9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2009 6:03 AM by Jean-Claude Tremblay

Illustrator CS4 saves two files?

dufusboy Level 1

Hi all, hopefully someone can help?

When I save a file as an .eps from Illustrator it also saves the same file but adds _01 onto the end so I end up with twofiles saved of th same thing? Does anyone know how to stop this?

Many thanks,

S

• 1. Re: Illustrator CS4 saves two files?
          Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

S,

Are the two files identical (and with identical size)?

Apart from that, why EPS?

• 2. Re: Illustrator CS4 saves two files?
            dufusboy Level 1

HI, yes the content of the files is identical but the file that saves with the "-01" at the end is a slightly larger file size?

For example the one I am working on at the moment looks like this:

Batteries.eps = 328 KB

Batteries-01.eps = 340KB

Saving them as  .eps as I importing them into another program.

Cheers,

S

• 3. Re: Illustrator CS4 saves two files?

S,

I think we have never seen this issue before. I presume you are saving to the harddisk, not through a network; otherwise, you may try to change that.

Unless/until someone comes up with a better answer, you may try a reversible resetting of the preferences (so nothing is lost if it does not help): Move the folder.

• 4. Re: Illustrator CS4 saves two files?
                dufusboy Level 1

HI, yes I'm saving direct to the desktop. Just tried the moving the settings folder to make new preferences and that didn't help.

I noticed when I was testing it to see if it had worked that when I save the file the duplicate file saves at the same time but at first is labelled as "AI Temp. . . . " then it switches file name to the same as the original file but with the ending -01

It's not the end of the world but just a little annoying.

Thanks for your suggestions though.

Cheers,

S

• 5. Re: Illustrator CS4 saves two files?

S,

I noticed when I was testing it to see if it had worked that when I save the file the duplicate file saves at the same time but at first is labelled as "AI Temp. . . . " then it switches file name to the same as the original file but with the ending -01

Acrobat may have a bad habit of creating temp files, so if you have Acrobat installed it may worth reinstalling it. If you only have an older version of Reader, you may try upgrading it.

• 6. Re: Illustrator CS4 saves two files?
                    dufusboy Level 1

Hi, tries that and it does seem to have worked!!

Nice one, thanks for all your help with this.

Chers,

S

• 7. Re: Illustrator CS4 saves two files?
                      dufusboy Level 1

Problem solved. Thanks for all your helpful advice with this.

Cheers,

S

• 8. Re: Illustrator CS4 saves two files?

You are welcome, S.

• 9. Re: Illustrator CS4 saves two files?
                          Jean-Claude Tremblay User Group Manager

Hi, here if what is happening. When you save as EPS, in the Save Dialog, if you have the "Use Artboard" checked and the Ratio button set to all, Illustrator will save all Artboard into individual eps file AND also save one EPS that include all artboards in the file. This even if you have only one artboard in your file. That why in your case you have what look like two similar EPS files created. To eliminate that behavior you have two choice. (1) Uncheck the "Use Artboard" or in the Range field enter 1 instead of using the "All" Ratio.

One things worth mentioning, is that when using the  "Use Artoard" option all artboard saved as EPS is also getting clipped to the bounding of the artboard itself including Bleed setting if one is defined in the document. (Illustartor automaticly adding a clipping). When this option if Off, Illustrator will not clip the content to the artboard, but will use the bounding box of all objects in the document as the bounding box attributes.