8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2009 12:16 AM by macrofireball

Can't open pptx in Captivate 4

sjpvt001

Hello,

I am using Captivate4 with PowerPoint 2007.  I am trying to "Create Project" using the "From MS PowerPoint" option from the Captivate 4 opening dialoge box.  PowerPoint is working fine on my computer, but when I try to open a pptx file from within Captivate, I get the following error message:

The operation could not be completed.  Use one of the following options that is applicable to you, and retry.

- Close any PowerPoint window open on your computer.

- Install PowerPoint on your computer.

- Ensure that you are able to create a PowerPoint file and save it.

I also tried creating a "blank project" in captivate and then trying to "Insert" a PowerPoint slide, but I get the same error message.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

sjpvt

• 1. Re: Can't open pptx in Captivate 4
          mvlele Level 3

Hi,

Can you do a quick check? Open task manager of your Windows system. This can be done by right clicking on task bar and select 'task Manager'. Go to the tab 'Processes' and look for "Powerpnt.exe" process. If available, kill it (end process).

Now try to import pptx file in Captivate. Once you get the mentioned error, again look into the task manager and check if you see "PowerPnt.exe" process running?

Also do you have more than version of Powerpoint installed on your system?

Its worth trying to open PowerPoint App and then try importing .pptx in Captivate. It might work.

Regards,

Mukul

• 2. Re: Can't open pptx in Captivate 4
            mvlele Level 3

Hi,

Can you do a quick check? Open task manager of your Windows system. This can be done by right clicking on task bar and select 'task Manager'. Go to the tab 'Processes' and look for "Powerpnt.exe" process. If available, kill it (end process).

Now try to import pptx file in Captivate. Once you get the mentioned error, again look into the task manager and check if you see "PowerPnt.exe" process running?

Also do you have more than version of Powerpoint installed on your system?

Its worth trying to open PowerPoint App and then try importing .pptx in Captivate. It might work.

Regards,

Mukul

• 3. Re: Can't open pptx in Captivate 4
              sjpvt001 Level 1

Thank you, Mukul, for your response.  I looked in Task Manager and there is no indication of Powerpnt.exe running.  I then tried running Captivate 4 again and trying to open a PowerPoint pptx file.  Again, the same error message.  While Captivate was still open, I again looked in Task Manager and again, no PowerPoint running.

I also tried opening the PowerPoint application and then trying to open a pptx file from Captivate, and again got the same error message.

Very strange.  Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Stephen

• 4. Re: Can't open pptx in Captivate 4
                mvlele Level 3

Hi,

I can think of a workaround right now. You can convert the .pptx file to a .ppt file in PowerPoint App. Then try to import this .ppt file in Captivate. It should work.

I will post again if i can think of any possible solution.

Regards,

Mukul

• 5. Re: Can't open pptx in Captivate 4
                  mvlele Level 3

By the way, can you please tell your system details -

- Windows system details

- Windows Service Pack installed, if any

- Powerpoint 2007 complete version number with Service Pack details

Regards,

Mukul

• 6. Re: Can't open pptx in Captivate 4
                    sjpvt001 Level 1

Hello again, Mukul.

I will try the ppt conversion idea this afternoon.

As far as my system is concerned, I am running Windows Vista Enterprise with Service Pack 2.

PowerPoint is Office PowerPoint 2007 (1.2.0.6504.5000) SP 2 MSO (1.2.0.6425.1000).

System is a Intel Core 2 Duo 3.Ghz with 4 GB of RAM.  On Dell Optiplex 7500.

Hope this is helpful.

Regards,

Stephen

• 7. Re: Can't open pptx in Captivate 4
                      chuckej Level 1

I'm having same problem as sipvt001.   I have been using the "save as" .ppt to get around this.  This has preserved most functionality, animations and timing from the original - with a few annoying, but manageable exceptions (graphic and sound issues).

If I had to guess, I might suggest looking at UAC related issues....

I'm current with all OS (V ista Ultimate), Captivate 4, and Powerpoin 2007 updates.

• 8. Re: Can't open pptx in Captivate 4
                        macrofireball Level 3

Hi folks,

If you have not already done so please report these issues using the web address I have included below. In my experience if you report a bug, in the most cases not only will the Captivate team get back in touch with you but will also suggest that you send them sample files so that they can examine the bug in more detail.

Adobe Captivate Feature Request/Bug Report Form

The more PowerPoint issues we can get resolved for the next version the better.

Best - Mark

Visit the macrofireball blog