13 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2010 2:24 PM by debt plr articles

Authorware on Windows 7 wont load

DCGJ

Hello, im using Windows 7 Home version, when i go to play an Authorware Website it shows me an "error loading", i have tried in IE 8; Firefox, Google Chrome and Netscape, all give the same error.

I have run IE8 as Administrator and added the website to trusted websites, didnt work also.

That site works in Windows XP fine!

Screenshot:

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/6608/errorloadinga.jpg

• 1. Re: Authorware on Windows 7 wont load
          Steve Howard, ACP Level 3

You probably also need to turn off Protected Mode to get it to work in 

ie 8.

Steve

• 2. Re: Authorware on Windows 7 wont load
            Johann Fouche Level 1

Hold the Control key down while opening the web page.  This will display the Authorware Web Player Security dialogue box.  Click Security Options... and make sure that you either Trust All Locations, or that your website is listed in the Trusted Locations box. 

HTH

Johann Fouché

+27 82 853 1010

http://www.jfmultimedia.co.za

• 3. Re: Authorware on Windows 7 wont load
              DCGJ Level 1

protected mode was already turned off didnt work

• 4. Re: Authorware on Windows 7 wont load
                DCGJ Level 1

Ive added the site to trusted sites and tried with trust all locations, both didnt work.

• 5. Re: Authorware on Windows 7 wont load
                  Michael V Baker Level 3

There is a way to get the Authorware Web Player to store debug info. Locate the folder where awshkwv.ini is stored. Do a search in your profile folders to find it. When you find awshkwv.ini create a new text file and name it shktrace.on. This file can be empty, the player just looks for a file with that name. If you can't find the file in your profile folders then that might be part of the problem. The player will also look in the folder where the player itself is installed which will be in operating system's system32/macromed/authorwa folder.

Once you put the file called shktrace.on in that folder you can attempt to run the file. The player will echo commands that it executes into a new text file called ptrace.txt in the same folder where shktrace.on is found. After you get the error message, close the browser and open the ptrace.txt file to look for clues about the error... (hint: search for the word "error")

Mike

• 6. Re: Authorware on Windows 7 wont load
                    DCGJ Level 1

ptrace.txt has 4 errors:

1:32:41.51 - PluginMgr::WriteSavedProbsToServer: ERROR -- could not open .prb file C:\Users\DCGJ\AppData\Roaming\Macromedia\Authorware Web Player\np32asw\webplr08\session.prb

1:33:02.87 - PluginMgr::LaunchApp ERROR: PLAYER NOT FOUND

1:33:02.89 - fPluginState==PLG_STATE_ERROR

1:33:05.89 - Purging ErrorList

• 7. Re: Authorware on Windows 7 wont load
                      Michael V Baker Level 3

The message about the PRB file is n/a since it has to do with the predictive streaming. But the PLAYER NOT FOUND suggests that the player itself was not downloaded. Please search your profile folders for a file called webplr.exe and see if it's there. Do you by chance have the 'hide extensions for known types' turned on?

Mike

• 8. Re: Authorware on Windows 7 wont load
                        DCGJ Level 1

webplr.exe could not be found on my harddrive

'hide extensions for known types' is turned off

• 9. Re: Authorware on Windows 7 wont load
                          Michael V Baker Level 3

Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier. If you don't mind can you post the trace file so I can take a look at the settings it found during the startup? Note that the file may contain information such as the full URL of the source location or IP addresses if that's how you access it for testing. If you don't want to post that info on this forum then you can send it directly to mike-baker at cox dot net. If you'd rather not send it at all then I can give you guidelines on what to look for, it's just quicker if I look myself.

Mike

• 10. Re: Authorware on Windows 7 wont load
                            DCGJ Level 1

id rather not send it, could you give me the guidelines ?

• 11. Re: Authorware on Windows 7 wont load
                              Michael V Baker Level 3

Here's what I do when looking through trace files:

Every instance of SHOCKTRACE BEGIN is a new session the user launched. The ptrace file keeps building as long as the shktrace.on is present.

There are 7 lines of PluginMgr::Init, the version of Web player should be 2004.0.0.0 The rest of those 7 is more informational.

A few lines down from there is the location of the aam file... verify that's correct.

In places where the end of the line lists sts it should be 0. Anything other than 0 is an error of some kind.

Read through the lines where the map file is parsed... check the version number in the map, check that all the lines got through, check that the correct PLR line is present. If a PLR line is not present then it defaults to the full player downloaded from download.macromedia.com

Check the line for BypassSecurityDialog... if it's set to true then you won't see the dialog and you won't have the opportunity to set the file as trusting and it won't download files.

Look for SecurityMgr::SetSecurityMode to see that it's TRUSTING

After the processing of the map is a similar routine with the manifest. Then the processing of each of the file downloads. Each of those is the same starting with opening the url, followed by one or more writes to the disk and ending with a destroy stream. Downloading does two at a time. Since you see an error in launching the webplr.exe I'd search for all the lines with that text and make sure the file is being downloaded. If it is being donwloaded and it won't launch then double check the setting of the trusted site in IE. If it's set correctly then it should automatically turn off protected mode in the browser. If it's not being downloaded then perhaps you don't have write permission to the destination folder (I doubt that's the case unless your on a corporate machine with tight user priveleges).

Hope this gets you going in the right direction. Please report back on how things go.

Mike

1 person found this helpful
                              • 12. debt plr articles
                                debt plr articles

Hi,,

This file can be empty, the player just looks for a file with that name. If you can't find the file in your profile folders then that might be part of the problem.

http://www.plrprivatelabelrights.com/plr-articles/debt

• 13. debt plr articles
                                  debt plr articles Level 1

Hi,,

This file can be empty, the player just looks for a file with that name. If you can't find the file in your profile folders then that might be part of the problem.

url="http://www.plrprivatelabelrights.com/plr-articles/debt" rel="dofollow"]debt plr articles[/url]