1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 30, 2009 4:46 AM by BigJohnD

Pagemaker 6.5 and rainbow bridge error.

SteveRPage

I recently replaced my harddrive and reloaded pagemaker 6.5 on to my HP laptop with Vista. The program loaded OK but when I wnt to open it I got a 'rainbow bridge' error message. When I clicked ' continue' it closed the program. How can i fix this?

• 1. Re: Pagemaker 6.5 and rainbow bridge error.
          BigJohnD Level 3

A quick Google session brought up this:

"Rainbow Bridge," by the way, refers to the "bridge" spanning the gap between the two color realms, not to the bridge between Asgard and Midgard that Heimdall watches vigilantly.

and

"Rainbow Bridge is a component of PageMaker 6.0x that enables PageMaker 6.0x to access Color Management Software, and is one of the first components PageMaker loads during startup. Ensuring there is enough memory available to start PageMaker and that PageMaker, one or more of PageMaker's components, the system, or the hard disk are not damaged, enables PageMaker to load Rainbow Bridge as expected."

and

PageMaker CMS preferences Program Files\Adobe\PageMaker 7.0\Rainbow.cnf

So, at a guess, uninstall the CMS system using the setup CD and delete the configuration file "Rainbow.cnf".

No guarantees mind as you are using a last century application on a current OS.

Your choices for effective working are:

1. Install PM6.5 on a PC with a contemporary OS, e,g Win98SE or Win2K
          2. Move on to InDesign, which will also run on Windows7

Iechyd da! John
          12:47 30/11/2009 GMT