5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 27, 2009 2:37 PM by heathrowe

How to fill in Element Name box in Create Symbol Script?

lyrad789 Level 1

I'm trying to follow Adobe's directions for creating a Component Symbol so I can change the properties later.  They say, " 9. Click the plus button to add an element name. 10. In the Element Name box, type the name of the element to customize. For example, to customize the text field named "label," type "label".

Here are my problems.  Fireworks (CS4 - Mac) won't let me type anything in the Element Name box.  The only place I can type is in the "property name" and "value name" boxes.  I also have a limited list of properties to chose from in the "attribute" dropdown.

So I tried using one of the attributes and saving, without anything in the Element Name box but Fireworks said the box was blank and wouldn't let me save it.  It wouldn't let me add text there and wouldn't let me save it without text there.  Kind of frustrating.  What am I doing wrong?

• 1. Re: How to fill in Element Name box in Create Symbol Script?
          heathrowe Most Valuable Participant

Make sure that the elements (objects) you want to apply the Component Script to, has unique 'names', other than the names generated upon creation.

Essentially, rename all object names in the Layers Panel (or PI), THEN go back to the Create Component script command. Attributes/property options should appear then.

h

• 2. Re: How to fill in Element Name box in Create Symbol Script?
            lyrad789 Level 1

I used the forum search function before I posted but couldn't find an answer. But after I posted

a "MORE LIKE THIS" box appeared on the right side and there were a couple threads there that solved part of my problem.

The part still not solved is the limited selections in the "Attributes" column. Many of the existing common library text boxes have "text" in the "Symbol Properties" name column and "Text" in the value column.  I'd like to get that function in mine but can't figure it out. "textChar" from the
            "Attributes" drop down doesn't seem to do it.

• 3. Re: How to fill in Element Name box in Create Symbol Script?
              lyrad789 Level 1

Figured out the last part of the problem.  "textChars" does work... after selecting that attribute, you type "text" in the name field and "Text" in the value field and everything's fine. The first time I created the symbol and saved it to the common library, it didn't disappear from the document like it was supposed to.  It showed up in the common library, but the "textChars" function wasn't working.  Guess something happened and I should have recreated it.

I wish Adobe's directions had been clearer.  They specifically say to type in the Elements Name box and that's completely impossible.  I've spent an awful lot of time today trying to troubleshoot that.

• 4. Re: How to fill in Element Name box in Create Symbol Script?
                lyrad789 Level 1

Hi. Thanks so much for replying. I wish Adobe had corrected their instructions with that information. I spent an awful lot of time today trying to figure it out from their incorrect directions.

Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2009 12:37:58 -0700

To: jdarylh1@hotmail.com

Subject: How to fill in Element Name box in Create Symbol Script?

Make sure that the elements (objects) you want to apply the Component Script to, has unique 'names', other than the names generated upon creation.

Essentially, rename all object names in the Layers Panel (or PI), THEN go back to the Create Component script command. Attributes/property options should appear then.

h

>

• 5. Re: How to fill in Element Name box in Create Symbol Script?
                  heathrowe Most Valuable Participant

Your welcome.

Yeah I wish the attributes were a little more intuitive to work with. I always get confused between brush.diameter, brushcolor, fillcolor!

If you vreate anything unique don't hesitate to share it with the community.

h