5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2008 12:39 PM by

no background color

future-architect
      i have a picture, and i set the canvas backround to transparent. how come when i put the image up to my site though, the background of it is white?
        • 1. Re: no background color
          Level 7
          >>>how come when i put the image up to my site though, the background of it
          >>>is white?

What format is the file that you're putting on the web?

e.g. JPG does not support transparency (despite what you see on screen in
          Fireworks at design time) so you'd have to export it as a PNG.

--
          Regards

John Waller

• 2. Re: no background color
            future-architect Level 1
            im saving it for the web as a .JPEG in photoshop
            there are two differnt .png's - 8.png and 24.png. whats the difference, and which one should i use?

also, how do i export an image in fireworks? i tried it before, but i dont know why it doesnt show on my website when i upload it.
            • 3. Re: no background color
              Level 7
              Hi Future,

> there are two differnt .png's - 8.png and 24.png. whats the difference,
              > and
              > which one should i use?
              >
              > also, how do i export an image in fireworks? i tried it before, but i dont
              > know why it doesnt show on my website when i upload it.

No answer to number one, but to export from FW, you set up the Optimize
              panel to whatever you want the export to be (generally, jpg for pictures,
              gif for cartoon-type graphics) then File>Export> and save it to your DW
              site's images folder. Then, of course, you bring in the image to your page
              from DW and make sure you put the images folder to your remote site.

Aloha,

Jerry

• 4. Re: no background color
                SiamJai
                quote:

Originally posted by: future-architect
                there are two differnt .png's - 8.png and 24.png. whats the difference, and which one should i use?

Use PNG 8 if your image is composed of only a few colors. This format has an indexed palette, much like a GIF. It is ideal for small filesize and supports transparency.

PNG 24 has better color reproduction (true RGB), but it doesn't support alpha transparency, much like a JPG.

If you want both true color + alpha transparency, use PNG 32. Be aware though that the filesize could be considerably larger in this format.

SiamJai
                ~~~~
                http://design.thaiwonders.com - Innovative Fireworks & Game Art Community
                • 5. Re: no background color
                  the information on exporting as a PNG really helped me a lot. thank you very much