25 Replies Latest reply on Mar 14, 2013 2:31 AM by BetsisLefteris

Film Fades

Jim_Simon Level 8

Andrew Kramer of Video Copilot has created a couple of film-like fade presets for After Effects.  You can see more about these at the link below.

http://www.videocopilot.net/presets/film_fade_transition/

As something of a cinephile, I really like the way Andrew's fades more closely resemble the way celluloid looks when doing it optically.  But it was something of a pain going into AE to create that look for every single fade in my project, even with the new "Replace with AE Comp" goodnes of CS4.  I wanted to see if I could recreate that same look in Premiere.

I succceeded.  Andrew's Film Fades are now available directly within Premiere.  Just download the Presets below.

(One note of instruction.  The Title Fade is based on a standard 5 second title.  If you apply it to a longer title, you will have to adjust the end set of keyframes.)

• 1. Re: Film Fades
          dradeke Adobe Employee

Very cool Jim - thanks.

• 2. Re: Film Fades
            dradeke Adobe Employee

give me the details (via private message if you wish) and I can try to replicate for a Mac.

• 3. Re: Film Fades
              lestra7 Level 1

Thank you Jim, this is nice idea, and can make life easier

Also, what if you make second keyframes EASY IN in Fade In preset?I think it looks much better.

Thanx

• 4. Re: Film Fades
                Jim_Simon Level 8

I'll give it a try.

• 5. Re: Film Fades
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Jim,

I posted a link to this thread in PrE, just in case. I'll also play with these, to see if with maybe a file extension change, they can work there too.

Thanks,

Hunt

PS - sometime back, a user on the Muvipix forum was working with Kramer's Fades, but was having some issues. I do not recall what those were, but it seems that in their case, the source footage's Contrast made a big difference. If I can find that discussion, I'll run it past you, in case you can benefit from that.

• 6. Re: Film Fades
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

OK.

There is definitely a visible difference between key frame interpolations.  Trouble is, no settings I try in Premiere will exactly duplicate the results of Andrew's AE preset.  This could be some program weirdness, or simply my own ignorance.  (I reeeeally don't understand the whole Keyframe Velocity thing.)

I'll keep playing.

• 7. Re: Film Fades
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

As a starting point, maybe look at Continuous Bezier.

Just a thought,

Hunt

PS - again, thanks!

• 8. Re: Film Fades
                        Jim_Simon Level 8

After some more playing, I was unable to exactly reproduce Andrew's effect.  It's close, but not exact.

However, I've decided I actually prefer the look of the Linear keyframed effect, so I've stopped playing.

• 9. Re: Film Fades
                          lestra7 Level 1

I checked in AE, Andrew Kramer used BEZIER keyframe interpolation for all keyframes.Maybe not perfect but I am really happy now with this preset.Much better than simply "Dissolve in" or going to AE just to fade in one clip.

Once again, thanx Jim, good idea.

• 10. Re: Film Fades
                            Jim_Simon Level 8

You're welcome.

• 11. Re: Film Fades
                              Dag Norum Level 2

First: Thanks to Jim for bringing film fade into Premiere.

Second: For those who don't have After Effects or Premiere CS4 (or only have PPro CS4 for MAC), here's a starting point, the *direct* translation (AE to PPro) on what Andrew Cramer did in AE:

In PPro:

1. Apply the effects Levels and Tint to the clip you want to fade in.

2. Figure out how long time you want the fade to be.

3. At the time you want the fade to end, set keyframes, without changing any settings, for the following: Opacity (an effect that's always there), under Levels: "(RGB) Black Input Level" and "(RGB) White Input Level", and finally, under Tint: the "Amount to Tint".

4. Go to the start of the clip and set the following values:
                              For Opacity: 0%
                              For "(RGB) Black Input Level": 186
                              For "(RGB) White Input Level": 54
                              For "Amount to Tint": 35

5. Select all keyframes (at least start and end for each effect), right click on the last one and select Continuous Beziere.

For Fade Out, just set keyframes (unchanged values) for where you want the fade to start, and then put in the above values for where you want it to end (reverse procedure you may call it).

