18 Replies Latest reply on Dec 29, 2009 11:16 AM by VDOSurfer

Premiere Elements 8 aborts

fls1945

Premiere Elements 8 aborts with no error message warning of any kind. It has been working sort've OK ie. it aborted occasionaly during the file transfer process, but that was tolerable. Then it got worse ie., more frequent. I reinstalled the application, and it is now MUCH worse. I only get as far as the project screen, and after about 30 seconds, everything is gone

Any thoughts?

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 8 aborts
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Usually, when a program crashes, hangs or aborts, there is a breadcrumb trail as to what is happening. Finding the "clues" can take some time, but often the cure will be right there. This ARTICLE will tell you how to gather those clues.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 8 aborts
            the_wine_snob Level 9

This ARTICLE will give you tips on setting up your computer for an NLE session.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 8 aborts
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Though written for PrPro, this ARTICLE offers a lot of general troubleshooting tips, and also lists some of the additional info that might help get your problem sorted out.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 8 aborts
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Here's a short list of the types of info that will be helpful:

1. Clearly describe the main problem in the topic, but be brief. Not so brief as to only say: "Help!" or "URGENT" or another meaningless statement but get to the point, like: "PP crashes on opening, requiring a reboot" or "Using DL the system hangs upon return to PP". You get the point.

2. Briefly describe your hardware, software, OS and versions in use, including disk setup, video card and driver versions, etc.

3. Describe source material, including codec (not AVI, which is not a codec), project settings and other relevant info.

4. Describe as accurately as possible what you did, what steps you took, what happened at what moment and what you did to try to resolve it.

5. Go to Start/Run, type in DXDIAG, enter and save all information to a TXT file. Include a link to that file in your post.

6. Go to Start/Run, type in MSINFO32 (or similar for 64 bit OS), enter and save the results as a .NFO file. Include a link to that file in your post.

7. Download Process Explorer , and either post a screen shot or a link to the results.

8. Make a screen shot of the results of SpeedFan or HW Monitor and include that in your post.

The above list was prepared by Harm Millaard for the PrPro forum, but the elements are important in PrE too.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 8 aborts
                  GEAtkins

or better yet, have a look around the forum and stay a while.

Glenn

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 8 aborts
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Whatever. Obviously, this poster is trying to get things sorted out.

Hunt

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 8 aborts
                      GEAtkins Level 1

Hunt,

I appreciate all your help and expertise and I truly wish the OP all the luck in the world, because he is going to need it.

I find it remarkable that none of the three other NLE's I trialed, and one of which I purchased, has these myriad issues.

The normal user who cannot even get the program to load (assuming they are within spec) should not be expected to trouble shoot Adobe's code and no amount of SpeedFan or HWM is going to make the code better.  Adobe has probably the best engineers in the galaxy, let them figure it out.

Believe me, if I had any actual help to add I would provide it and I would hope it would fix my issues with PRE8 as well, but alas nothing to date and I'm still waiting for a patch.

Again, don't get me wrong...I sincerely appreciate your help and expertise but you post the same thing over and over again and yet very few actual solutions are forthcoming from you or anyone else.   But remember, it's not your fault, it's Adobe's and none of this is directed at your desire to help.  But, in the spirit of the holidays let's call this spade a spade, shall we?

I am in the camp of wanting this fixed because I want to use PRE8, but good God man this things got major problems, why not just say so?  I have submitted multiple crash reports to Adobe and have gotten nothing in return, so this is my venue even though they don't monitor the forums, but they would be extremely shorted-sighted not to.  I've spent more time trying to get PRE8 to work, not as advertised, but at all, than I have actually finishing my project with a competitors product, and yet I am expected to run multiple trouble-shooting exercises just to get PRE8 to work.  Life's too short and you can't be serious.  But carry on.  Sticking our collective heads in the sand is not the solution, but putting pressure on Adobe to fix an obviously defective product might be.

