6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 27, 2009 11:15 AM by the_wine_snob

Getting random white noise in Premier Pro CS3 audio

McCoffee

I'm working with Premier Pro CS3 on a simple 15 minute slide show with approx. 150 pictures and 3 songs in WAV format. In each of the three songs, I'm getting 1-second bursts of white noise - on left or right or both channels - approx. 3-4 times in each song.  When played outside of Premier Pro, all songs are clean with no white noise.  None of the songs are too 'hot'; show three have good levels in Soundbooth. I've scanned all of the audio sections in Help and can find nothing that might explain the cause and I'd appreciate some guidance.  I've worked with previous versions of Premier Pro for years and have never run into this.  Thanks.

• 1. Re: Getting random white noise in Premier Pro CS3 audio
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Might be your hardware, OS, setup, tuning, processes, services, any number of things. Hard to tell without details.

• 2. Re: Getting random white noise in Premier Pro CS3 audio
            McCoffee Level 1

My copy of CS3 is running on an ASUS P6 motherboard with an i7 2.66GHz Quad Core processor, 600GB RAID 5 array,  with 6 GB DDR3 SDRAM (3.5 GB usable) and 32-bit Windows 7 OS.  Creative Titanium sound board and a GeForce GTX 260 video board with 896 MB RAM. I'm not aware of any tuning processes for audio in PPro, so if that may help please point me in the right direction.  Thanks.

• 3. Re: Getting random white noise in Premier Pro CS3 audio
              Harm Millaard Level 7

I always get suspicious when I hear Creative. Do you have the same problem when using on-board sound? Your hardware looks good and should not give you problems. You have compression and indexing turned off on your disks?

• 4. Re: Getting random white noise in Premier Pro CS3 audio
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Have you updated your Creative driver? That would be one of the first things that I would do.

Next, in Soundbooth, do you see the noise in the Waveform? In PrPro, when you zoom in both vertically and horizontally on the Audio Track, do you see it in the Waveform?

Some folk have had great luck using ASIO4ALL as their ASIO driver. It has cleared up many issues with a broad range of equipment. I do not recall your exact problem, but then I might have missed that one. Note: after you download and install ASIO4ALL, you'll need to go to Audio Hardware and set it as your Input and Output. This driver has been very helpful on the Audition forum, and with all sorts of issues and some very esoteric hardware.

Hope that something helps, and good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Getting random white noise in Premier Pro CS3 audio
                  McCoffee Level 1

Great advice.  I don't see the noise in Soundbooth, but if I zoom in on the waveform in PPro it's visible.  The drivers for my Creative Titaniom Fatal1ty board are the latest.  I've seen the ASIO setting but wasn't sure if I should use it over the PPro default settings.  I'll install the ASIO4ALL driver and see if that helps. I'll also try Harm's suggestion/question about the problem occuring when using the on-board sound.  I'll report back on the results, so I'm going to leave this open for the time being.  Thanks to both WS and Harm for your helpful advice.

• 6. Re: Getting random white noise in Premier Pro CS3 audio
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Hope that something helps. The only, even similar, such Audio issues have been Transients added to Exported Audio at cuts. Otherwise, PrPro is very good with Audio, and usually doesn't add any distortion, so long as the Audio source is not heavily clipped. This can result in about what you describe, but would happen with any use. Some times, different players might require more critical listening, but this distortion will be in any.

Good luck, and please let us know what you find out.

Hunt