Now, I tested this in PPro 1.5, and one thing I noticed was that Tint doesn't have the same impact in PPro as in AE. Maybe I should try the same thing in PPro CS3, but not right now.

I wonder if maybe Dennis could do a test or two to see if the Tint effect works the same way in AE and PPro.

Anyway, as stated, the procedure above is a starting point.

Dag

PS! One could always play with the keyframe handles in order to make the speed-curves as one wants.

• 12. Re: Film Fades
                                Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

For CS4 on W7 the tint is the same in Pro as in AE. The impact depends on the image.

A few year ago Aharon Rabinowitz did an AE turorial for the Cow on a film flash transition which is very easy to customize for Pro.

• 13. Re: Film Fades
                                  Jim_Simon Level 8

For CS4 on W7 the tint is the same in Pro as in AE.

You mean the settings, or the appearance?  I could not match the settings for Tint and Opacity between the programs.  (Failing those, I never tried for Levels.)

For example, the Opacity at frame 2 of the fade in would be 1% on AE and something else in Premiere.  Frame 3 would be 4% in AE and again different in Premiere.  Nothing I did with keyframes in Premiere would exactly match the AE settings.

• 14. Re: Film Fades

I meant appearance.

In the past I tried several 'effects' for AE in Pro and never got the settings the same. But then again Pro is no AE, but with some tweeking you can get very close.

• 15. Re: Film Fades
                                      Dag Norum Level 2

Of course I tried with exactly the same footage in AE and PPro, It could be that AE and PPro have two different ways to mix effects though, and it could be that CS4 "all of a sudden" has gotten it all right now. I don't know...

Have you tried it Ann? A to B...

Dag

EDIT: Meaning the Tint effect of course (and also in mix with other effects).

• 16. Re: Film Fades
                                        Dag Norum Level 2

Ann,

Something funny is in play here, and I did some more testing this morning.

As you said, Tint is (or at least seems to be) the same in PPro and AE. But, applying Cramer's preset in AE and then switching Tint off and on gives a pretty big difference, much more than in PPro after building the fade there.

A strange thing (and what made me believe in differences between AE and PPro ) is that if I changed the order of the Level and Tint effects in AE (using Cramer's preset), and then back to the original order (Level first), then switching the Tint effect off and on gave the same results as in PPro (much less difference between Tint on and off).

Dag

• 17. Re: Film Fades
                                          AudoWarp Level 1

Does it work in CS5?

Where do I put the file?

• 18. Re: Film Fades
                                            Colin Brougham Level 6

It does. Unzip, and double-click the .PRFPSET file; it will be added to Premiere in a "Fades" folder.

• 19. Re: Film Fades
                                              AudoWarp Level 1

I double-click the .prfpset file, and

Premiere starts up.

However, I don't see a "Fades" folder anywhere.

Where would I find this "Fades" folder?

• 20. Re: Film Fades
                                                Colin Brougham Level 6

Well, since they're presets, they're in the presets folder. You could also search for "fade."

• 21. Re: Film Fades

Rightclick on the word Presets in the Effects window.

Import Preset...

• 22. Re: Film Fades
                                                    AudoWarp Level 1

Thank you.  Double-clicking the file didn't do the trick.

Importing it did.

• 23. Re: Film Fades
                                                      Arlo Ihrig Level 1

Jim!  You just saved my bacon!  I started researching how to do this myself, and low and behold, you already did it!  Saving me a gajillion hours and headache going back and forth into AE for this.

THANK YOU!

• 24. Re: Film Fades
                                                        Jim_Simon Level 8

You're welcome.

• 25. Re: Film Fades
                                                          BetsisLefteris

I made this 6 presets fade in and fade out from black or White with two filters Camera Blur and ProcAmp:

01. Black fade in

02. Black fade out

03. Black fade in and out

04. White fade in

05. White fade out

06. White fade in and out

http://www.4shared.com/rar/OuR8n_fa/Betsis_Special_Fade_in-out_Pre.html

I hope to join