15 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2010 3:03 PM by the_wine_snob

Media Offline

Itay B. Level 1

After the software hanged, i aborted it via Windows task manager.

When i reopened the project, and set the time marker over the last couple clips, the message "Media offline" was displayed (see screenshot).

What does it mean, and, more importantly, how can i restore the original clips

• 1. Re: Media Offline
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Media Offline means that one has chosen to make it Offline (obviously not your case), or that the Project file has lost the link to the location of that media. In the Project Panel, locate each of these files, and Rt-click on them. You should see something along the lines of "Re-link Media." choose that. You may have to navigate to where that media is located on your HDD.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Media Offline
            the_wine_snob Level 9

I mentioned that one can choose to Offline Media. The two main reasons that one would do this, or that it could happen would be where an editor does not have access to all media, but still wants to work on other aspects of a Project. The second is where the user deletes, or moves the Assets, and then launch a Project. It cannot link to the Assets now, and will prompt the user to locate them. Should the user choose not to locate them, the Project can still be loaded, if the user chooses to Offline/Offline All, or Skip (this one might only be in PrPro). The Project will Open fine, but the "lost" media will be Offline. If the user then does a Save (not a Save_As), every time that they Open that Project, that media will still be Offline, until they manually re-Link to it. If they do a Save_As, that condition will only exist in the Save_As Project. The original Project, when opened will prompt for the location of the missing files. This is one place that Save_As comes in handy.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Media Offline
              Itay B. Level 1

Thanks.

Unfortunately in the meanwhile i've already deleted the problematic clips and re-inserted them.

Next time i bump into this problem, i'll try your solution.

• 4. Re: Media Offline
                the_wine_snob Level 9

The important thing is that you got it handled and are back to editing. It's likely that when you had the crash, the links were broken in the .PREL file (Project file), and then PrE could not find them any longer.

Happy editing,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Media Offline
                  Itay B. Level 1

Hi, Hunt.

The problem recurred, only this time many, many more clips have been affected by it (6 grueling hours' worth of clips).

I've followed your advice above, but there's no "Re-link Media" or any similar item on the files' context menus (see attached screenshot).

Do you have any idea?

• 6. Re: Media Offline
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Dang, you caught me. That's where it is in PrPro. Let me search for Offline Media, and see what I find for PrE.

Sorry,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Media Offline
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, I have a question: when you Opened this Project, the one with the Offline media, did PrE ask you to locate the missing files? It should have.

Do not Save this Project. Do a Save_As instead. Close out this Project, and then Open the original. Hopefully PrE will ask you to locate the Offline files.

Looking through Help, I cannot find any reference to relinking media in PrE. That surprises me greatly. There has to be a easier way, than to delete, and re-Import, as edits will be lost.

Now, why your media is becoming unlinked would be about the first thing that I would look into. I have only had this when a file was renamed, moved, deleted, or the drive letter of an external had changed - this is equal to being moved.

Are you editing to a USB external HDD? I had all sorts of read/write failures with those. Mostly Delayed Write Failures, but got Windows error messages.

Sorry for getting my NLE's confused.

Hunt

• 8. Re: Media Offline
                        Itay B. Level 1
                        when you Opened this Project, the one with the Offline media, did PrE ask you to locate the missing files?

No, PrE didn't ask me to locate the missing files.

Do not Save this Project. Do a Save_As instead. Close out this Project, and then Open the original. Hopefully PrE will ask you to locate the Offline files.

Unfortunately, this is not the case. PrE does not ask me to locate the offline files.

Now, why your media is becoming unlinked would be about the first thing that I would look into. I have only had this when a file was renamed, moved, deleted, or the drive letter of an external had changed - this is equal to being moved.

I have done nothing of the sort. I have neither renamed, nor moved, nor deleted any file, nor has the drive letter of any file changed, since i only have a single drive.

Are you editing to a USB external HDD?

No, i am not.

• 9. Re: Media Offline
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Whoa,

It sounds like something is going very wrong. As for relinking those Offline media files in PrE, maybe someone else will have the trick. According to the PrE 4 Help, this is always done automatically, but that is not working in your case.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Media Offline
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

One thought, though it is a bit of work:

The .prel file is an XML datatbase. Back in PrE, make a note of the file names that are Offline. Write these down carefully.

Make a copy of your .prel file, and then Open it in WordPad. You will need to go to All Files. You'll get a rather long file, with XML syntax.

Start with one of the file names, and do Find. Look for the stated path. Is that correct? If not, correct it. Do it again, as that file will appear several times. Check every line with that file name in it. Repeat with the next name, when your Find yields not found. Continue, until done.

Since you worked on a Copy, you can do a Save. Then, launch PrE and choose Open. Navigate to that edited .prel, and choose it. What happens?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Media Offline
                              Itay B. Level 1

I managed to get over the problem.

I don't know what the real problem was (as opposed to its external manifestation as i described in my original posting), so i don't understand why the step i took to solve it in fact solves it.

Here's what i did that solved the problem:

There was a clip in the middle of my movie that i had time-streched by 200%.

I restored this clip to 100%. Then i closed PrE.

When i'd relaunched the program, my movie was back to normal.

• 12. Re: Media Offline
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

There was a clip in the middle of my movie that i had time-streched by 200%. I restored this clip to 100%. Then i closed PrE. When i'd relaunched the program, my movie was back to normal

This is interesting. Others have reported issues with Time Stretch, but I do not recall them being similar to yours.

As an alternative, maybe try Effect>Posterize Time. In both PrPro and PrE, this has gotten the editor what they wanted with no problems.

Just a thought,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                                • 13. Re: Media Offline
                                  Itay B. Level 1

Thanks. I'll give it a shot some time.

• 14. Re: Media Offline
                                    topshows

Bill:

I am having the same problem except I can see the clips in the timeline with thier file names, and those same files are still up there in the organizer but when the controller slide moves over them they show up on the video screen as "media off line".  I can re-link them manually by highlighting the same file in the organizer and then right-clicking on the clip in the timeline and selecting "replace clip from: the organizer on the drop down.  Also PRE never asked me to locate the missing files when I opened the project as it does when a file is moved

• 15. Re: Media Offline
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Are the files located on an external, a networked/mapped drive, or on a DVD disc?

PrE keeps good tabs on the Path of the Imported files, and unless they have been Moved (or the Path changed, like with an external HDD), or Renamed, should not loose them. Something has to have gotten in the way. The more details that you can furnish on the location of the files, the easier it will be to determine why PrE has become confused.

Good luck,

Hunt