19 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2009 11:23 AM by the_wine_snob

No audio when Capture video from a DVD on MAC

Rejean2100

Hi,

My set-up : A MAC Intel (8xprocessors), 6gigs RAM, 250 GIGS free,  ect....

A ADVC110 As interface for video

A ProfireLightbridge as sound card

I have Adobe Premier CS4 v.2.o

When I capture a video from a DVD, I capture the Video with a empty audio track....!!! It does not capture the sound track??? video only ?

I do import a sequence (video), I got my video and the audio is there and working...

I have FinalCut Pro, I do the same : Everything working ! I capute video and audio with the same installation.....

So, I am shure all my stuff working proprely ans the are setting proprely.

If I record myself in the mixer ( in Adobe premier), that's working...

I go in the preference in Adobe to set all my audio setting, no positive result....

Anyone as the same problem, or any tips

Rej

• 1. Re: No audio when Capture video from a DVD on MAC
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Maybe your DVD does not adhere to the strict standards that Adobe requires.

• 2. Re: No audio when Capture video from a DVD on MAC
            the_wine_snob Level 9
            When I capture a video from a DVD, I capture the Video with a empty audio track....!!! It does not capture the sound track??? video only ?

This is actually "Importing" (from a DVD-Video, it's also called "ripping"), and not "Capture" in the pure sense.

With CS4.2, this should not be an issue, unless there is an issue with the DVD-Video NOT being 100% DVD-compliant. Where did the DVD come from? How was it authored? Do you know if the Audio is PCM/WAV, or AC3. CS4.2 should be able to handle either, but see the first sentence above.

Good luck, and will wait to see the answers regarding the DVD-Video.

Hunt

• 3. Re: No audio when Capture video from a DVD on MAC
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Bill,

I almost made that same remark, but he is using the ADVC-110 to capture, so he is correct. Unless the Canopus converter is doing something wrong, which is highly unlikely, his capture stream is simple DV AVI with PCM stereo sound.

• 4. Re: No audio when Capture video from a DVD on MAC
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Harm,

I meant to ask what the AVCHD had to do with it, as it then appears that it's a DVD-Video, that is the issue.

Now, does this camera record AVCHD to DVD, and if so, then would this still not be Importing? Maybe I'm just confused.

[Edit] Duh!!!! Not AVCHD, but a Canopus/Greenvalley 110! Sorry, but my new Google Chrome has a different display than my old IE - plus I do not have my "computer glasses" on. Sorry about that.

Hunt

Message was edited by: the_wine_snob - Added [Edit] due to my blindness.

• 5. Re: No audio when Capture video from a DVD on MAC
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, now that part of my stupidity is cleared up, what are your Input and Output settings for Audio Hardware in PrPro? Might be something there.

Sorry for the false start, and good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: No audio when Capture video from a DVD on MAC
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

With all these abbrevations around it sometimes is difficult to keep track, but the ADVC-110 from Canopus is an Analog to Digital Video Converter, hence the ADVC. Effectively you connect your DVD player over analog to the ADVC and capture over firewire the signal which is converted to DV AVI type2, or MOV in the MAC environment. It is a pretty nifty small device and very handy for these circumstances.

To the OP: Try with on-board sound. Does it still happen?

• 7. Re: No audio when Capture video from a DVD on MAC
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Harm,

Yes, if I could only see my screen. I'm very familiar with the device, but just did not read, nor comprehend, correctly. I use similar and will be adding the Canopus 300 soon, to replace my Turtle Beach A-D card.

Now, a side-note that might, or might not apply. When using the Turtle Beach software, I always have to manually reset my Audio for each ripping/capture session. Why? I do not know. My Video specs. hold session to session, but the Audio (even though they are set correctly, they do not "take," until I reset to the same). I wonder is similar might be happening in PrPro - yes, different software, but the same functions. Just a thought.

Hunt

PS - don't you have a smiley with great big glasses? I need to get me one of those - at least till I can figure out how to setup the display in Chrome...

• 8. Re: No audio when Capture video from a DVD on MAC
                        Rejean2100 Level 1

To all my friends trying to help me,

I appreciated and I may see your comments, buts listen angain.....

I have a Canopus ADVC 110 wicht is worhink proprely with Final Cut Pro 6.(Video and Audio)

I do unfortunatly I tried the build in audio of the MAC but no result....

