29 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2009 1:44 PM by the_wine_snob

How to apply an effect to an entire, multi-clip movie?

Itay B. Level 1

Premiere Elements 7.

I've almost finished a multi-track movie, containing numerous video and audio clips, with titles and all sorts of visual- and audio effects.

The movie was shot in color.

Now i want to have the movie black-and-white and give it an old look.

I know there are two built-in effects specially for these purposes.

But is there a fast and easy way to apply these effects to all the movie, or do i have to go clip by clip?

• 1. Re: How to apply an effect to an entire, multi-clip movie?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

One can apply an Effect to a single Clip, then Rt-click that Clip, choosing Copy. Once done, they can lasso all other Clips, Rt-click and choose Paste Attributes.

There is one thing to think of: Copy/Paste Attributes will Copy ALL Effects on that Clip, and will then Paste them to all others. If you have a "clean" Clip someplace, just apply that one Effect that you want, and do as per above. If you do not have a clean Clip, just add one to the end of your Timeline, apply the Effect and do the Copy/Paste Attributes to all the rest, then delete your "dummy" Clip at the end. Remember, Copy/Paste Attributes will Copy and Paste ALL Effects, so that one could end up with multiple applications of Effects that were already applied - just be aware of this, hence the use of the dummy Clip.

If one did not want to lasso a long Timeline, using the dummy Clip, you just hit Ctrl+A (Select All), then Shift-click the dummy, and all the rest are Selected.

Hope that this helps,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to apply an effect to an entire, multi-clip movie?
            Itay B. Level 1

Thanks, Hunt.

But what will happen if the effect i wish to apply is a visual one (e.g. black and white) and some of the clips in my movie are purely audio?

• 3. Re: How to apply an effect to an entire, multi-clip movie?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Audio Effects will only apply to Audio Clips, and Video Effects will only apply to Video Clips. You are protected.

In PrPro, which has a lot of Audio Effects specific to stereo, mono and 5.1 SS, Audio Effects of one type, will only apply to Audio Clips of that same type.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: How to apply an effect to an entire, multi-clip movie?
                Itay B. Level 1

I've followed your advice, and it's worked perfectly. Thanks!

• 5. Re: How to apply an effect to an entire, multi-clip movie?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Great! So long as one remembers that the Copy will Copy ALL Effects, when using the Paste Attributes and either does this operation before any additional Effects are added, or they use the concept of a "dummy" Clip, I find it very fast, and very efficient.

I usually do things in the order first listed here, where I plan the Effects to come, set up the ones that will be common to all, then do the Copy/Paste Attributes action. However, there are many times, where I have all sorts of Effects on all Clips, and just want to universally add one-two more. Then the "dummy" comes out. Just remember to remove him, before you Export!!!! Otherwise, you'll get a surprise.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: How to apply an effect to an entire, multi-clip movie?
                    Itay B. Level 1

When i wrote above that all went down perfectly, i was basing it on an experiment on a test project.

Now that i've tried the trick on the real project, things didn't go quite as well.

Specifically, all the clips that have a Blue Screen Key effect applied to seem to have lost the effect as well as any postion and scaling settings. When i look at the effects' property settings, i see that they're configured appropriates, but the monitor isn't consistent with these settings. This is true even after i've applied the "Render Work Area" command to the entire movie.

Additionally, there was a fade-out effect that i had set up manually using using keyframes and opacity. This is now completely distroyed, as if i had never done it: the keyframes are gone, and the opacity level remains fixed at 100%.

• 7. Re: How to apply an effect to an entire, multi-clip movie?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

This is odd behavior to me. I've also not heard of Pasting Attributes canceling out existing Effects. I wonder if this could be a glitch, or workflow change in PrE 8?

In PrPro, Paste Attributes will Paste all that were copied, even if it means that it's adding some of the same. I've never seen it cripple existing Effects. In this program, I have Copied and Pasted dozens of Attributes without issue.

Maybe, so that others can see and then comment on what you've done, take an example Clip, and list all of the Effects that were originally applies, which ones were Pasted, and which ones lost their settings and the ability to Render and Preview. I have just never encountered, nor read, of similar.

I'm totally at a loss, and do not even have PrE 8 to test on. With your list of Effects (both before and after), I will test in PrE 4, to see what happens.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: How to apply an effect to an entire, multi-clip movie?
                        Ed.Macke Level 3

Just a thought for another workflow...

You could take your entire project and export it. Then, open a new project and add the just-exported file.

The new project would contain a single clip (which is your entire movie) to which you could apply the B&W effect.

1 person found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: How to apply an effect to an entire, multi-clip movie?
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Ed,

That should work fine too, so long as the editing is pretty much done.

PrPro has the ability to Nest Sequences, and then one can add Effects (globally to the Nested Sequence) and have them applied to all material in the Nested Sequence.

Good one,

Hunt

PS - as I read of these issues, I kept flashing back to the Track Matte Keying issue that you worked so hard on. Wonder if there are any parallels?

• 10. Re: How to apply an effect to an entire, multi-clip movie?
                            Ed.Macke Level 3
                            That should work fine too, so long as the editing is pretty much done.

Yeah, I was going to mention that. Any editing changes would necessitate doing the whole "export / import / apply effect" sequence over.