Again, I want it fixed because I would prefer to use it and I'll be among the first to stand up and give Adobe praise if they do.  But how about we not keep pretending that the Emperor has clothes?  Does anyone have any ideas other than this rain-dance of blaming everyone and everything except Adobe?  It's their problem, not ours.

Glenn

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 8 aborts
                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                        I am in the camp of wanting this fixed because I want to use PRE8, but good

Why? You have moved on to another program. May I respectfully suggest that you move on from this thread too, as the OP is working on a problem. You have made your feelings heard, and there is a complete sub-forum on Posts that do not need a reply. I feel that everything offered is counter productive to the OP, and is not getting him, or her, any closer. Think about that for a moment.

These fora are provided by Adobe for the express purpose of users helping users. They are not provided as a soapbox to rail against the corporation, regardless of how much you feel slighted.

If one cannot help, then there is little purpose in their participation.

Good luck with your decision, and I hope that whatever program you went with, helps you edit.

Hunt

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 8 aborts
                          GEAtkins Level 1

I don't feel slighted in the least.  I paid my money and I took my chances and now I want a program that works, and from Adobe.

Hunt, do you really believe that PRE8 does not have major issues that Adobe needs to address immediately?

I want two things:

1) For some of the regulars around here to stand up and admit that this program has serious issues and that, notwithstanding these issues, we are all here trying to help each other find a solution.  Believe me, if I had any solutions I would post them and I believe you would to.

2) I want Adobe to stand up and admit there is a problem and to say that they are working on a solution and will provide it to the community when they get if figured out.

Are either of these really too much to ask?

You could have prefaced your entire series of comments with something like "yeah, we're all aware that PRE8 has some major issues and we all hope that Adobe is working on them and will provide a solution as soon as they can, but until then here are some things they you can try on your own to see if they might help."

The way your comments are structured give no clue to the casual observer that the problem is anything but theirs.  That's why I suggested the OP have a look around the forum and stay a while.

I am slamming Adobe because their program does not work, and not just on my system as it seems to be pretty wide spread (with acknowledgement to the fact that most folks don't come to these forums without problems to discuss).

Again, this is not directed at your attempt to help me and others.  I am grateful for that.  But it does no one any good for your or others to keep sticking your head in the sand about the problems.

How is it that because I have made my feelings known, you casually dismiss me to not comment anymore, and yet you continue to provide the same ineffective solutions repeatedly?  Again, it's great advice, but not for the casual user who wants to slice some video of his family, but yet, in the end it does nothing to actually solve the issue at hand does it?

I recognize it's almost impossible to convey tone and voice inflection in the fora and I repeat this is not directed at you and I am certainly not trying to pick a fight with you or anybody else, but the first step toward fixing the problem is recognizing that we actually have one in PRE8.

Although it seems to be a blood-sport in the current day and age to silence the voice of dissent, I'm not going anywhere.  That would not be an effective problem solving/solution providing course of action either, would it?  If I have something constructive to add, I'll add it.  But I'll also throw the BS flag when it's needed too.

You can shoot the messenger all you want, but it won't fix the problems with PRE8.  Only Adobe can do that, if they will.  I think I am being fair in my criticism of the program and I am genuinely interested is a solution from Adobe.  Please, anyone, chime in if I have been unfair in my criticism and explain how.  The program itself has problems and it's not my job to fix them.  It's not stable on the machines of the targeted audiencce.  The fastest, purest computer system in the world (even one solely dedicated to NLE) is not going to magically make these problems go away for the average user of the program.  Shoot the message, not the messenger.  Don't degrade into an attack of me personally and ask me to leave or post in a subforum that does not need a reply, but I encourage you to show me where my reasoning is flawed.  For the record, I'm not on a soapbox railing against the mighty corporation.  I want a program that works.  I don't want to spend my nights and weekends trouble-shooting the one program out of many that does not work correctly.  Is the forum provided for you to extoll the virtues of the program without acknowledging any of the problems and at the same time sending novice users and others on wild goose chases/snipe hunts in search of that holy-grail of a solution that is so far elusive?

