10 Replies Latest reply on Nov 26, 2009 4:43 AM by Adolfo Rozenfeld

I regret "Trim comp to work area"..

ingvarai Level 1

I have some footages, one 20 seconds long,  and one 13 seconds long.

I make a new comp and use both of them.

Then I adjust the work area to 10 seconds, and invoke "Trim comp to work area". Later I want a larger work area, I want all the 13 secodsn of footage A, and perhaps all 20 seconds.

Ok, I have tried a lot before asking here in this forum, but the opposite of "Trim comp to work area" seems to be absent-. How do I set the work area to, let us say 20 seconds, so that I again get all of footage B and some of footage A?

Ingvar

• 1. Re: I regret "Trim comp to work area"..
          Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee

Wouldn't going to Composition > Composition Settings and typing 20 seconds in the duration field work for you?

2 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: I regret "Trim comp to work area"..
            ingvarai Level 1
            function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

Wouldn't going to Composition > Composition Settings and typing 20 seconds in the duration field work for you?

Yes, it will work in a slow and bureaucratic, way, like applying for something the government is issuing to those found worthy.. In my NLE, I am used to repeatedly zoom in and out, move back and forth in time, just hovering over the time line and using the mouse wheel. Speed speed speed - I want speed. I had hoped there was something useful, int the style of After Effect's ingenuity in other areas.
            Ingvar

• 3. Re: I regret "Trim comp to work area"..

Yes, but in an NLE the timeline's duration is defined by the content you use in it. In the same way that a "video track" exists in an NLE independently from the content (clips) you add to it, whereas an AE "layer" is defined by its' content.

But do file a feature request for a fast way to extend a Comp's duration, if you want. It's not a bad idea at all.

• 4. Re: I regret "Trim comp to work area"..
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

On could probably cobble together a script that does this. This one already works for pre-comps and it might not be all too difficult to modify it to extend the active comp by checking for the longest layer. I would argue, though, that your problem comes from your way of thinking. IMHO you're too keen on using AE as an extension/ replacement for an NLE here and there and then get stuck when features work differently...

Mylenium

• 5. Re: I regret "Trim comp to work area"..
                  ingvarai Level 1
                  function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

I would argue, though, that your problem comes from your way of thinking. IMHO you're too keen on using AE as an extension/ replacement for an NLE here and there and then get stuck when features work differently...

I disagree. My point, if you read the topic title, is that I want to reverse an operation in the same easy way I initially did the operation. I want to be able to extend the work area again, just by dragging a slider, or something equally user friendly, with the same ease of operation. As it is now, by invoking "Trim comp to work area", I am stuck.

This has nothing to do with an NLE vs an effects application. If something can be done in one way (entering a number as Adolfo explains), it certainly can be done in a faster way. My profession is programmer, and I deal with these things all day long. I maintain that there should be an easier, and not the least faster, way to gain more headroom for the work area, than typing in a number. What if the number is wrong? I have to type it again. What I want, is to just drag a slider, and thereby reveal what's underneath. In this case, I want to drag a slider to see  more of my video clip, and stop dragging when I am satisfied and start to work. Typing a number.. hey..

Ingvar

• 6. Re: I regret "Trim comp to work area"..
                    Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I'm not sure if I share that view. It may be inconvenient, but to me it's logical. The problem I see if one were to add an reverse option, is that you could get yourself in a whole lot of trouble with pre-comps and such. Therefore in my opinion the whole thing is not as trivial as it may look on first sight - trimming a parent comp does not interfere with anything and the program does not need to perform a billion extra checks and use rules on how to treat other items, but the inverse brings up a lot of problems. Especially your desire to auto-extend the timeline when an item is added has potentially massive repercussions. To give a simple example: If you insert an item in a pre-comp and that comp auto extends, how does that affect the main comp? Does the pre-comp layer retain its original duration? Does the main comp grow forward in time? Does it grow in both directions? Does it auto-offset otehr layers? These are the terms in which I'm thinking. If you get my meaning: What is "expected behavior" in an NLE, could wreak havoc with a meticulously laid out compositing setup and I'd be wary implementing a feature without realyl thinking hard about it. I could imagine that AE might retain the original durations of comps before they were trimmed in the project data structure, but that would be of limited use, anyway, if you created the comp with utterly wrong durations in the first place. It's realyl a mixed bag.

Mylenium

• 7. Re: I regret "Trim comp to work area"..
                      ingvarai Level 1

Ok Mylenium, I read what you say and I try to understand and I start to think that you have a point here, although I am reluctant to admit it.. Thanks for using your time to help me!

• 8. Re: I regret "Trim comp to work area"..

What I was thinking, regarding Ingvarai's wish, was that Comps would not extend their duration automatically but maybe that you could use a modifier key when moving the end of the work area in such a way that you could extend the Comp beyond the current duration when doing so. This would also mean  that you could extend the Comp duration also to the left, instead of always doing it to the right.

• 9. Re: I regret "Trim comp to work area"..
                          ingvarai Level 1

Exactly, Adolfo.

Ingvar

• 10. Re: I regret "Trim comp to work area"..

File that feature request, then!

Remember, the best feature requests explain the need/problem (why is it cumbersome not having it) rather than just describe a proposed solution.