12 Replies Latest reply on Jun 29, 2010 2:25 PM by Suexx1133

Adobe Reader Won't Open on Win 7

Suexx1133

11/20/09     Received brand new Dell Studio 17 with Adobe Reader 9.0 preinstalled

11/20          Instructions inside box said to download drivers before anything else.

11/20          Dell.com driver page had 14 recommended drivers listed, with instructions to download in certain order or my computer would turn to mush

11/20          Contacted Dell tech.  He began to download some of the drivers, then checked Device/Drivers, said I had all the dirvers I need. 14 recommended drivers still appear in the list.

11/20          Uninstalled pre installed McAfee Security.  Installed Avast!

11/20          Transferred files from old XP computer with transfer cable.  Transfer successful.

11/20          Tried to open some pdf files but could not. These documents were created in XP with WinZip and encrypted.  WinZip opened files, password began to open files, Adobe Reader began to initialize then stopped, error message popped up immediately followed by a window suggesting I send the info to MS.  Only one time I received the error message: Fatal error.  Acrobat failed to connect to a DDE server.

In the days following, I have uninstalled and reinstalled Adobe Reader 8 times.  I have always disabled my anti-virus, and any other running programs.  The last 3 times I had Windows Firewall turned off.  During these attempts, I created a pdf file on this computer (Win 7) and attempted to open Adobe Reader without success.  I've tried to open Adobe Reader from the shortcut on the desktop, and from the Start / All Programs file without success.

• 1. Re: Adobe Reader Won't Open on Win 7
          MichaelKazlow MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Is there are reason you are trying to use Reader 8 rather than Reader 9? I'd true the latest Reader 9.2

• 2. Re: Adobe Reader Won't Open on Win 7
            Suexx1133 Level 1

Actually, Mike, I have been dealing with Adobe Reader 9.2.  I'm afraid I badly structured that sentence.  I should have typed eight instead of 8 for the number of attempts I've made to install Adobe Reader 9.2.

• 3. Re: Adobe Reader Won't Open on Win 7
              Bernd Alheit Adobe Community Professional & MVP

During these attempts, I created a pdf file on this computer (Win 7) and attempted to open Adobe Reader without success. 

How did you create the pdf file?

• 4. Re: Adobe Reader Won't Open on Win 7
                Aaarrrahh6 Level 1

Suexx

You need to find out if its the winzip/encryption, the cable transfer or the windows 7 installation of adobe reader which is the problem.

I would

1) check if you can download .pdfs from the internet on your win7 machine and they open in adobe reader

if they dont then its got nothing to do with the xp machine its the installation of adobe reader on win7 which is the problem

2) if they do open on your win7 machine - copy the files from the xp machine onto a memory stick (ruling out cable transfer problems etc)

do not encrypt them or zip them just - copy them straight

if it works then its either the cable transfer or winzip/encryption to blame

if it doesnt work you need to look into it further

Hope this helps

• 5. Re: Adobe Reader Won't Open on Win 7
                  Suexx1133 Level 1

How did I create pdf file:  Scanned documents to XP computer.  First with HP 7200 series All-In-One, then with Epson Scanner.  Downloaded CutePDF Writer and printed documents with it.  Sent printed file to Win Zip, then encrypted it.  Had Adobe Reader 9.0 installed and working which opened the documents.  Some bank statements, I printed directly from the bank's web page.

I've created two pdf files on this Win 7 computer by printing them with CutePDF Writer.

• 6. Re: Adobe Reader Won't Open on Win 7
                    Suexx1133 Level 1

Thank you, Aaarrrah, I will try your suggestions.

• 7. Re: Adobe Reader Won't Open on Win 7
                      Suexx1133 Level 1

1) check if you can download .pdfs from the internet on your win7 machine and they open in adobe reader

I saved a bank statement in .pdf format to My Docs (I did not print it to CutePDF Writer) and received the same error message when I tried to open it in AR.  I tried to view this thread in .pdf format and Internet Explorer stopped working.

• 8. Re: Adobe Reader Won't Open on Win 7
                        maos10

I totally agree, why don't you try reader9 it is updated and I think can really catch up with windows 7.

Black Friday 2009 Deals Online

• 9. Re: Adobe Reader Won't Open on Win 7
                          Suexx1133 Level 1

Well guess what?  I contacted Dell, bit the bullet, and paid for software service.  Not at first.  A Dell tech tried to help me because my laptop is still new, just barely a week old.  After performing the exact same steps that I have, he gave up and recommended Dell Solution Service, which is a premium (read pay for it) service.  The first tech said he was so sure he could successfully install (so that I could actually use it) Adobe Reader, that if he failed to do so my money would be refunded.  He couldn't do it.  He finally called in his supervisor. The supervisor couldn't install AR 9.2.  He finally resorted to Adobe Reader 8.1.3 version, and it works.   I'm greatly relieved, but I can't help wondering why, if AR 9.0 and 9.2 aren't compatible with Win 7 as I was told, why did my laptop come pre installed with Adobe 9.0?  Just a quirk I guess.  The main thing is I can now open my numerous .pdf files.

• 10. Re: Adobe Reader Won't Open on Win 7
                            Daimon@Manning&Napier

I was installing Adobe Reader 9.3 (redistributable) and got this same problem on Windows 7 Professional. The only evidence that Reader had tried to launch was that there were multiple processes for it running in the Task Manager.

I removed Reader and rebooted the PC then installed the public one right off the Adobe.com web site...no change in behavior.

I was able to run it in compatibility mode for WinXP but do not want to keep it that way as multiple users will need to use this.

I then installed ALL available updates from Microsoft Update...no change.

If it helps, this is a clean install of Windows 7 Professional OEM from Lenovo. Office Viewers only are installed but there is no real Office suite on the PC.

What will be the limitations if I have to leave this running in compatibility mode if any?

• 11. Re: Adobe Reader Won't Open on Win 7
                              Ada Levins

I've been trying to install Adobe Reader 9.3 on a Dell Win 7 also. When I try to start the AR program, I get a message that it stopped working. It doesn't begin to work, let alone stopping. Adobe or someone needs to do something about this.

• 12. Re: Adobe Reader Won't Open on Win 7
                                Suexx1133 Level 1

Yes, I agree re Adobe fix.  I finally had to install Adobe Reader 8.  It works with Win 7