2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 29, 2009 2:55 PM by rowby

Youtube H.264 HD under 10 Minutes  but under 2 gigs???

rowby Level 1

Hi

As you know YouYube allows up to 10 minutes, HD quality, but has a 2 gig max.  I am trying to encode in H.264 because that is, apparently, that is the "best" format, I'm told , for YouTube.

Yes, there is a YouYube HD preset  (YouTube Widescreen HD) but It's giving me files over 2 gigs.  Almost 3 gigs for an 8 minute video.

Can you, or anyone give me, a custom HD (HDV) preset that will help me get the video under 2 gigs -- with 1280 x 720?

Using CS4 Premiere 4.1.0 --  with the Adobe Media Encoder.  Media Encoder CS4 4.1.0.107

Thanks

...Rowby

• 1. Re: Youtube H.264 HD under 10 Minutes  but under 2 gigs???
          shooternz Level 6

Lower the Data Rate and you will easily achieve enough quality at the rez you are using.

(I recently uploaded some clips of 3 minute duration - file size 90-110 mb average.)

• 2. Re: Youtube H.264 HD under 10 Minutes  but under 2 gigs???
            rowby Level 1

Hi Shooternz,

Thanks for your response.

I'm looking at the YouTube preset.  (See attached screen capture)

1)  I assume it's best to do a VBR, 2 pass (rather than 1 pass?)

2)  I see two sliders, Target Bitrate and Maximum bitrate.   Can you (or anyone here) tell me the "best" settings for these two sliders.

As a reminder, I'm encoding a 10 minute video for  YouTube high def NTSC 1280x720.  It's a 10 minute video -- YouTube requires that the files be under 2 gigs.

...Rowby

P.S.  I'm seeing some interesting info at this link:

http://webvideotechniques.com/123/bigger-and-better-encoding-for-youtube-hd/comment-page-1 #comment-4959

Specifically:

Now open your favorite encoding software, import your source file and enter the following settings.

Video

• 1280×720
            • 29.97 FPS Progressive (Note: use whatever frame rate your source file is set to.  As long as it is progressive it should be ok.)
            • H.264 codec in MP4 wrapper (I recommend the Main Concept encoder if you have access to it, otherwise x264 will be fine)
            • Set your data rate from 4000kbps to 8000kbps (Higher data rates in the source video will give the YouTube encoder more data to work with)
            • Enable 2 pass VBR encoding if it is available

Audio

• AAC  (Use MP3 if AAC is not available)
            • 44.1kHz Stereo
            • 256kbps data rate