19 Replies Latest reply on Nov 4, 2011 8:29 AM by Cineblaze

Video/audio sync issues with mpeg playback

Docj0nes Level 1

Hi All,

A good while back now I used premiere pro 2.0 to export an hours HD tape to mpeg format. I can't remember if when exporting I selected NTSC format or not (I am in a PAL region) but now I have created a new project in CS4 to edit it I am experiencing a number of issues on playback:

1) Looks like interlacing issues on playback

2) Audio and Video are out of sync and gets slightly worse as the video continues

3) Frame rate does not look like 25fps like CS4 states in the project panel.

Playing the raw mpeg file back via VLC or WMP (11 gig) removes the audio/video sync issues and also the frame rate does not look to be an issue. Interlacing remains.

I have upgraded to Windows 7 recently but will stress that these issues were apparent in my XP pro OS too. I do have XP still so could possibly try any suggestions out that people would require XP for...

I'd like to know if I could fix this file.. It's one of my daughter who was 4 months at the time and I can't seem to find the DV tape so I'm unable to re-capture it.

Hopefully someone knows what I've doen wrong and better still - how to fix it!

Cheers,

Docj0nes

• 1. Re: Video/audio sync issues with mpeg playback
          Jim_Simon Level 8

Hopefully someone knows what I've doen wrong

You're working with a format that was designed for delivery, not to be used as source media - MPEG.

how to fix it!

Don't use MPEG as source.  In the future, that means using only DV, DVCPRO, DVCPRO HD, AVC-I or RED format cameras.  For this project, it may mean conversion before import.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Video/audio sync issues with mpeg playback
            Docj0nes Level 1

Thanks for your speedy reply. Do you have any suggestions on what to use for mpeg conversion? Obviously I would like a lossless method so I assume I would like to convert to RAW AVI? Preferably I would like some way of stating exactly what I want i.e. stating frame rate, resolution etc. If anyone knows of a guide for this that would be of great help. My searches have not been great today.

Thanks.

Docj0nes

• 3. Re: Video/audio sync issues with mpeg playback
              Docj0nes Level 1

Hi,

I've just read this post: http://forums.adobe.com/message/1713222#1713222

It explains that capturing HDV will indeed be in mpeg format. I have the Sony HDV camcorder and captured the video in HDV resulting in the mpeg format.

Know one mentions in the thread that it is a bad idea to edit using this format - and seeing that the mpeg file I have is the original format it was captured to from my HDV camera I would of expected better playback and decent editing possabilities than what I am getting.

Also - I've tried a couple of conversions in premiere pro - using uncompressed avi format. This was running for approx 15% and was already double the mpeg size so I cancelled. I don't want to compress the source file at all but cannot expect the file size to be that huge?

I seem to be babbling a bit and I'm a little confused myself as to what I'm getting at so in summary:

1) I have an mpeg file (HDV) captured using pp2.0. This was captured from a Sony HDV camcorder.

2) Issues with playback in ppCS4 causing visual/audio sync issues in both WinXP and Win7 and aliasing. (I've returned back to XP for now to remove any of Win7's issues). Playback of the mpeg file (11gig file) in VLC or WMP plays back fine - albeit with aliasing. No sync issues.

3) I mentioned before the frame rate of 25fps. As I've loaded the file into two different projects - an NTSC and PAL version the file has been conformed a number of times stating in the properties window within CS4 a frame rate of 25fps and also 29.97fps depending on what project I opened last. I now cannot trust CS4 when it tells me frame rate as it has converted the frame rate to fit the project settings. How can I check the true frame rate of the file?

4) Doing as Jim suggested I have attempted to convert the file to AVI. Using an uncompressed avi setting so not to lose quality the file CS4 media encoder was creating was huge. Doing a 20sec clip created a 1.5gig file. I'm unsure converting to a compressed avi file format is the right option for me.

5) What to do from here? I no longer have the source tape so cannot re-capture the video. I'm also wary of using premiere pro for conversion if thats the route I must take, due to the playback issues I'm currently getting through the program.

Hope people can help with this problem.

Cheers,

docj0nes

• 4. Re: Video/audio sync issues with mpeg playback
                Harm Millaard Level 7

You are not making much sense but the only sensible advise is to set your sequence properties to fully match what you shot in terms of resolution, framerate, NTSC or PAL, audio, etc. If you don't know in what mode you shot, all bets are off.

For capturing HDV I suggest you use HDVSplit, freeware and everything Adobe should have given but does not, like scene detection, preview and no OOS errors.

• 5. Re: Video/audio sync issues with mpeg playback
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Jim,

Can you please stop this charade. We all know your dislike of MPEG formats, but please accept that a lot of people use it, that it is an accepted format, that people have no other choice with the camera they have, and that you only have a right to speak out if you use alternative formats (other than DV) regularly, which AFAIK is not the case.

• 6. Re: Video/audio sync issues with mpeg playback
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    Also - I've tried a couple of conversions in premiere pro - using uncompressed avi format. This was running for approx 15% and was already double the mpeg size so I cancelled

The file size WILL be much larger, as it will contain all Frames, not just an I-Frame every so often, and only "difference" Frames in between. When each individual Frame is rendered, the file size will grow and grow quickly.

Also, MPEG audio sync can have issues. Too often, these are dynamic OOS, so that the error expands, as the Duration increases.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Video/audio sync issues with mpeg playback
                      Docj0nes Level 1

Thansk for your input Hunt. When you explain about dynamic OOS for MPEG files I should note that the mpeg file I have plays totally in sync when played through a media player. It's when it is imported into CS4 and played back is when I see the issue. If the actual file was out of sync then I expect I would experience the same issues as I am seeing in PPCS4.