Again, I'm not seeking a fight with you, but let's all just acknowledge the white elephant in the room.  Then we can all work together from a position of common ground on a solution to Adobe's problem.  They have not shown any interest to date in doing so, but I'm optimistic they will.

You ask why do I want it fixed.  Because it should be. Oh, and pointing out the truth to the OP will never be counterproductive.  I am a user of a multitude of Adobe's products and I am helping other users by letting them know there is a problem with the program and that in many (not all) instances it has nothing to do with the other users, their computer systems, their source material, their graphic card, their memory or whatever.  Those who bought the software with an out of spec system  should expect problems, the rest of us should not, especially to this degree.  The other users are not generally the problem, they are not the crazy ones, the program is.

Sincerely,

Glenn

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements 8 aborts
                            Missteach Level 1

I've said it before: Of course Adobe watch these forums.  Put it to the test.  Post something controversial - it will be removed!!!   Adobe don't rerad these forums like my wife doesn't read my emails !!!

Anyway, one further point.  PE8 is aimed at amateurs and non-professionals.  Pros, by definition will use Premiere Pro!  So, that being said, I imagine the demographic of PE8 purchasers are enthusiasts or beginners who just want to buy an attractive box from the shelf at 'PC World' and have it do what it says it will.  They will not have the inclination or the time to work through the 'solutions' to get it to work.

Finally, here's a an interesting thing I overheard in PC World last weekend: I'm paraphrasing!

BUYER (aged around 60): My son suggested something called PE8 to make home movies.  Have you got it?

SALESMAN: (Aged around 18):  No.  We do PE7.  I hope we don't get PE8 because it's full of bugs that customers will blame me for and want me to fix.

As I said, I'm paraphrasing but it's pretty much word for word what was said.

So, I want it to work as much as anyone.  But, it's clealry not for a lot of users.  Yet, on my system, PE4 runs fine, as does PPCS3 / CS4.

• 11. Re: Premiere Elements 8 aborts
                              nealeh Level 5

GEAtkins wrote):

Again, don't get me wrong...I sincerely appreciate your help and expertise but you post the same thing over and over again and yet very few actual solutions are forthcoming from you or anyone else.   But remember, it's not your fault, it's Adobe's and none of this is directed at your desire to help.  But, in the spirit of the holidays let's call this spade a spade, shall we?

<snip>

But carry on.  Sticking our collective heads in the sand is not the solution, but putting pressure on Adobe to fix an obviously defective product might be.

Again, I want it fixed because I would prefer to use it and I'll be among the first to stand up and give Adobe praise if they do.  But how about we not keep pretending that the Emperor has clothes?  Does anyone have any ideas other than this rain-dance of blaming everyone and everything except Adobe?  It's their problem, not ours.

Glenn,

I do appreciate your frustration. Indeed I first joined this forum because of unexplained crashing. Although I eventually self-diagnosed (I think I was the first poster with the nvidia driver issue) the interplay of user to user helped focus my thoughts.

So, Glen, I would like to take you gently to task on a few of your points (and I recognise I've been selective in quoting you).

Location of your post: You have posted your comments (none of which have contributed to assisting the OP's problem) in someone else's discussion. You would be better informed if you opened a new discussion being specific about your own problems. They may not be the same as those of the OP.

Timing of your post: Hunt made some recommendations but the original poster has NOT yet responded to those recommendations. Until he does this discussion has nowhere to go.

Content of your post:

you post the same thing over and over again

Of course he does.  Those posts are designed to obtain feedback from the OP to isolate where a problem may lie. Take a close look at the OP's comment. Basically he is saying 'PRE8 doesn't work for me. I did this and made it worse. Why has this happened?' How can anyone be expected to diagnose a problem from that? More information IS required.

yet I am expected to run multiple trouble-shooting exercises just to get PRE8 to work.

The suggestions pointed at are not 'trouble-shooting exercises'. They are designed to solicit further detail to help the volunteer posters on this forum make better help suggestions.

yet very few actual solutions are forthcoming from you or anyone else.