Istead to have an opinion on my ADVC 110 could you tried to anwer my question.

You feel a someone that they never seem a CANOPUS,

By the way, My DVD player is a PANSONIC S97 with HDMI ouptputs....and digital outputs,

My DVD using during my test is my own DVD(did my self), so I know where is comming from....

with the same DVD, DVD player, CANOPUS and FINAL CUT PRO I do the same and everythings is there video and audio

If you do not have the anwser, PLEASE tell me how to unsinstall, It will be less complicated...

Notification : I have v. 4.0 not the v.2.....

Rej

• 9. Re: No audio when Capture video from a DVD on MAC
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Rej,

Something to think about - PrPro CS4.1 & 4.2 (but not earlier) will Import the .VOB's, allowing you to edit. The process would be to first upgrade PrPro to CS4.2 (current), and then copy the .VOB's from your DVD-Video to your HDD. From there, Import those into PrPro. So long as your DVD is 100% DVD-compliant, that will work without having to use the Canopus.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - still sorry for my false start on your thread.

• 10. Re: No audio when Capture video from a DVD on MAC
                            Rejean2100 Level 1

I will repeat,

If I import any video from a hard disc, (.mov) I have my video and audio in my timeline and I may listen to it.

When I capture (press F5) to get video from my DVD player (as exemple), I did record,

In the inpector ( left window) I have my Video

I drag my video in the first tv screen (the left one), result : video no sound,

and I check the soundtrack : the soundtrack is empty

IT's like you do recorded with no audio for peoples know audio recording....

My Set-up : for sure  I set My profirelightbridge as an audio interface and I see All my 24 tracks......

So, any anwswer for me,

Rej

• 11. Re: No audio when Capture video from a DVD on MAC
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

In PrPro, what are both your Input & Output settings, including the ASIO Settings, and also in Preferences>Capture, what are you settings?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: No audio when Capture video from a DVD on MAC
                                Rejean2100 Level 1

Hi,

Thanks for your help....

I am not to my first experience,

First, I am a MAC user with Final Cut Pro v.6.,

I try these software to see how it is work, but I cannot response or giving

my opinion until it will work.

My audio serring : I am using my Profirelightbridge(from M_audio), could go

up to 24 audio tracks.....with a digital mix console MAckie D8B....

I using an interface as CAnopus ADVC 110 wich is taking analog video as dvd

player to digital true the Firewire output.

In ADOBE Premire, in the preference, I use My audio (profirelightbridge) and

I see in the outputs my 24 tracks.

( I tried also the buildin audio card of the MAC, no succes)

In Project menu I do in audio tab : what specific audio I want (means

32/44/48 khz...)

Same for the video I do in the video tab 4/3 or 16/9.........

I hoping your understand, I do not have to specifie point by point I presume

your a professional as me.....

I reply my question, If I do F5 command I do record my video with an empty

soundtrack ( a blanck audio track)

From the mixer in AdobePremire, if I using a source from the mic (icon)

choosing a track, I have my audio in the VU meters

From others applicaations, as FinalCut Pro 6, I do have video and

sound......

I do not undestand at all.

Réjean

• 13. Re: No audio when Capture video from a DVD on MAC
                                  Rejean2100 Level 1

There is my installation :

you will undestand I am not in my first day to produce movie....

but Adobe does'nt show a good software or is not for MAC user.....

if you are a MAC user, it will be nice to help me, I trie many many ways,

but it still do not take tha audio signal .

Réjean

• 14. Re: No audio when Capture video from a DVD on MAC
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

I try these software to see how it is work, but I cannot response or giving my opinion until it will work.

I am sorry that I was not clear. What I am asking for are your settings in Preferences for PrPro. These will determine how the program works, and also how it Captures. There are several pages of possible settings.

Now, if you have the trial, remember that it does NOT work with anything MPEG, Audio, or Video. That is a limitation, and is rectified, should you purchase and install the full-paid version of the program.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 15. Re: No audio when Capture video from a DVD on MAC
                                      Rejean2100 Level 1

Well, Well,

I am not so sure who you are all of you....

I am not in my first experience in video recording.....

To remember all of you, when I did the install in the first time, a window appears to download all the codecs have to need to create my projets....it takes at less 5-6 minutes to dowload. So you should know that all of you.....!

UNtil now I do not have respond.....

