3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2009 8:57 AM by the_wine_snob

Ripping my own DVD to edit in Premiere

CapraClone

A number of years ago I created a DVD of old family movies and showed it at a family Christmas party. I then recorded everyone's commentary as they watched, and intended to marry the two in Premiere and then burn multiple copies for all my family members. Before I could that, my hard drive crashed and I wasnt able to recover the files. Now I have found a back up DVD that I burned, and I want to import all of the DVD into Premiere so I can add the commentary track, that is still on a HD tape, and then burn multiple copies for everyone. How do I rip the DVD and import it so I can do this? Thanks!

• 1. Re: Ripping my own DVD to edit in Premiere
          Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you are on CS4.2 you can import the dvd directly.

If the dvd is giving issues or wont import, copy it to harddrive and rename the .vob files to .mpg and import these files.

• 2. Re: Ripping my own DVD to edit in Premiere
            the_wine_snob Level 9
            Now I have found a back up DVD that I burned, and I want to import all of the DVD into Premiere

Just for clarification, this "back up DVD," is the DVD-Video that you played on the set-top player, so that your family could comment. Is that correct. I just want to make sure that this is the DVD-Video, and not another DVD-Data disc, that was used for some sort of backup.

If that is the DVD-Video, how did you create it? This might affect how well CS4.1, or CS4.2 can Import from it. Ann is correct that those versions of PrPro can work directly with 100% DVD-compliant DVD-Video .VOB's. If you use PrPro and Encore to create it, you should be "home free," as it will be so very simple - copy the VIDEO_TS folder from the disc and then Import the VOB's contained within - done! Ann has covered this, and I hope that it is the case, 'cause things will be very easy.

If, OTOH, you used a DVR, or maybe some other software to create this DVD-Video, then it might be a bit more involved, depending on how completely that method adhered to the DVD-specs. Some do just fine, but some play very fast and loose with those specs., and you might need other steps to get that material into PrPro.

If your case is the latter, then we'll be able to give you the necessary steps to still get the job done, and offer you some options on how to do it best. As these can be involved, I'll wait to hear back from you.

Here's hoping that your DVD-Video (if that's what it is) is 100% DVD-compliant.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Ripping my own DVD to edit in Premiere
              the_wine_snob Level 9

If your DVD is a DVD-Video, this ARTICLE will give you more background on the .VOB files.

Good luck,

Hunt