3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2009 8:36 AM by Nikkiarrrrrrrgh

Will ACR 5.6 work in Elements 8, or just CS4?

Nikkiarrrrrrrgh

Before I continue beating my  head against the wall, I guess I need to know if what I'm trying to do is even possible.  Will ACR 5.6 go into Elements yet, or is it only compatible with CS4 at this point (which it looks like from the link/info on adobe labs)? I'm on a PC with Vista.

My end goal is to process files from a 7D, which my friend with CS4 and ACR 5.5 can do but I with Elements 7 and ACR 5.5 can't.  I just downloaded the trial of Elements 8 and put ACR 5.5 in it and still no luck.  I've tried repeatedly to download/install ACR 5.6 from adobe labs into both Elements 7 and 8 but it won't even start to install - just gives me an error message and tell me to quit.  I even tried the manual install that is in the ACR 5.5 instructions but it doesn't look like that's possible, either.  I'm not all that good with tech stuff so it's not surprising that I'm having trouble, but still...either I'm missing something huge or it's not possible to do what I'm trying to do.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Will ACR 5.6 work in Elements 8, or just CS4?
          Jeff Schewe Level 5

Nikkiarrrrrrrgh wrote:

Before I continue beating my  head against the wall, I guess I need to know if what I'm trying to do is even possible.  Will ACR 5.6 go into Elements yet, or is it only compatible with CS4 at this point (which it looks like from the link/info on adobe labs)? I'm on a PC with Vista.

The "Release Candidate" versions of Camera Raw are designed and intended for use in the mainline "Photoshop" application, not other apps such as Photoshop Elements...the intent of the RC is to expand the testing base to more users of Photoshop–but not intended for nor is the installer designed for Photoshop Elements...

If you can access the main ACR 5.6 binary (the actual plug-in) I think you will find it _WILL_ work in Elements–at least recent versions...

But the installer is designed ONLY to install into actual "Photoshop CS4" installations, not Elements...

The final GM version will usually be available shortly after the RC has gotten a good testing...

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Will ACR 5.6 work in Elements 8, or just CS4?
            Nikkiarrrrrrrgh Level 1

Jeff Schewe wrote:

If you can access the main ACR 5.6 binary (the actual plug-in) I think you will find it _WILL_ work in Elements–at least recent versions...

Thank you!  Do you have any idea what the file is called that I'm looking for?  I extracted all of the files and looked for something with the plugin icon, but didn't find anything.  Sorry, this is a bit over my head.  Thank you so much for your help!

• 3. Re: Will ACR 5.6 work in Elements 8, or just CS4?
              Nikkiarrrrrrrgh Level 1

Ok, I managed to find and rename the file, but I'm having trouble knowing where to put it.  I followed the manual install instructions that were listed on the Adobe Downloads page for ACR 5.5, and put the newly renamed 8bi file into the "file formats" folder (after removing the old one), but when I'm still unable to open the 7D RAW files.  When I attempted to open a 50D RAW file, it opened but still said it was version 5.5.  What am I doing wrong?  This is way over my head