10 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2009 11:07 PM by mdho8

Importing from a Sony HDR-XR500V

mdho8

Hi guys, noob here.

I've been digging all over the internet and I can't seem to find an answer to this.

I recently purchased a Sony HDR-XR500V Handycam. The camera is a 1080p hd camera (sorry I don't actually know much about specs) but I know a friend forewarned me about buying a camera with a hard drive because of the difficulties I'd have uploading. Stupidly, I purchased this camera and I'm pulling my hair out trying to get my video created.

I run Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 and the software won't detect my camera even when the computer does. Sony has me uploading through a program called Picture Motion Browser instead, which came with the camcorder. It then saves it in a weird file format (mt2?). The software gives me the options to convert it to wmv or mpeg2, but when I convert it to wmv the picture quality becomes cell-phone caliber and when I convert it to mpeg2 and import it adobe can't load the sound from the file.

If I can find a way to

-Import it into CS3 directly

or

-Convert it to mpeg2 and still maintain the sound

Then problem solved

I desperately need this for a project due this week and I hope you guys don't mind my noobness

Thanks! =D

• 1. Re: Importing from a Sony HDR-XR500V
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Two major problems with this camera:

1. AVCHD. It may require a much beefier computer than you currently have, something the salespeople never tell you when you buy the camera. I7 overclocked may be around minimum.

2. AC3 5.1 sound. You may need to demux your clips and convert the audio to 48 KHz 16 bit stereo PCM/WAV.

Do not convert to WMV. Leave it in the format it is imported. All conversions will severely reduce quality.

If you can still exchange the camera for another, more edit-friendly model, jump at it.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Importing from a Sony HDR-XR500V
            mdho8 Level 1

Unfortunately I've had the camera too long to exchange for another.

I believe my computer is powerful enough to run everything (it's a powerful gaming computer I built only a year ago)

"2. AC3 5.1 sound. You may need to demux your clips and convert the audio to 48 KHz 16 bit stereo PCM/WAV."

How do I do this? I'm sorry I'm not extremely tech savvy itself but this sounds like it could be the solution

Another thing is: When I open the video in windows media player, the sound plays properly but the picture is blank until halfway through it becomes 1 specific frame. However, when I open it in the source window of premiere, it plays perfectly, except dead silent.

• 3. Re: Importing from a Sony HDR-XR500V
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Unfortunately a 'Gaming' computer is far from ideal for an 'Editing' computer. What are your specs (CPU, memory, disk setup, etcetera)?

Look at www.doom9.org to help you find demuxers and converters or use Google.

• 4. Re: Importing from a Sony HDR-XR500V
                Jim_Simon Level 8
                Sony has me uploading through a program called Picture Motion Browser

As a point of interest, 'uploading' means to transfer from a local source to a remote computer, such as over the Internet.  The correct term in this case is simply 'transfer' or 'copy'.

• 5. Re: Importing from a Sony HDR-XR500V
                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                  How do I do this? I'm sorry I'm not extremely tech savvy itself but this sounds like it could be the solution

I use Adobe Audition to "rip" the muxed Audio. Then, you just Save as PCM/WAV 48KHz 16-bit.

I believe that Soundbooth can do this too, and also the freeware program, Audacity.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Importing from a Sony HDR-XR500V
                    Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The problem is not the camera but CS3, it does not support AVCHD.

You need to convert to a format Pro understands like AVCHD Upshift from VASTT.

http://www.newbluefx.com/avchd-upshift.html?vmcchk=1

• 7. Re: Importing from a Sony HDR-XR500V
                      mdho8 Level 1

I looked over the files again and they're actually saved in a format called .MODD and not .mts or .mt2s. I've been researching this online and nothing comes up except that people can't use it.

• 8. Re: Importing from a Sony HDR-XR500V
                        Jim_Simon Level 8

"The MODD files are "sidecar" files containing Metadata about the clip  that aren't contained in the video file. Open them using a txt or xml  editor and you'll see the information."

"This file is used to store information on video taken with various Sony Camcorder models. This file is reported to accompany a .m2ts file.  The mysterious .MODD file appears to contain information regarding dates and time-lines related to your recording.  Attempts to delete these files in order to improve video archiving have resulted in loss of time-line data and some claim to have experienced a loss of audio data."

This camera is very much a consumer model.  I would recommend using consumer software, especially if the camera came with any.

• 9. Re: Importing from a Sony HDR-XR500V
                          Sloz Level 1

I also have a Sony HDR-XR500V and am using PPCS4 without problems. Never tried CS3, but CS4 allows editing in native MTS format. If you look at the camera hard drive, the files are .M2TS, but when copied onto your computer hard drive they become .MTS files which are handled nicely in CS4. You don't really need the Sony software, I just open up windows explorer, copy the files from the camera hard drive to your computer hard drive and edit from there. As mentioned, you need a robust system to handle editing of this AVCHD format.

1 person found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: Importing from a Sony HDR-XR500V
                            mdho8 Level 1

I've got it working now. Thank you guys so much for adamantly answering my questions! I owe you a lot