4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2009 6:25 PM by MichaelKazlow

Using ASP to email a completed Adobe form

drkenrich1688

I'm not a programmer and could use some help. I've ran Form Field Recognition on a .pdf file to create an editable form. I can post this on my website with the intention of having people fill in the blanks and submit it. That's where I get lost.

I'm with a host who supports .asp, but not much in CGI. They allow Perl, Python, PHP4, and PHP5 (whatever they are).

Is there a simple way to have the form saved and sent as either an attachment or as a copy of the form as completed on to an email address? Other than ssending it, I really don't even need it saved or entered into a database. All I need is the copy sent to be complete and look like the original form instead of a string of data. It is being sent to an office where there is little computer experience and even less creative understanding of what they may look at for processing.

With what little understanding I have, here's a flow chart.

Visitor opens .pdf form -> visitor enters all data -> visitor clicks on "submit" button -> form is saved as a .pdf file -> .pdf file is sent to a prearranged email address.

If someone can help by helping me understand this process and give me the line code I should include on my page to get the end .pdf file sent to [email address deleted by host], I'd appreciate it greatly.

Thank you,

Ken

• 1. Re: Using ASP to email a completed Adobe form
          MichaelKazlow MVP & Adobe Community Professional

What you want to do is not that simple. You need to hire someone to create the code that will save the data from the form and send it to you. When you open the file with the form data it can populate the values you need in a new copy of the original pdf file.

• 2. Re: Using ASP to email a completed Adobe form
            drkenrich1688 Level 1

Thank you. Somehow I figured it would be more difficult and convoluted

than it appears initially. I'd still like a little more detail of the process of what direction to look for in answers.

Ken Rich

• 3. Re: Using ASP to email a completed Adobe form
              drkenrich1688 Level 1

Here's an answer.

I did more research and trial and error and ended up finding that by going through the form process the first part was to "Run Form Field Recognition"

Next, I had to create and place a button on the page and turn it into a submit button (fairly easy).

Next, I went into the parameters for "Distribute The Form".

Once I loaded it on my website I found that completing the form and sending it went a blank form which the recipient was supposed to complete and sent back to me. So I tried an experiment. I figured the two form, the one on the web site and the one received were different somehow. I copied the received form to the website and used it in place of the original.

Now when it sends the form, I end up getting a completed form with the information in place.

There are still a few small details to work out, but it about done.

• 4. Re: Using ASP to email a completed Adobe form
                MichaelKazlow MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Users of Reader cannot send back the pdf file with  completed forms unless the file has extended rights. You may not use this feature if it will be used with 500 users or 500 uses, it violates the Acrobat license. If you want to send back data from the form you need a script.