I differ with your opinion here. Perhaps I read more of the discussions than you.

Does anyone have any ideas other than this rain-dance of blaming everyone and everything except Adobe?

Can you please point to, say five, examples of this rain-dance?.

Cheers,
                              --
                              Neale
                              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 12. Re: Premiere Elements 8 aborts
                                the_wine_snob Level 9
                                Post something controversial - it will be removed!!!   Adobe don't rerad these forums like my wife doesn't read my emails !!!

Unfortunately, you are unaware of the hierarchy of these fora. There are several levels of participants, and possible participants.

1.) guest - a user who can read, and Report Abuse via a button on the bottom of the article screen

2.) subscriber - can post, read, edit their own replies, if no other has replied to it, within a certain time, and Report Abuse

3.) MOD's - the volunteers, who make the forum go. They have all of the above capabilities, plus through their MOD console, can edit any post, delete any post, create headers on the main forum page, and are the "heavy-lifters," who do the work of monitoring the fora. They are the ones, who delete a post, and can also ban a poster for continued abuse. If you have a post removed, it was by a MOD - not Adobe. Adobe has bestowed the power to run the fora on these volunteers.

4.) Adobe - while some employees do post and read, this is nearly always on their own time, and their activity might well be out of the area, where they work, say a developer for Dreamweaver, who's into video posting and reading here. There are few employees, who are assigned monitor a particular forum. Now, some employees, who are on a development team, who do spend time on that product's forum. A good example of this is Chris Cox on the Photoshop forum. Chris is a lead developer, and has been for a very long time. He spends a good deal of time on that forum, answering questions. I do not know if he does this as an assignment, or out of love for the product - never asked him. On PrPro forum, we have an employee, Dennis, who loves video editing, and though he's in corporate sales, works closely with the PrPro development team. He's a bit of a hybrid, as part of his assignment is to interface with the forum. He does this, and when time permits, much, much more. In the past, we've had maybe two other employees, but they were doing it out of love for the product, and not part of an assignment. Two others show up from time to time, usually with announcements on updates. They hang around, until most of the word gets out, and everyone is up to speed with those - then they disappear, until the next update.

Hope that that helps you understand the role that Adobe plays in these fora.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: Premiere Elements 8 aborts
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Let me address a couple of points:

1) For some of the regulars around here to stand up and admit that this program has serious issues and that, notwithstanding these issues, we are all here trying to help each other find a solution.  Believe me, if I had any solutions I would post them and I believe you would to

I do not have PrE 8, so I do not know that it is flawed. I know several things though: many users have had no issues, and many users have had issues. Of that latter group, many have been helped by the contributors to these fora. Those fixed issues have been settings and preferences, system issues and also Asset issues. Unfortunately, all users with problems have not been helped. Why? Maybe there are some Bugs in PrE 8 (my jury is still out), and maybe these users did not follow through on the suggestions. Most of them never came back with the requested full system, Project and Asset info requested. This I will never understand, as we're not talking state secrets here. I feel that this is most often a case of said user deciding early on that there is something that Adobe should do, and they do not want to be bothered looking into their system, or even contemplating that it could be something with their Project or their Assets, whatever those were.

2) I want Adobe to stand up and admit there is a problem and to say that they are working on a solution and will provide it to the community when they get if figured out

One does this by contacting Adobe. Maybe retain an attorney to help craft the letter. This is not done by polluting the forum with rants. That will get you zero - nada. As I stated earlier, these fora are provided for users to help users. They are not provided as a soapbox, for someone, who feels wronged. Adobe has a department for that, Customer Support. That is where your concerns need to be sent - not here. We are powerless to help you. The users with issues that they are trying to solve are powerless to help you.

You could have prefaced your entire series of comments with something like "yeah, we're all aware that PRE8 has some major issues and we all hope that Adobe is working on them and will provide a solution as soon as they can, but until then here are some things they you can try on your own to see if they might help."