I'm lost with this. I may have to lose it altogether or keep an OOS copy on DVD. Shame.

• 8. Re: Video/audio sync issues with mpeg playback
                        Matt Petersen Level 3

doc, just out of interest, if your footage out of sync only on playback in Premiere, try exporting it and see if it's still out of sync. the issue may just be Premiere struggling to playback the footage in the monitors.

do you have any red frames in there anywhere?

FWIW, camera MPEG footage always looks crappy in my monitors, but seems to sort itself out on export. I'm not sure why this is.

In terms of working out exactly what your footage is, download G-Spot or Super, both will give a good interrogation of the actual file properties.

MP

1 person found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: Video/audio sync issues with mpeg playback
                          the_wine_snob Level 9
                          FWIW, camera MPEG footage always looks crappy in my monitors, but seems to sort itself out on export. I'm not sure why this is.

This could be the Display setting of the Program Monitor. Most recommend 100% Magnification (not Fit) and Highest for Quality. Some have found that Automatic does a better job, but some have had to switch from it to Highest. Experiments will tell you which is better for your system.

Also, remember that the Program Monitor is but an emulation. It's the same for Preview in Encore - just an emulation. Exporting and studying the resultant footage on proper playback equipment is the only way to really test.

Many editor reserve their judgement for a calibrated CRT monitor, hooked up via FireWire.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Video/audio sync issues with mpeg playback
                            Docj0nes Level 1

Thanks for your reply Matt.

I do have a few red frames during playback. I didn't think much of it before... is this an issue? Another thing to search the forum for I expect

I have exported once before, I will do it again to satisfy this problem persists. Hopefully I'm like you in that it sorts itself out!

Cheers,

Docj0nes

• 11. Re: Video/audio sync issues with mpeg playback
                              Harm Millaard Level 7

Red frames are indicative of dropped frames and these cause the out-of-sync issues. Your best bet is to recapture with HDVSplit, as I suggested in post #4.

• 12. Re: Video/audio sync issues with mpeg playback
                                Matt Petersen Level 3

Doc, if the original tape is MIA, and the occurrence of red frames is not too often throughout the sequence, you'll be able to salvage most of it by chopping out the red then re-syncing the sound by eye, chopping and re-syncing, chopping and re-syncing. Some dropped parts (represented by red plates) might be so short that the change may be barely noticeable played through with a short (~4-6 frame) dissolve).

Good luck.

MP

• 13. Re: Video/audio sync issues with mpeg playback
                                  Docj0nes Level 1

Thanks again Matt, and to the rest of you who have posted. The red frames are minimal so I expect to be able to salvage the majority of the video. If the conversion has the same issues as I am seeing currently in premiere, Hunt's OOS workflow is where I'll be visiting next.

As long as I can salvage the majority of the footage I'm happy. Just may take me a couple of hours to get there!

• 14. Re: Video/audio sync issues with mpeg playback
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Doc,

Good luck, and please report both your workflow and your success.

Hunt

• 15. Re: Video/audio sync issues with mpeg playback
                                      Docj0nes Level 1

Hey,

It took me around two hours although I think I could do it in less if I skipped parts and looked for sync issues.

As my syncing issues were plenty I decided to just sit and watch the whole file from the start. In the bottom right corner of Pr it will show a red cross when Pr found a frame playback problem. Watching at normal speed you would see the majority of red flickers anyway but occasionally you would miss one.

I followed this workflow: -

Dropped frame is found. Cut it out using the razor tool and delete.

I trim off a second either side of the cut file so a transition can be used.

I use a marker file to pinpoint a place in the audio I can match with video.

When I find the spot on the video I want to match with the marker I cut the video at that point and delete anything that comes before that point (up until the previously cut section).

Align the video file start position to the marker I made for the audio and then drag the video back to where the previous cut was made using the ripple edit tool (correct me if I'm wrong on the name of that tool).

After all is done I go and add transitions where needed.

MJ

• 16. Re: Video/audio sync issues with mpeg playback
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Using the Markers is a good move. Too often, these little tools are forgotten. I use them for all sorts of editing cues, especially as my memory is not what it once was, and my eyes are failing!

Good luck,

Hunt

• 17. Re: Video/audio sync issues with mpeg playback
                                          Matt Petersen Level 3

Doc I'm really glad this worked out for you.

As you probably gathered from my posts, I have had my fair share of fun and games ingesting HDV footage from our HV30's and XLH1's. I've never really been able to track down the cause of the dropped frames that I've experienced, but luckily there's always the backup of capturing DV instead from the camera.

As Harm points out, HDV Split is the way to go, though this hasn't been a flawless experience for me either.

best of luck.

Matthew

• 18. Re: Video/audio sync issues with mpeg playback
                                            GregSchlueter

Did you get a reply to this? It's my exact problem in one particular project. Raw is fine. No solution in CS5... re-capture, new project, convert through Encoder... don't want to export to AVI.  Perfectly fine editing HDV mpeg with other sophisticated projects. Someone suggested HDVSplit... couldn't that be equivilent to CS5 scene detect (etc.)? Thanks for your reply.

• 19. Re: Video/audio sync issues with mpeg playback
                                              Cineblaze

Hi I've same problem with audio video out of sync with adobe premier pro cs 5.5.2 in mac os x lion video file is HDV mpeg capture....???????