14 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2009 10:35 AM by the_wine_snob

How to Make a Sound Clip Loop?

Itay B. Level 1

PrE7.

How to make a sound clip loop a given total duration of time?

• 1. Re: How to Make a Sound Clip Loop?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

In PrE, just add several instances of it onto the Audio Track.

In certain audio-editing programs, one can set the file to be looping. However, even with those programs, I will just add the necessary instances to suit my needs.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to Make a Sound Clip Loop?
            Itay B. Level 1

Thanks, Hunt.

I've got this sound clip that gives me hard time.

I've tried concatenating instances of it to manually create a loop.

For some reason, i PrE doesn't let me get two instances of this clip adjacent to each other; there's a small (several frames long) gap between them that i'm unable to close by dragging and dropping.

Another variation of this problem is that when i move two instances adjacent to one another, the other tracks "make way" from this point onward, and a gap results on all the other tracks.

• 3. Re: How to Make a Sound Clip Loop?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Please tell us more about this Clip, and also which Track(s) you're putting it onto.

A quick, free workaround would be to get Audacity and there do your Audio editing. Save as PCM/WAV 48KHz 16-bit and Import that into PrE.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - I do most of this type of work in Adobe Audition, and then Save/Import

• 4. Re: How to Make a Sound Clip Loop?
                Itay B. Level 1

The problem clip is attached.

I tried putting it on various tracks. I even created a new track specially for this clip, but the problems persisted.

• 5. Re: How to Make a Sound Clip Loop?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Here's a lengthened one. I did nothing else to it.

Hunt

[Edit] This was done in Audition - I forgot to check the sample rate, and depth.

BTW - what total Duration did you need?

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: How to Make a Sound Clip Loop?
                    Itay B. Level 1

Wow, thanks so much for your assistance, Hunt! The lengthened version you've sent is terrific.

• 7. Re: How to Make a Sound Clip Loop?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Just let me know if you need it longer, or shorter. I still have both your original, and the edited version on the system. Won't delete for a couple of days. One can also tailor an edited version to get an exact Duration, by basically Time Stretching the Clip. I do this in Audition, so I can maintain the pitch and other aspects of the file. PrE can do it, to a degree, but I like the control of Audition. Also, one can Keyframe Volume to Fade-Out earlier than the last Audio Unit, if they needed to.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - when using SFX, I often have more material, than I'll need. Instead of editing it in Audition, I'll just put the entire SFX Clip on a Track, and Keyframe In, and Keyframe Out to just the spot that I need. That way, if, say I lengthen my Video Clip later, I just need to adjust the SFX's Keyframes and I still have enough material to use - I do not have to re-edit in Audition.

• 8. Re: How to Make a Sound Clip Loop?
                        Itay B. Level 1

Gosh, thanks, Hunt! No, i don't need it any longer. I think Adobe should hire you as a support person. If you need a recommendation letter, i'll provide one with enthusiasm...

• 9. Re: How to Make a Sound Clip Loop?
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Thanks for the kind words, but I think I'll keep my day job. However, I hear that the Friday Maine lobster lunch at the Official Adobe Cafeteria is nice...

Happy editing,

Hunt

• 10. Re: How to Make a Sound Clip Loop?
                            Adam Adamowicz Level 1

Itay B. wrote:

Thanks, Hunt.

I've got this sound clip that gives me hard time.

I've tried concatenating instances of it to manually create a loop.

For some reason, i PrE doesn't let me get two instances of this clip adjacent to each other; there's a small (several frames long) gap between them that i'm unable to close by dragging and dropping.

Another variation of this problem is that when i move two instances adjacent to one another, the other tracks "make way" from this point onward, and a gap results on all the other tracks.

I know the problem. It occurs when You get sound from other source than video. When You capture video with sound then audio clip will end exactly with frame length. So there is no "gap problem"

Audio sample (ex. wave) is not equal to frame rate. So Your sound can end somewhere between frames in timeline. Then after audio clip You have gap smaller than one frame.

audio_gap1.jpg

There is workaround in PrE.

You can close this gap by trimming end of clip (here green) by one frame (exactly less than one frame, just to the nearest full frame).

audio_gap2.jpg

Now You can have next clip adjacent.

If you want to make quickly a loop effect trim it more in end and beginning of clip. Use audio transition for smooth transition.

audio_gap3.jpg

Loop ready.

Adam

• 11. Re: How to Make a Sound Clip Loop?
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Though it is not at play here, the Audio Units can cause problems with DVD-Videos. The DVD-specs. favor Video, over Audio, and it takes precedence over Audio. When authoring a DVD-Video, one needs to make 100% certain that their Audio does not exceed the Duration of the Video, by even one Audio Unit - problems can crop up. To insure that my Audio is always shorter than the Video, I always leave about 1 full Frame of Video, with no Audio.

Along those same lines, if one is Exporting DD 5.1 SS (not possible in PrE alone), I always leave about 02 sec. of silence at the beginning of the DD 5.1 SS Audio Track. Many set-top players, especially the high-end ones, need about 02 sec. to "lock onto" the DD 5.1 SS Audio stream.

Just some additional comments on Adam's excellent explanation of how just one Audio Unit can make things difficult, when trying to butt-up Clips.

Hunt

• 12. Re: How to Make a Sound Clip Loop?
                                Itay B. Level 1

Thank you, Adam. You too, Hunt.

• 13. Re: How to Make a Sound Clip Loop?
                                  Adam Adamowicz Level 1

Good to know Hunt

Three days of deep study about DVD-specs., and even more for tests due to compatibility of my products with set-top players and I'm still "deep in the forest". I love those unstandardized standards. My brain hurts, but that is something for other discussion. Uhh.

You are welcome Itay. The pleasure is mine. I hope it's helpful.

• 14. Re: How to Make a Sound Clip Loop?
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Adam,

For the full specs. (and history) of CD/DVD, I highly recommend DVD Demystified by Taylor, Johnson and Crawford, McGraw Hill Press. So very much is covered in that book. It's basically my "go-to" for anything on the DVD/BD specs.

Also, as I use Adobe Encore to author, I spend a good deal of time on that forum. There are several experts, who post there: Jeff Bellune (he wrote the book on Encore), Neil Wilkes (major audio DVD/CD producer in the UK) and Jbowden, who really knows his Encore. These folk are great resources on getting the very most out of the DVD-specs., and also some highly esoteric tid-bits on audio. There are tons of great posts there, and many of them transcend the use of Encore, and are heavy on working with the DVD-specs, and their suggestions play in almost any full-authoring program. A day, or two of reading will cover so much territory - some specific to Encore, but most specific only to DVD/BD.

Good luck, and thank you,

Hunt