Please reread my response to your point #1. I do not know these things to be fact. Until I do, I will refrain from conjecture. My goal is to help the user get to the art, the craft and the fun of editing.

The way your comments are structured give no clue to the casual observer that the problem is anything but theirs.  That's why I suggested the OP have a look around the forum and stay a while.

In the vast majority of the cases in these fora, the onus IS on the user. I've posted the chart of how problems can most often be tracked:

1.) System

2.) Assets

3.) Project

4.) OE

5.) Program Bugs

That is how it always sorts out. If you notice, the first 4, and by far the great, great majority of the issues ARE on the user. Most, just do not realize that each of those items can greatly impact the performance and also impact on their ease of use. Our task is to help the user work through each of those, until we can solve the issue. Now, with a well-crafted post, it's often easy to rule some of these items out. If the user is trying to use the wrong keys to drag an Asset around, it's unlikely that we'll ever bring up System. Assets and Project might need to be looked at, but we can usually focus on #4.

If you wonder why there are so many system-related replies, take a look at its position in that list. It is at the top, because it is the most often discovered issue. Why do we so often ask where the source footage came from? Why do we so often ask for the full specs. of that "AVI?" Look at the position of Assets in the list. Could it be because that is #2 most often related issue? Again, we so very often ask about Project Presets. Why? Well, it's #3 on the list, and these must match the source footage, #2. If not, issues will likely crop up. It is the exact same with #4. The question, "what were you doing, exactly, when this happened?" is all about the wrong key being pressed, the wrong type of Asset being inserted where it will not go, etc. As for #5, heretofore, they have been in basement - hardly any at all. Will PrE 8 prove to be Bug-ridden? I'll reserve judgement. It may well go down as such, but I'm not ready to rule on that. Still, as there have been some major changes in the way the program works, there have been many workarounds, or settings published, and I refer users to any of these, that I think might help. Are all of these true Bugs? I'm not in Adobe's Bug Report lab. I cannot say. Still, if there might be a bit of help in any of those articles by Steve, Neale, ATR or Ozpeter, regardless of whether we're dealing with a Bug, or an anomaly. It is also not my position to editorialize, especially on a program that I have not used.

How is it that because I have made my feelings known, you casually dismiss me to not comment anymore, and yet you continue to provide the same ineffective solutions repeatedly?  Again, it's great advice, but not for the casual user who wants to slice some video of his family, but yet, in the end it does nothing to actually solve the issue at hand does it?

This one is easy. If you are helping the poster find resolution, you are most welcome to comment. If you are only attempting to further some crusade of yours, and are not contributing, then you should get out of the way.

You can shoot the messenger all you want, but it won't fix the problems with PRE8.  Only Adobe can do that, if they will.

That is the point that I have been making all along, and it seems to have fallen on deaf ears. This is NOT Adobe. This is users - only. Why can you not understand that. Let me put it another way: the OP in this thread does not care about your problems. They cannot help this user solve their own problem. That problem is job one in this thread. Your experiences, unless they can help this poster, are not germane to the discussion.

Hi-jacking thread to rant is not only in very bad taste, it's highly frowned upon. For the OP, and for the volunteer users attempting to help the OP, it is counterproductive. If you wish to get a bullhorn and a box, and scream to all passers-by at Michigan Ave and Wacker Dr., that's fine. Just don't expect any acceptance by most forum members, when you do that here. Like I said, it's in very bad taste.

Again, I'm not seeking a fight with you, but let's all just acknowledge the white elephant in the room.

I'm sorry, but I do not see him. I see a poster with a problem. I see another poster, who only wants to get their point out. This is not the place for that.

Now, I'll sit back and wait for a report from the OP, and we'll hopefully get down to solving their problem. I've wasted enough time on yours.

Hunt

• 14. Re: Premiere Elements 8 aborts
                                    GEAtkins Level 1

Hunt,

I agree with most everything you have said, especially the part about not hijacking the thread.  That was not orginially my intent, having suggested that the OP have a look around the fora and stay a while in hopes of finding the resources to solve his problem, however I see now that it has devolved into a hijack and for that I apologize.

