14 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2009 4:27 PM by the_wine_snob

Gradient filter overlay?

WebDevP

Hi Guys,

Just started using Pre and really enjoying it and finding it easy to use, except for this one effect.

I want to create a horizontal or radial gradient overlay on top of my video so that the edges fade to black.

Feathering the adges effect doesn't work as I've zoomed in so you can't see any difference.

Any help would be appreciated as I thought this would be a standard effect.

Thanks!!

• 1. Re: Gradient filter overlay?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It sounds as though you're describing an edge feather effect. But then you say you don't want an edge feather?

Can you post an example of what you're trying to accomplish? Even a still photo with the technique applied? I'm sure we can recommend a way to do it.

• 2. Re: Gradient filter overlay?
            WebDevP Level 1

Steve - thanks so much for replying...will post an example in a sec.

I'm new to video editing and thought it would be feather edging also but not sure how to achieve it with the first keyframe of the clip scaled in.

• 3. Re: Gradient filter overlay?
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

There are actually a number of ways, including using the Track Matte.

Post your example and we'll offer at least one that will work for you.

• 4. Re: Gradient filter overlay?
                WebDevP Level 1

OK - i've just done this quickly in FW.....this is the effect I want...

• 5. Re: Gradient filter overlay?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

There are probably a number of ways to get there, but I would create a Matte image in Photoshop. Start with the matching Preset for your footage, say NTSC 720 x 480 WideScreen 16:9 PAR 1.2, with Transparent Background. Do a Color Fill Layer Layer with R=16, G=16, B=16 (dark gray), and then use the Circular Marquee with a Feather = 100 (experiment with Feather and Size). Locate this in the center of the image, and Delete. Save this as a .PSD and Import into PrE. Position it on Track 2 (or the top Video Track), and the click-drag on the Tail to set the Duration. You can add Dip-to-Black on both ends, if you want it to transition in.

Hope that this helps,

Hunt

Family_Blackberry_Farm.jpg

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Gradient filter overlay?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Addendum to above: one can also animate this Matte for Motion>Scale, as is needed. If you were to do that, then you would want the image to be a bit larger, and the "hole" to be a bit smaller to start, and then you increase the "hole" by Motion>Scale. You can also add the Effect>Gaussian Blur to this Matte, should you want things a bit softer, and this could even be animated so that it basically fades away. The fixed Effect>Opacity could be employed in this, as well.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Gradient filter overlay?
                      WebDevP Level 1

Thanks Wine Snob - I'll try that out and see how it works out....didnt realise it supported transparent PSDs etc....

• 8. Re: Gradient filter overlay?
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

I'm not sure of the limits of PrE, but .PSD and .PNG (think it handles those), plus TIFF (think it handles Alpha Channels), can all have Transparency. As I work mainly in PrPro, I sometimes forget exactly what PrE can, and cannot, handle.

With Keyframing some of the fixed Effects, like Motion>Scale and Opacity, plus many non-fixed Effects, one can animate such a Matte in all sorts of ways. Have fun, and let me know how it works for you.

BTW - the Feather and the Size can be so easily manipulated in PrE, that you can start off pretty small and at least semi-soft on the edges, with your .PSD. With Motion>:Scale, and Effect>Gaussian Blur (or other Blurs), you can pretty much "tune" what you have to what you want.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - I choose the dark gray, 16, 16, 16, as that is about where "black" is in NTSC TV. If you are in PAL-land, don't hesitate to go to 0, 0, 0. We NTSC folk should usually be working in the ~16 - 236 gamut, if going to TV, i.e. DVD.

Message was edited by: the_wine_snob - Added PS

• 9. Re: Gradient filter overlay?
                          WebDevP Level 1

Great - was going to ask about why you chose the dark grey over black...I am PAL so will be doing it 000!

Cheers,

Tim

• 10. Re: Gradient filter overlay?
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Tim,

Had I seen "programme," or "colour," I'd have gone with 0, 0, 0 right away!

Yes, in your case, no need to fiddle with 16 - 236, as 0 - 255 will work just fine. Remember, "NTSC" = Never The Same Color."

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Gradient filter overlay?
                              Adam Adamowicz Level 1

Quick and easy way to make a mask in vignette style in PsE.

Start New document

vignette01.jpg

Add new layer and hide or delete Background

vignette02.jpg

Chose gradient tool and black color (PAL use 16-230 color range, RGB use 0-255, but it works for pure black too)

vignette03.jpg

Right click inside of the canvas and choose "foreground to transparent"

vignette04.jpg

Chose radial gradient and edit gradient

vignette05.jpg

Swap the opacity values or make something more complex if You want

vignette06.jpg

Left click and drag from center of canvas

vignette07.jpg

Tadaa.

If You want something more oval use Free Transform, and eventually after getting shape you want fill holes with the same black.

Save as PSD or PNG (layered PSD gives You more control on more complex multilayered graphic)

Now just add this image on top of Your PrE composition.

Of course You can animate this, but You may have to have bigger size of canvas. Just like The wine snob said.

Adam

• 12. Re: Gradient filter overlay?
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Adam,

Very nicely done step-by-step vignette tutorial.

I'd like to suggest that Steve, or you, post this to the Tips & Tricks sub-forum, accessed via the link at the right of the main forum page.

This is a repository on articles telling the user how to do certain things in in PrE. I post a lot of articles there, on various subjects, so I can easily link to them the next time that a user has the same question, or problem. Some of these articles are on troubleshooting, building a computer for NLE work, and also how to do various tasks in PrE. Your reply would be great there, so that it does not get lost in this thread.

If Steve cannot do this from his MOD console, we can talk about the best way to get it over there.

Good luck, and thank you for the input - well done!

Hunt

• 13. Re: Gradient filter overlay?
                                  Adam Adamowicz Level 1

the_wine_snob wrote:

Adam,

Very nicely done step-by-step vignette tutorial.

I'd like to suggest that Steve, or you, post this to the Tips & Tricks sub-forum, accessed via the link at the right of the main forum page.

I am new to the forum in total

How can I move it. Just copy and paste content to new post in Tips&Tricks, or there is other way?

Adam

• 14. Re: Gradient filter overlay?
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Adam,

I think that Steve, the MOD, will do this for us. He cleans up the FAQ sub-forum, the Tips & Tricks sub-forum, and moves/copies great posts to those, when needed. Besides answering most questions here, he does a great job of getting things where they belong.

Thanks for the contribution,

Hunt