4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2009 9:36 AM by the_wine_snob

Exported file size issue

nin9999 Level 1

MacBook 2.4Ghz 4GB Premiere Pro CS4 4.2 AME 4.2 - Noob    

I am having issues with the balance between quality and output size of my exported videos. The videos are 960X600 screencast videos so its not live video but recording of the screen and audio.

I was getting roughly 4MB/min and ideally id like to get down to around 2MB/min.

My settings originally were :

H.264

MP4

15fps

Profile High

Level 5.0

VBR2 .75/1.5

AAC Mono 44.1 96kbps

and i got good quality however i need to reduce the size more.

I then tried lowering VBR2 target to .2MB/1MB and did get the filesize down to 2.33MB /min. The problem is the video quality suffered a little so things arent as crisp.

Then I tried exporting full size high quality 1280X800, 15fps, VBR2 3/6MB etc and I used HandBrake for the final encoding.

Handbrake settings:

H.264

MP4

2 Pass

200kbps target bitrate

web optimized

This gave me the 2MB/min i was looking for and the quality is still good.

So my question - is there something I am missing in the AME export settings that would help reduce file size without reducing the detail? I would rather not add an extra step in the workflow with Handbrake but I guess i will if i have to.

Handbrake has a few other options that are set by default such as entropy/CABAC which I dont think AME has.

Any suggestions or insight is much appreciated.

Thanks J

• 1. Re: Exported file size issue
          the_wine_snob Level 9

There is always a balancing act between file size and quality. There will also be differences between CODEC's used. Often, your delivery will determine which ones can be used.

The best route, IMHO, would be to Export at the highest quality, and then use Handbrake, or Sorensen Squeeze (more power), to reduce the file size.

One might also look into other versions of the CODEC's used. Some users feel that they get better results with Lead's, or MainConcept's H.264 CODEC, than they do with Apple's version. Do not know how those other two play on a Mac platform though.

Also, as there are so many settings possible, testing the variations will be the only way to tell if you are pleased.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Exported file size issue
            Jim_Simon Level 8
            is there something I am missing in the AME export settings that would help reduce file size without reducing the detail?

I won't say there isn't, just that it's entirely possible that HandBrake simply does a better job of encoding.

I know that HC Encoder will create better looking MPEG2 files at a lower bitrate than AME does with a higher bitrate.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Exported file size issue
              nin9999 Level 1

Good to know, sounds like exporting at highest quality and using Handbrake or Sorenson for final encodes is the way to go.

Thanks for the info!

Jason

• 4. Re: Exported file size issue
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Jason,

You are most welcome, and good luck! Let us know what you find to be your ultimate workflow. That will help others in the future.

Hunt