2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 29, 2009 2:22 PM by Steve Grisetti

Merging "projects" into one

kktexnew

Another problem I cannot seem to find an answer to.  I have created 8 seperate projects (using Premiere Elements) to make sure I did not loose any time cut off any single projects.  I wanted to merge these "projects" into 4 seperate projects.  However, when I try to import the projects (prel) into the organize window using "get media & PC files" PE says it does not support the file type.  WHY NOT?  PE wrote it, why doesn't PE support it???   If I am doing something wrong or if there is a procedure I am not aware of please advise.  Thanks.

• 1. Re: Merging "projects" into one
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You should have bought my book, kk! It's right in there!

It sounds like you're trying to import project files into a project rather than video files.

To merge several small projects into one big one you just output each short project as a DV-AVI (Share/Personal Computer/AVI) and then open a new project and import those AVI files into it!

• 2. Re: Merging "projects" into one
            the_wine_snob Level 9

With your 8 sub-Projects, I'd think about naming conventions to make things very easy on you. Given 8 total, with 2x each of 4 combined Projects, I'd look at something like 01_Film_01.AVI, where the first is your Project 01 and the second number is where it falls in that Timeline. Here, it would be first. Now, if you know your sub-Projects' names and your combined Projects' names intimately, this might be overkill.

When I am Exporting for Import to Encore, I make sure to accurately name each Sequence (think mini-Projects in PrE0 in PrPro and then make sure that I rename each Button in my Menus. When I get to Encore, I know that Button "Liz_at_Home" will Link to "Liz_at_Home" in the Timeline Panel. Keeps things simple.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - one of the great features in PrPro is the Sequences, which are like mini-Projects in one Project. I'd love to see this trickle down to PrE, as it would do just what you, and many others, want - combine Projects.