7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 27, 2009 9:32 AM by the_wine_snob

How to save split clips

stillerfan50

After "Split Clip"ing a video scene, how do I save the individual clips as separate files on my hard drive?

• 1. Re: How to save split clips
          the_wine_snob Level 9

The easiest way to do this is with the WAB (Work Area Bar, that little bracket at the top of the Timeline), and then just Export/Share to the desired format/CODEC, and in the Export/Share settings, choose Export Work Area Bar. You then name and locate the Exported file.

Good luck,

Hunt

See Attached for the look and location of the WAB:

• 2. Re: How to save split clips
            stillerfan50 Level 1

THANKS!  That's exactly what I was looking for!

I was surprised that the process takes so long.  I was expecting something like a quick copy/paste file operation.  This looks like it actually did some rendering.  Saving a 4 minute clip took about 4 minutes to render/save to a file.

Are my export settings correct?  I'm saving as Microsoft DV Avi file.  The only other export setting I changed was setting the Range to Work Area Bar.

Are there other faster ways to do this?  Maybe this is just the fact that we're dealing with complex video files (rather than text files)?

• 3. Re: How to save split clips
              A.T. Romano Level 7

stillerfan50

What version of Premiere Elements are you using?

Typically with versions up to and including Premiere Elements 7, it was a quick process to save as DV AVI for later use via File Menu/Export/Movie. In Premiere Elements 8, this is no longer a File Menu/Export/Menu for this purpose. So, for DV AVI, Share/Personal Computer/AVI with a preset of DV NTSC Stardard or DV NTSC Widescreen.

How long are these split clips, where and how did you split them, and what was their source and format? What was the Premiere Elements project preset (new project dialog) that you used for this project?

All of the above is trying to get at the expectation for time required for your export.

ATR

• 4. Re: How to save split clips
                the_wine_snob Level 9
                I was surprised that the process takes so long.  I was expecting something like a quick copy/paste file operation.  This looks like it actually did some rendering.  Saving a 4 minute clip took about 4 minutes to render/save to a file.

That is about correct, but let's see if we can speed things up just a bit.

If you have DV-AVI source files, and are Exporting to DV-AVI, there is a checkbox for "Recompress." Uncheck that, and test. Your Export time should go down. The exact location of that checkbox might change, version to version. In PrE 4, it's found in Export Movie Settings>Video, in the middle-right of the dialog screen.

Hope that this helps,

Hunt

• 5. Re: How to save split clips
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

With Export/Share, the system's speed can really affect the time required. With SD material, the system's I/O sub-system, i.e. the HDD's and their setup, is very important. The CPU also plays a roll in how quickly this will take place. On my workstation, Export is about 1:4 (1/4 the real time Duration). With Recompress checked, it gets close to 1:1, which is about where you are.

With certain HD source files, it will use the CPU more heavily, and can be 4:1 (4x the real time Duration).

Also, Effects can take longer - some, much longer. I use Neat Video (3rd party) for old VHS tapes, that have been digitized. This adds about 2 - 3x the normal Export times. Some, like Magic Bullet Looks (3rd party) can bump this up to 5 - 7x the normal Export times.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: How to save split clips
                    stillerfan50 Level 1

A.T. Romano....

I'm using PE 4.  The original source are 20+ years of video tapes.  Some are 8mm up to 2 hours in length. Some are DV tapes of an hour in length.  I'm using PE 4 "Split Clip" function to split these captured videos into varies lengths.  These are home videos so most average a few min in length.  But some can be as long as 30+min or as shorter than a minute.

In creating the project, the project settings ar NTCS-DV-Standard 48 KHZ

Wine Snob....

I deselected "recompress" and the rendering time went down to 4:1 (Four minutes video: 1min rendering) just as you suggested.  Am I losing anything (picture quality) by deselecting "recompress"?

All.....

I'm Spliting/saving these 20+ years of video thinking this is the best way to preserve, catalog, index these videos.  But I'm open to other suggestions or better ideas.  Ideally, it would be nice to have 20+ years of video saved that is searchable by things like date, persons, events, etc...

Paul

• 7. Re: How to save split clips
                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                      I deselected "recompress" and the rendering time went down to 4:1 (Four minutes video: 1min rendering) just as you suggested.  Am I losing anything (picture quality) by deselecting "recompress"?

With DV-AVI source files to DV-AVI, no, you are not loosing anything. Now, when mixing formats, such as DV-AVI to MPEG, you might want to check this box. The best test for your source and output would be to do it both ways. Burn to a DVD RW and test on a set-top player, hooked to a TV set. Have these two versions of the same WAB section butted to each other (or maybe a title in between), and see if you can tell a difference. A variation of this test would be to place one of the DV-AVI Exports on Video Track 1, and the other on Video Track 2. Apply the Effect>Crop to each, basically creating a PiP, but each will occupy one half of the screen. You might want to also Apply Effect>Motion>Position, so that the exact same area of the files is displayed, side-by-side. Do you see any difference?

Good luck, and please report.

Hunt