10 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2009 6:54 PM by the_wine_snob

Distorted Aspect Ratio of Exported Frames

Itay B. Level 1

My project's aspect ratio is 16:9 (720 horizontal, 576 vertical).

I inserted a clip into the timeline.

I exported a certain frame to a file as an image.

The image file's size: 720 x 576.

I proceeded to import the image file into the project, and inserted it into the timeline.

The image's aspect ratio is not the same as the original footage.

Specifically, the horizontal side is narrower than originally (see attached screenshots).

What causes this discrepancy?

More importantly, what can i do to get exported frames to match the aspect ratio of the project?

• 1. Re: Distorted Aspect Ratio of Exported Frames
          the_wine_snob Level 9

What is the Pixel Aspect Ratio (PAR) of your source footage in your Project? What is the PAR of your resulting image. Photoshop, or similar, will tell you what that PAR is. If your Frame-cap is in your Project Panel, you can check its Properties there.

Likely, you have a mismatch in PAR.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Distorted Aspect Ratio of Exported Frames
            Itay B. Level 1

Hi, Hunt.

Thanks for your reply.

From my project panel i've examined the properties of both the image and the video clilp.

In both cases the pixel aspect ratio is 1.067.

• 3. Re: Distorted Aspect Ratio of Exported Frames
              the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, both your source footage's Frame Size (pixel x pixel) and PAR matches up with your Frame-cap's. Is that correct?

If so, there must be something in your display of that still, that's getting in the way. What are the full details of your Project Preset, especially things like Scale to Fit (or similar syntax)? If you Rt-click on the still in the Timeline is Scale to Frame Size checked? Now, if your Project Preset, your source footage and your still image all match up, these should have no part in what you are seeing. It almost looks like you're seeing a vertical image in your still image, but you say that it's 720 x 576 with the same PAR. Curious.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Distorted Aspect Ratio of Exported Frames
                the_wine_snob Level 9

As a test, you can send me copy of your JPEG. I assume that you're in a PAL Widescreen Preset. Is that correct? I can easily set up such in PrPro, and Import your JPEG. Not sure that it's easy to switch back and forth between NTSC (my location) and PAL in PrE.

My e-mail address used to be in my Profile, but with the forum update, many things have changed. Anyway, you could attach it to an e-mail and send to infoAThuntphotoDOTcom. Obviously, AT = @ and DOT = . Just be sure to put "Adobe PrE" in the subject, so that my MailWasher does not trash the e-mail.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Distorted Aspect Ratio of Exported Frames
                  Itay B. Level 1

Why, thanks, Hunt. This is so kind of you.

I've sent you one of the pics.

Actually, it's a bitmap, rather than a JPEG.

Could this be the problem?

If so, how can i specify to PE to save the frames in JPEG?

P.S.

You are right, i am using the PAL system.

• 6. Re: Distorted Aspect Ratio of Exported Frames
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, I've got the BMP. When I looked at your images, I thought that we were seeing your still image on the Timeline. We are not. That shape/size is what was produced.

Now, remember that I am on PrE 4, so things will be different in PrE 8. Still, I should be able to get you close. In PrE 4, one uses File>Export>Frame to do a Frame capture under the CTI (Current Time Indicator), and visible in the Program Monitor. When you choose this, you will get the standard Windows dialog screen, where you name and locate your still image. There is also a settings button, that will open up a second dialog box, for you to adjust many attributes of your Frame capture. There, you will have three choices in the left-hand Pane: General, Video and Keyframe and Rendering. First, go to General, and you'll get File Type w/ a dropdown. There, you can choose the format type and should have JPEG, TIFF, BMP, TARGA and GIF (maybe more in PrE 8, like PNG?). I'd stick with TIFF or BMP. About the only other choice is whether you want to add this captured still in your Project, or not. That is your choice.

Go to the Video listing in that left-hand Pane. There you can choose the Frame Size, the PAR and the Color Depth. Make sure that these match your Project's and your source footage's exact specs. Unless you need the Alpha Channel, and are using either TIFF or TARGA, leave Color Depth to Millions of colors. Otherwise, choose Millions +, where the + is that Alpha Channel.

I'd guess that it's in those settings, as to what is happening with your Frame capture. Let me know if you get this sorted, and sorry for my mis-step, but I was not clear on what I was seeing, and where I was seeing it.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Distorted Aspect Ratio of Exported Frames
                      Itay B. Level 1

Thank you very much, Hunt.

I'll try your suggestion, but it'll take me a while, because i'm editing another segment now, and also i may decide to go to sleep at some point...

• 8. Re: Distorted Aspect Ratio of Exported Frames
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Though I can only get you screen-caps of the screens in PrE 4, but if you get lost (remember, things like "Export" is now all in Share, plus possibly other changes), let me know, and I'll get you some images with annotations to direct you.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Distorted Aspect Ratio of Exported Frames
                          Itay B. Level 1

I've tried exporting via the "File>Export->Frame" dialog, as you suggested, and, by changing the default Pixel Aspect Ratio, was able to export the frame with the desired aspect ratio.

Thank you so much, Hunt. You're amazing!

• 10. Re: Distorted Aspect Ratio of Exported Frames
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

You are most welcome. I only wish that I was doing so well on your Media Offline post. That one has me baffled. Sorry for the false start with PrPro stuff. Sometimes, I assume that what is in PrPro is also in PrE, and I get egg on my face...

Good luck,

Hunt