12 Replies Latest reply on Nov 29, 2009 8:43 AM by the_wine_snob

Changing Video Length

East Lax Level 1

To anyone,

I am trying to make a 30+ minute sports highlight video from digital game tapes. The Premiere Elements 8 doesn't let me make a movie that long. How do I adjust the length of time for my video?

Thanks,

Bob

• 1. Re: Changing Video Length
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Of course the program will let you make a movie 30 minutes long! You can make a movie 30 hours long if you want.

Can you describe what you're doing and what's happening?

Have you tried zooming in or out on the timeline?

• 2. Re: Changing Video Length
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>digital game tapes

What CODEC are you using for those tapes?

Also, this is aimed at Premiere Pro, but may help

A link with many ideas about computer setup http://forums.adobe.com/thread/436215?tstart=0

Many of the ideas at the next link are generic enough they have helped some Non-Premiere users fix problems
            Work through all of the steps (ideas) listed at http://ppro.wikia.com/wiki/Troubleshooting

If your problem isn't fixed after you follow all of the steps, report back with the DETAILS asked for in the questions at the end of the troubleshooting link

• 3. Re: Changing Video Length
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Bob,

Welcome to the forum.

With out some more information, however, we'll likely be hard pressed to help you - and that is something that we want to do.

The Premiere Elements 8 doesn't let me make a movie that long. How do I adjust the length of time for my video?

As Steve mentions, there is no set limit on the Duration of a Project. The only limitation might be one's computer, and the power necessary to handle the footage that would be necessary to compile a long Duration Project. Other than that, you are pretty much unlimited in regards to Duration.

I am trying to make a 30+ minute sports highlight video from digital game tapes.

First, please give us complete details on these "digital game tapes." The more information, the better. If you do not have the full specs. handy, you can download and use a little freeware utility, G-Spot, to gather that info. Just run one of the files from one of those tapes through it, and do a screen-cap of the G-Spot GUI with the file Open. All the info will be there. Along with this info, please tell us about your Project's Preset - the one that you set, when you did New Project. Note: your Project Preset must match your source footage, and that is why I mentioned G-Spot. It will give you the full specs. of that footage, to help you determine your Project Preset.

Next, tell us how you are getting the data on those tapes into your computer and also into PrE 8. Are you using PrE 8 to Capture from a miniDV tape camera, connected via FireWire, or some other method?

Once this material is in PrE 8, and in your Project Panel, how are you getting it to the Timeline for assembly and editing?

What is indicating to you, that PrE 8 will not allow a longer Duration, than 30 mns.? Are you getting an error message? If so, what exactly does it say? Are you getting a program hang? If so, what are you doing, when this occurs.

Now, when we get the answers to the questions above, we should be able to help you get almost any Duration, that you require. There might end up being some questions about your computer, but let's hold off on those, until we get info that might point to a problem there.

Good luck, and please report. As Steve has mentioned, you basically have no 30 min. limitation. Let's see what is holding your Project to that Duration.

Hunt

• 4. Re: Changing Video Length
                East Lax Level 1

Steve,

I am 1 min and 33 sec. into the tape and the time line seems to say there is only 22 avil., which causes me to conclude that I won't be able to make it to 30 minutes? Do you think it is referring to the remaining tape that I have copied to my computer?

I am not very computer literate, sorry,

Bob

• 5. Re: Changing Video Length
                  East Lax Level 1

John,

Thanks, I will look at them.

Bob

• 6. Re: Changing Video Length
                    East Lax Level 1

Hunt,

Your questions are helpful, but more specific than I can answer at this time.

John Smith gave me some web sites that I will check out.

Thanks,

Bob

• 7. Re: Changing Video Length
                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                      I am 1 min and 33 sec. into the tape and the time line seems to say there is only 22 avil., which causes me to conclude that I won't be able to make it to 30 minutes?

Where are you seeing this information? Is it during Capture from the tape in your camera, or someplace on your Timeline? That could be important.

Also, another question: are your HDD's formated as FAT-32, or NTSF? I'm just trying to think ahead with that question.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Changing Video Length

Again, have you tried to zoom out on the timeline?

Also, what is it that's indicating your only have room for 22 minutes?

If it is the capture panel, you may have some serious problems. It could be telling you that your hard drive only has room for about 22 video on it. If that's the case, you probably don't have enough free space on your hard drive for the program to work properly.

So any details you can give me as to what you're doing, when you get this message and the exact wording of the message is very important.

• 9. Re: Changing Video Length
                          East Lax Level 1

Hunt,

The video length issue turned out to be my lack of experience. It is no longer an issue. Thanks.

New question: as I download these 2 hour digital game tapes to Premiere Elements 8 the system crashes (not my computer). When I downloaded the first game it was fine. Shortly after that I attempted to add the second game, but only got 20 minute into it before it crashed. My second attempt at the second game only added 10 more minutes.

Do I need to delete the first game saved tape?

You can obviously tell that I am not very computer smart.......

Sorry,

Bob

• 10. Re: Changing Video Length
                            East Lax Level 1

Steve,

The video length issue turned out to be my lack of experience. It is no longer an issue. Thanks.

New question: as I download these 2 hour digital game tapes to Premiere Elements 8 the system crashes (not my computer). When I downloaded the first game it was fine. Shortly after that I attempted to add the second game, but only got 20 minute into it before it crashed. My second attempt at the second game only added 10 more minutes.

Do I need to delete the first game saved tape?

You can obviously tell that I am not very computer smart.......

Sorry,

Bob

• 11. Re: Changing Video Length

That would likely depend on how fast your computer is, how much RAM you have, how much free, defragmented space is on your computer and what

type camcorder you're getting your video from.

In other words, there is no simple answer without knowing a lot more about your workflow.

• 12. Re: Changing Video Length
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

I have cleaned up my computer quite a bit, but still use the tips in this ARTICLE before beginning any editing session.

Now, once you have a clean, mean editing machine, if you still have issues, you could work on one tape at a time. When done, Share/Export as a DV-AVI (if you're doing standard definition work), calling it Game_01, Game_02, etc. When done, you can Import these DV-AVI files into a "finals" Project for assembly and burning to DVD, or similar.

Also, giving the full details of your computer will help us determine where bottlenecks might lurk. The same for the game footage, that you are working with. This ARTICLE will give you an idea of the types of info that will help. Just read down a bit, since you've already gotten past the first part, "starting a thread."

Good luck,

Hunt