So in the spirit of the constructive criticism you have offered, to which I have agreed, and in attempt to help the OP here are some links to some great threads that might help us help you.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/446365?tstart=30

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/483270?tstart=0

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/503092?tstart=0

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/531259?tstart=0

@fls1945

These articles are written by or commented on by Hunt, who is a recognized expert within these fora (I love that word) in fixing problems with Adobe software.

I would suggest you follow every one of his suggestions and report back to us with your results.  Only then will we be able to help you with PRE8 crashing without warning and with only being able to get to the project screen before the program fails.

This thread is now officially back on topic.

Best of luck.

Glenn

• 15. Re: Premiere Elements 8 aborts
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Glenn,

Thank you for your contributions. They are greatly appreciated.

Hunt

• 16. Re: Premiere Elements 8 aborts
                                        nealeh Level 5

GEAtkins wrote:

Hunt,

I agree with most everything you have said, especially the part about not hijacking the thread.  That was not orginially my intent, having suggested that the OP have a look around the fora and stay a while in hopes of finding the resources to solve his problem, however I see now that it has devolved into a hijack and for that I apologize.

Thank you Glen. Do open a new discussion so that we may, collectively, be able to help with the problem(s) you are having.

Cheers,
                                        --
                                        Neale
                                        Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 17. Re: Premiere Elements 8 aborts
                                          fls1945 Level 1

Hi,

Thanks for all of your feedback. Sorry that I asked a question, and then left for the weekend. I can imagine that it caused some frustration. Anyway, a bit of background:

I am using:

 Windows XP Home Edition
                                           Processor – 2.4.ghz Core 2 Quad Q6600
                                           64 kb primary memory cache
                                           4096 kb secondary memory cache
                                           4MB installed memory
                                           Approx. 1tb storage space
                                           I am attempting to edit video files taken from a DV camera

I have been running PRE7 successfully for roughly a year. I upgraded “just because I could”.

When I first installed PRE8, it seemed to work OK; it aborted without warning or message a few times during the initial tape captures, but that was reasonably tolerable. Then it accelerated the failure rate. As of now, I can load the program, specify a new project, or request to open an existing one. In either cscenario, it appears to go happily off to set up its various files etc, but before I see anything more on the screen, and before I even touch the mouse, approx. 30 – 40 seconds later, it is simply gone, with zero messages. Because there are never any “Save” messages, I am guessing that this is a true abort; not a premature shut-down ie., the program’s file management module is unaware of the shutdown.

Please note that throughout all this, the computer continues to operate normally. If I have other apps on the go, or am on the net, they all continue as per normal. If I have nothing else running, then I am left viewing the Windows desktop, and the computer remains ready to go. Thus I conclude that this is exclusive to PRE8

I have re-installed PRE8 and have the results have been identical. I reinstalled PRE7, and it works fine, so for the moment, I will continue to use it. Since I now have both releases on my computer, I re-tried PRE8 once more, just to confirm, and it continues to shut itself down as before. I guess I should give Adobe full marks for consistency anyway.
                                          • 18. Re: Premiere Elements 8 aborts
                                            VDOSurfer Level 3

Out of the whole thread, I just read the last post and here is my attempt at a fix.

Since the proogram was running and then it stopped working, what I feel is that something got corrupt and from one of the earlier launches, I can point it at the "Plugin Cache" folder in the registry which has a list of all the loaded effects. It is just big and gets reloaded. So you lose nothing. Just some time more for the program to launch.

Could you try deleting the folder and letting us know of it worked? The steps are as under:

1. Close Premiere Elements 8.0 if launched.
                                            2. Press Start->Run and type "regedit" (without the quotes)
                                            3. Expand My Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Premiere Elements\8.0\ There should be a folder called PluginCache. Delete the complete folder

4. Relaunch app and let us know how it goes...