Even a trial version or not, that is not a reason to have or not respond, if you want a try, gibe them the possibility to try, I desire to évaluate, so in this case, is no good at all for me, thez don't give me the oportunity to evaluate....

And for someone tells me I am missiing codecs, If you so sure what's your saying, tell me wich codecs do I need, because on a MAC, APPLE products, all the codecs are in, and you could confirm that on ADOBE support when I called...

Rej,

• 16. Re: No audio when Capture video from a DVD on MAC
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

If you are using the trial, and I am still not certain that you are, what you need are the entire set of MainConcept MPEG CODEC's. Unfortunately, the trial version will not allow this. The full-paid version will, and they will both be included, and installed, when you install the full-paid version.

The two limitations of the trial are a 30-day time clock, that will shut down the trail after 30-days, and the total lack of anything MPEG. It is stated clearly on the trial download page.

Now, you can do about anything, besides MPEG, in the trial. There is no watermark, or similar. There really are no other limitations - just MPEG.

You can work with, say MOV [Animation CODEC], AVI, and many other formats - just nothing MPEG.

This is for licensing reasons. Adobe pays for the MainConcept MPEG CODEC's. MainConcept will charge Adobe for EVERY instance of those CODEC's, so Adobe chose to not pay for them, for the trial. They do, for the full-paid version.

Hope that this helps you.

Hint: if you do go with the full-paid version (remember, it offers a 30-day, money-back guarantee, should you not like it), you will want to uninstall the trial version, then run Adobe Clean Script CS4 (for your OS) a couple of times, and only after you've done so, then install the full-paid version. If you do not do this, there will be problems.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 17. Re: No audio when Capture video from a DVD on MAC
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Here's an entry in the PrPro-Wiki FAQ section on the limitations of the trial version.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 18. Re: No audio when Capture video from a DVD on MAC
                                            Rejean2100 Level 1

You know what,

firsst i'm a MAc, and FINAL CUT PRO and I am very very happy, is a 

best and usefull software, I work with Radio Canada, TVA, Big TV 

communication,  so I do not have time to waste with that......

You,re nerver tell me if your are a MAC or PC user,

at the forum experience, I feeled everybody are PC user, so of course, 

they do not know what's are they talking .....

by the way, I am using .mov, I did tried all king of movie to see, and 

nothing works during a capture from DVD.

Remig in your head again,  I did record myself a source (any music) 

from the mixer of the ADOBE Premier in the sofware.

I may playback anytime, anyway, I have already unistalled, this is no 

good for me, it will be nice to trie, now it out of my computer and I 

am very very happy,

I notice in the forum, there is no tech, just stuppid people, I 

apologied, but I feel very angry....about that, no control at all...

rej

• 19. Re: No audio when Capture video from a DVD on MAC
                                              the_wine_snob Level 9
                                              You,re nerver tell me if your are a MAC or PC user,

I am only on a PC. Probably, the majority here are also PC, though there are more Mac-users every day, and there are also quite a few here, who work on both platforms. Because I am on a PC and you are on a Mac, many of my normal suggestions would not apply, so I did not make them.

I notice in the forum, there is no tech, just stuppid people

I think that the only stupidity was in my first reply, as I did not read your OP correctly, or comprehend it fully. Harm Millaard, anything BUT a stupid person, corrected me quickly, and I apologized for my errors. "Stuff" happens. I will be stupid again, I assure you. Now, if we omit my error, early on, you have received anything but stupid tips, suggestions and help. The vast majority of the subscribers here, regardless of their native platform, offer great insight and aid to users. They love doing that, or they'd not be here. It's all about trying to help. Now, not everything that they offer will apply, or be helpful. That happens often, when one is trying to remotely troubleshoot a problem. None of us is sitting at your machine. This is not done in real time, but over time. Sometimes a question gets asked twice, because a responder did not catch that it had already been asked, or maybe did not understand the answer.

firsst i'm a MAc, and FINAL CUT PRO and I am very very happy, is a best and usefull software, I work with Radio Canada, TVA, Big TV communication,  so I do not have time to waste with that.....

That is probably the best course of action. I think that you will be far happier with FCP, than you ever will with PrPro. Stick with that plan.

Sorry that your experience here was such a bad one. Just remember that it was not because the subscribers were not trying to help you.

Good luck,

Hunt