4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2009 9:29 AM by the_wine_snob

File Type Not Supported or Required Codec Missing

Itay B.

Premiere Elements 7.

I am trying to import a simple sound effect from an *.au file.

PrE doesn't import the file, saying: "This type of file is not supported, or the required codec is not installed". (see attached screenshot).

What can i do about it?

• 1. Re: File Type Not Supported or Required Codec Missing
          Itay B. Level 1

OK. I've converted the file from "au" to "wav" using a free online service: media-convert.com .

I wish PrE would handle it automatically, though.

• 2. Re: File Type Not Supported or Required Codec Missing
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Remember that audio-editor, Audacity, that I linked to in another thread? It will open .AU files and then allow you to Save (convert) to .WAV.

While PrE can handle a lot of different file formats (and CODEC's), it cannot handle them all. Same with video. I strongly recommend that one get into a workflow, where any audio, that is not PCM/WAV, convert to PCM/WAV before Importing the file. It's about the same with video - convert to something that PrE can work easily with.

This method solves a lot of problems and will usually diminish the overhead that the program needs to work.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: File Type Not Supported or Required Codec Missing
              Itay B. Level 1

Thanks, Hunt. I'll give this Audacity thing a try.

• 4. Re: File Type Not Supported or Required Codec Missing
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Though I have Adobe Audition, several Magix audio-editors and a half-dozen NLE's with audio functions, I have a copy of Audacity on all machines. It's small, efficient and easy to use - oh, and it's free!

Now, it does fall down my list of "go-tos," so I am anything but an expert with it. OTOH, Steve Grisetti has done a multi-part set of articles on Audacity, and they are on Muvipix. Do not recall if they are free articles, or if one needs to subscribe to access them. I also seem to recall that Audacity has both a forum and a tutorial, or two, plus some useful plug-ins available for the program. After you download and install it, you might want to poke around the site a bit - I think that there's more instruction around there.

Good luck,

Hunt