11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 29, 2009 8:29 AM by the_wine_snob

PE8: Distorted Video Preview

StevesScreenName

Clips I captured from my DV Camcorder render properly but are distorted while playing in preview window.  Any ideas on how to fix?  Thanks.

pe8.jpg

• 1. Re: PE8: Distorted Video Preview
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Are you saying that this video is from a miniDV camcorder, captured by Premiere Elements over a FireWire connection?

• 2. Re: PE8: Distorted Video Preview
            StevesScreenName Level 1

Capture setup: DV camcorder ->fireware cable-> PE8 using Microsoft DV (dvsd) encoder.  The preview is ok on my desktop PC but not my laptop, a Dell Inspiron 6000.  I imported a DIVX AVI clip and got the same result in the preview so I think it must be a general preview video problem and not something specific to the clips.  I just loaded PE8 on my laptop so this is the first time I've used it here.

• 3. Re: PE8: Distorted Video Preview

Go to Windows Update manually and ensure you have all of the latest updates, including the Custom or non-critical updates. These often include approved updates for your video card. Also, ensure you have the latest version of Quicktime, which plays an important role in all video editing.

At worst, you may want to do a repair/install or an uninstall/reinstall of Premiere Elements. It could be a codec or other module didn't install properly.

But I'd make sure my system was up to date first.

• 4. Re: PE8: Distorted Video Preview

BTW, maybe I'm just confused, but what's an DVSD encoder? If you're capturing from miniDV over FireWire there should be no re-encoding of your video at all. It should stream right in, if you're using Premiere Elements or even MovieMaker or WinDV to do your capture.

If you're re-encoding the video somehow, that could well be your problem. (Divx will definitely not work in Premiere Elements.) Pure DV, directly from your miniDV cam, is the ideal format for editing in this program.

And can you confirm that this is indeed a miniDV (tape based) camcorder? DV can mean a lot of things, not all of which are compatible video.

• 5. Re: PE8: Distorted Video Preview
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

While Steve works on the display issue with the Captured footage, I want to comment on this:

imported a DIVX AVI clip and got the same result in the preview so I think it must be a general preview video problem and not something specific to the clips.

DivX is an almost impossible CODEC to edit. First, it's very highly compressed and is a delivery-only CODEC. While it will play nicely on a DivX/Xvid enabled player, editing is virtually impossible with it. If one gets lucky, they might get Audio, but no Video, or the reverse. Very seldom will they get both, in an NLE, and even if they do, the high compression will kill all quality.

Just so that you know, and good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: PE8: Distorted Video Preview
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

I would also suggest getting the very latest video drivers. If you have nVidia, make sure to disable both PhysX and 3D Stereovision, gamer-only modules in the nVidia console. These can really mess things up in Adobe programs.

Also, some of the latest versions of QT Player (7.6.x) have given Adobe programs fits. The "last known good" version is QT 7.5.5.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: PE8: Distorted Video Preview
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Another thought on display issues.

Go to your Control Panel>System>Hardware>Performance tab (might be slightly different, depending on OS) and look for Hardware Acceleration. If it's set to Max, try Min. If set to Min try Max. If this helps, then test incrementing up, or down, by one tick mark, until it doesn't help any more. Go back to the last setting that did help.

Also, check your OpenGL settings.

In PrE 8, there is a GPU Acceleration setting - experiment with it ON, and OFF.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: PE8: Distorted Video Preview
                        StevesScreenName Level 1

Thanks for the suggestions, I tried all of them short of reinstalling since I'd just installed - nothing helped.  I give up.  I thought the quicktime update would do it but it didn't.  Funny how I've never had a problem with a video player, ever, except the premiere preview.  Also strange how it can thumbnail and render properly.  I don't suppose there's a way to plug-in another video player for the preview.

• 9. Re: PE8: Distorted Video Preview
                          StevesScreenName Level 1

When capturing DV from a mini DV camcorder using the default Windows driver, the resultant video shows its codec as DVSD.  Premiere didn't actually encode itself, but the resulting video is encoded.

• 10. Re: PE8: Distorted Video Preview
                            the_wine_snob Level 9
                            I don't suppose there's a way to plug-in another video player for the preview.

No, the preview player is hard coded in. About the time of PrPro 1.0 (do not know where PrE was at that time), Adobe dropped the DirectShow player for their own.

Sorry,

Hunt

• 11. Re: PE8: Distorted Video Preview
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

The DV-AVI Type II will show DVSD (for SD material) as the CODEC.

Now, are you only having this display issue on the laptop? Re-reading the thread, that seems to be the case.

If this is true, then the task will be to find out what the difference is for the laptop.

I looked, but did not see, the video card in the laptop. Maybe I missed that. If you posted that info, please point me to the reply #, or post the video card for the laptop.

NLE programs work more closely with the video drivers, than just plain players will. That is why one often has poor playback in an NLE, but WMP, or similar shows no problems. Video drivers that are way out of date might not exhibit problems in WMP, but might go bonkers with PrE, or another NLE.

Sorry that none of the suggestions have worked, so far, but good luck,

Hunt