6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 29, 2009 8:32 AM by JETalmage

Why does my anchor handles keep disappearing?

nicolanicola Level 1

This is literally driving me mad.  When I change something via convert anchor tool and then release, the handles disappear and when I click back on the anchor point they go back to where they were originally.  I want them to stay selected. The path has been created using the pen tool.

Another related question, is there a way to just select one of the handles when clicking an anchor point?  Whenever I click both are selected so when I move the mouse, the other handle is being manipulated too.

And another question, is there any way to stop anchor handles reverting to their original position settings when clicking to activate them?  I always have to click, then undo.

• 1. Re: Why does my anchor handles keep disappearing?
          JETalmage Level 6
          When I change something via convert anchor tool and then release, the handles disappear

Look in the View menu. Is the Show Edges command listed? If so, select it.

and when I click back on the anchor point they go back to where they were originally.

That's why it's called a CONVERT anchorPoint tool. Click to convert the anchorPoint to a corner point (retracting its handles). ClickDrag to convert the anchorPoint to a smooth point, extending its handles symmetrically.

is there a way to just select one of the handles when clicking an anchor point?  Whenever I click both are selected so when I move the mouse, the other handle is being manipulated too.

What tool are you selecting the handle with? Drag an extended handle with the Convert tool and it will move independently of the anchorPoint's other handle. Drag an extended handle with the white pointer and the anchorPoint's other handle will move if the anchorPoint is a Smooth point, but will not if the anchorPoint is a Corner point.

is there any way to stop anchor handles reverting to their original position settings when clicking to activate them?

Yes. STOP clicking them with the CONVERT tool. Select an anchorPoint with the white pointer. The Convert AnchorPoint tool is for CONVERTING anchorPoints, not for selecting them.

JET

• 2. Re: Why does my anchor handles keep disappearing?
            nicolanicola Level 1

Thanks for that very informative post!

Show edges wasn't on so that's fixed that now.  Funny name for it, show edges...how are you meant to work out what it means from that name?  With pencil and paintbrush you double click and choose keep path selected, you'd think it'd be the same.

Ok, I do select them with the convert anchor point tool, so I'll use white pointer from now on.  When I first select point with convert anchor point tool though, both handles move and it is usually just the case that I want to select one of them.  I know you said if they are extended, but they're not when I first want to convert them so as soon as I click and drag, I am moving both handles.

• 3. Re: Why does my anchor handles keep disappearing?
              Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Nicola,

You may work on one handle only by Alt/Option+ClickDragging it; you may also retract one handle that way.

• 4. Re: Why does my anchor handles keep disappearing?
                JETalmage Level 6
                You may work on one handle only by Alt/Option+ClickDragging it; you may also retract one handle that way.

ONLY IF you're using the white pointer. Doing that with the Convert tool will duplicate the segment. Again, Nicola, don't use the Convert tool to select points. That's what you're tripping over.

Funny name for it, show edges...how are you meant to work out what it means from that name?  With pencil and paintbrush you double click and choose keep path selected, you'd think it'd be the same.

Nicola, you need to spend some serious time in the documentation.

The Keep Selected option for the Pencil and Brush tools is an entirely different function. It determines whether a path you draw with the tool REMAINS SELECTED after you mouseup.

The Show/Hide Edges option in the View menu determines whether a path's selection edges DISPLAY when it IS selected.

I'm certainly not defending Illustrator's awful interface design; I'm just telling you how it is. (All the more reason you need to read and work through the instructions.) The Show.Hide Edges command is actually a workaround for a particularly bad aspect of Illustrator's poor design: it's insistence on displaying edges of all contents of selected Groups, Clipping Paths, etc. All those selection edges frequently get in the way, so somewhere along the way, Illustrator had to add an option to override the annoying standard behavior. This, too, is poorly done, because you really can't operate for long that way.

Other programs don't have to second-guess themselves in things so basic as selection display, because they have more sensible interfaces to begin with.

JET

• 5. Re: Why does my anchor handles keep disappearing?
                  nicolanicola Level 1

JETalmage wrote:

Nicola, you need to spend some serious time in the documentation.

The Keep Selected option for the Pencil and Brush tools is an entirely different function. It determines whether a path you draw with the tool REMAINS SELECTED after you mouseup.

The Show/Hide Edges option in the View menu determines whether a path's selection edges DISPLAY when it IS selected.

Thanks for the explanation.  So when I mouse up on the anchor point when edges are hidden, the point is actually still selected?  I though it was deselected because it wasn't highlighted any more.

Could you point me to helpful documentation for illustrator then please?

• 6. Re: Why does my anchor handles keep disappearing?
                    JETalmage Level 6
                    Could you point me to helpful documentation for illustrator then please?

The Help menu. Start at the contents and start paging through it just like a book. As you go, actually perform any operations you don't fully understand.

JET