3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 27, 2009 10:56 PM by John Joslin

New camera profile not "appearing" in ACR, but does in Lightroom

Wakatipu Level 1

I recently created a camera profile for a Nikon D200, using an X-Rite Colorchecker chart photo and the Chart feature in the DNG Editor.  I exported the camera profile.  When I go to the Calibration tab in ACR 5.5, the new profile does not appear in the drop down list with the other camera profiles.  However, when I go to the Develop module in Lightroom 2.5, the new profile does appear in the drop down list there.

I am running Windows 7.  Snooping around my root drive I find that if I look within the Users\User Name\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\CameraRaw\CameraProfiles directory (referenced in the Fraser and Schewe CS4 Camera Raw book as the Vista location for the profiles) I can find no camera profiles and when I place the new profile there it still does not appear in ACR.  When I look in ProgramData\Adobe\CameraRaw\CameraProfiles\Camera\Nikon D200    directory I can see the regular set of camera profiles for the camera, as well as the one I created, but as I previously stated, the newly created profile does not appear in the ACR list.

A side note - I did some experimentation with camera profile names.  I added "XX" to the end of the Nikon Vivid profile name (not the extension), and then that profile no longer appears in the ACR list of profiles.  I removed the extra letters and then the profile reappears in the ACR list of profiles.  Seemed odd behavior to me.  I also noticed that the profile I created with DNG Editor is noticeably smaller than the others provided by Adobe (28K compared to 110k).

Hope someone has a suggestion for me.

• 1. Re: New camera profile not "appearing" in ACR, but does in Lightroom
          Jeff Schewe Level 5

Not sure why the profile doesn't show up in both ACR & Lightroom when properly in the User level folder...it should. Also note that the reason why the User level folder and not the ProgramData folder is that only admin level users can write to the ProgramData folder. The User level folder is the suggested folder because most any user level can write to their User folder.

As far as the relative sizes, from DNG Profile Editor and the Adobe created ones, DNG-PE is writing simplified profiles while the Adobe vender profiles are highly tuned and adjusted. I suspect it makes them bigger...

Just a note, you did quit and then restart both Photoshop _AND_ Bridge after writing out the DNG profiles to your User level folder, correct? I ask because some people have Bridge running without realizing it's running. Pretty sure the ACR connection requires both apps be quit and restarted (you shouldn't have to reboot the computer though).

• 2. Re: New camera profile not "appearing" in ACR, but does in Lightroom
            Wakatipu Level 1

Your reminder about both Photoshop (main) and Bridge needing to be shut down for changes to take effect reminded me that I had Bridge set to "auto-start at log-in".  So I checked and it was still running (shown with the other hidden icons).  When I "shut it down" from the UI I had thought it was fully terminated.  So I completely shut Bridge down, restarted, and the new profile now appears.

Thanks for the reminder/pointer in the right direction.

• 3. Re: New camera profile not "appearing" in ACR, but does in Lightroom
              John Joslin Level 6

That "Autostart at log-in" is always causing problems.

It's more trouble than it's worth.