ever wrote:

When I am using the Dell 31000cn PS printer driver I can set both my document color profile and my printer profile to the same thing and get a very close color match, but it takes forever to download to the printer and some files are too large to even print. But if I use the Dell 3100cn PCL driver tha prints everything I don't see the "US Web coated (SWOP) v2" in the list of printer profiles so the output looks way off. Is there a place to manually copy that "US WEB coated (SWOP) v2.icm" to add it to the printer profiles dropdown list in Adobe Illustrator CS5? I have win 7 64bit. Thanks for all your help so far!!!

I do not think you can select swop as that is a profile for a commercial press and to a laser printer you have to pick your printers profile for your printer.

The color loose its vibrance one you are printing to a cmyk printer and you are not going to get real accurate color from a laser printer.

Even on a commercial press you are going to loose vibrance in a cmyk environment.

You have to choose a profile selected for your printer and if you are printing to glossy pper you have to select glossy paper.

Do laser printers print to glossy paper?

• 12. Re: Colors In Adobe Illustrator Print Muddy or Desaturated
                                4ever Level 1

It lets me select SWOP uncoated if I use the postscript driver for the Dell 3100cn and the colors turn out fairly accurate. I just don't understand why I can't select SWOP uncoated if I use the PCL driver.