6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 26, 2009 2:45 PM by the_wine_snob

Full 64-bit Plus Major GPU Acceleration Coming to PrPro

the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, this is a BLOG SPOT on upcoming features for PrPro, and not for PrE - yet!

I'm posting the link here, because much discussion has gone on here, regarding full 64-bit utilization, not just certification that the 32-bit programs will work in a 64-bit environment. The same has been asked about full GPU utilization. Here is a peek into the near (?) future. What plays well with PrPro often finds its way to PrE. Unfortunately, there are no hints of "when," so it would be only a guess to speculate on the trickle down to PrE. Still, it makes for interesting forum discussion.

Hope that someone finds this as interesting, as I did.

Hunt

• 1. Re: Full 64-bit Plus Major GPU Acceleration Coming to PrPro
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

My future plan (for PrePro) is when CS5 64bit is released, and Win7 64bit is at SP1, I am going to build a 64bit computer... i7 processor and 12gig of ram on an Asus motherboard

My current plan is an ATI video card... but may have to consider nVidia if CS5 includes the GPU accelleration

• 2. Re: Full 64-bit Plus Major GPU Acceleration Coming to PrPro
            the_wine_snob Level 9

John,

You and I are in about the same boat. I was working towards a new box, and figured that it would be about the end of the CS4.2 run, or early in the CS5 run. Now, I might just hold off a bit, and see what the CUDA, and OpenCL. As I commented in Dennis' thread on his blog, nVidia Quadros are not a GPU that one purchases as an interim card.

Hunt

• 3. Re: Full 64-bit Plus Major GPU Acceleration Coming to PrPro

He mentioned the GeForce GTX 285 (which I think is less $$ than the Quadro line) but by the time I'm ready to build, I'll see what is current

It "could" even be that CS5 will do something similar with the ATI line... competition is GOOD for us buyers!

• 4. Re: Full 64-bit Plus Major GPU Acceleration Coming to PrPro
                the_wine_snob Level 9

John,

I agree. Dennis' blog spot indicated that I need to just sit back, exhale and wait a moment - or two. No rush at this time. Besides, who knows when Intel will give us the i8, or whatever it will be called?

Hunt

• 5. Re: Full 64-bit Plus Major GPU Acceleration Coming to PrPro

I did a quick price check... the 285 is under $400 and the Quadro line is about $1,400 and up

If I decide I need Cuda technology (which I don't think I will, if I stick with SD editing) the GeForce GTX 285 is MY only choice

But, $350 or so compared to under $150 for a 1Gig ATI 48xx is a big jump for me... and not needed if I stick with SD editing

Since moving to HD editing would also mean a new camera ($2,000 or more?) and a different burner, and as anyone I know who might receive one of my family movies is not yet using BluRay, I see it as HIGHLY doubtful that I will switch to HD

So... for now... my plan will stay at a 1Gig ATI 48xx card (I know 1Gig isn't needed for PrePro... but Photoshop works better with more VRam)

Interesting technology, but after thinking a bit... right now I don't see a need for a Cuda-enabled video card

• 6. Re: Full 64-bit Plus Major GPU Acceleration Coming to PrPro
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Right now, my jury is still out. I've been flirting with HD, and still do a bit of 3D, so my existing (non-CUDA capable) Quadro is nice. I'm not sure that I have gotten my money's worth out of it, but it has been rock-solid to date.

What I have to determine is whether I still have enough clients, who will keep me busy enough to justify the $. Maybe, but maybe not. To date, a few have talked of HD, but SD has been what they ended up using and being satisfied. Also, as each quarter goes by, I seem to be easing more towards full retirement. Too much wine in the cellar, and I need to tend to that full-time!

Anyway, I can wait, and get by with what I have and what I am doing. As I have aged, I have become much more patient about things like computers and new formats.

Hunt