It's actually just a variation of the concept I've seen posted on the forum (from Steve???) on doing smaller projects and combining them into one, final project.

PS - as I read of these issues, I kept flashing back to the Track Matte Keying issue that you worked so hard on. Wonder if there are any parallels?

"Worked so hard on"? You mean "banged my head against a wall so hard on"?

Well, with the Track Matte, all the properties were still intact, it just wouldn't work, so it sounds like something different?

The only thing wonky I've noticed with PrE copy-and-paste is that you can end up with double effects. For example, I had a clip with the "Old Time" effect (or whatever it's called). I copied it, then selected another clip and pasted it. But the target clip already had an "Old Time" effect, so I actually ended up with 2 "Old Time" effects on the target clip - the original plus the pasted version. It didn't wipe out the original settings, it added another complete copy with different ones!

That did not sound like something PrE would like! So I immediately deleted one of them.

It doesn't sound like that's what the OP ran into though?

• 11. Re: How to apply an effect to an entire, multi-clip movie?
                              the_wine_snob Level 9
                              The only thing wonky I've noticed with PrE copy-and-paste is that you can end up with double effects.

Yes, that is the same in PrPro too. That was why I mentioned the "dummy" Clip, that was otherwise "clean," except for the new Effect(s) to be added.

Once, without paying close attention, I did a Copy/Paste Attributes with one new Effect. Well, I had already done that before, and did not realize that I already had double Levels and Shadow & Highlight - now, all of my Clips had triple Levels & Highlights, plus those new Effects - Ouch! Taught me a lesson to be careful about Copy/Paste Attributes, and working with "clean" Clips.

I am still puzzled about the existing Effects still being there, with the correct settings, but they seem to have been turned OFF. Gotta' be something happening, but I cannot think of what it might be. Obviously, if there were double Motion>Position Effects, or similar, only one would work, but this does not seem to be the case here.

Hunt

• 12. Re: How to apply an effect to an entire, multi-clip movie?
                                Ed.Macke Level 3
                                I am still puzzled about the existing Effects still being there

It seems like the OP maybe had 2 things going on? 1) Some effects were still there intact, except they were turned off, and 2) Some effects had their settings altered.

I wonder if the Paste operation might *overwite* some things (e.g. opacity settings) and *add* other things (e.g. effects). Although, that wouldn't explain the "added" effects turning OFF the original effect. I could have sworn when I ended up with multiple effects, they were all active. Maybe that changed with v8 (I'm on v7)?

That was why I mentioned the "dummy" Clip

I admit, I kind of skimmed the "dummy" clip post because I was focused on whether the option to export / import had already been covered.

I don't have PrE in front of me, but I think there might be an alternative to that, too?

I'm pretty sure that if you open a clip's Property panel, you can right-click a single effect and click Copy. If you open another clip's Property panel, a Paste operation should only paste that one, chosen effect - not all settings from the source clip.

I'm not sure what would happen if you just rubber-banded the other clips in the timeline and did a Paste (instead of opening the individual Property panels). I'm thinking it would paste just that one effect to all clips.

If that's true, would you still need to do the dummy clip?

• 13. Re: How to apply an effect to an entire, multi-clip movie?
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                                  I'm pretty sure that if you open a clip's Property panel, you can right-click a single effect and click Copy. If you open another clip's Property panel, a Paste operation should only paste that one, chosen effect - not all settings from the source clip.

Ed,

I can only test on PrE 4. There, I can Rt-click on a single Effect (used two non-fixed to test), and choose Copy, but when I try to Paste Attributes to either another Clip, or to a group of Selected Clips, it's grayed out.

Now, going back to the fixed Effects, if they have not had their attributes set, they do not Paste. If they have had their Attributes set, those settings do Paste. This is true for Motion>Position & Scale, Volume, Opacity, and all of the others, as far as I can tell. Pasting Attributes and Effects can behave a bit differently, depending on the Effects.

Just some observations,

Hunt

• 14. Re: How to apply an effect to an entire, multi-clip movie?
                                    Itay B. Level 1

Hi Hunt. Thanks for replying. In answer to your request to list all the effects under consideration, here it is, with respect to the movie segment that gave me the most trouble.

The segment consists of three video tracks (as well as several audio tracks):

1. Video 3: A background, to which no effects are applied.

2. Video 4: The middle layer, to which two effects are applied: Blue Screen Key and Crop (the effect order for this clip is: Image Control, Motion, Opacity, Blue Screen Key and Crop).

3. Video 5 + Audio 5: The top layer, to which two effects are applied: Videomerge and Crop (the effect order for this clip is: Image Control, Motion, Opacity, Videomerge, Crop, Volume and Balance).

The subject filmed in the middle layer casts a shadow over the blue screen. In the colored version of the movie, i was able to block out this shadow by a delicate calibration of the Blue Screen Key's Threshold and Cutoff gauges. But after applying the Black & White and the Old Film effects, the shadow would not go away no matter what.

After applying the Black & White effect to these clips via "Copy Attributes", here's what the effect lists look like:

1. Video 3: Image Control, Motion, Opacity, Black & White and Old Film.

2. Video 4: Image Control, Motion, Opacity, Black & White, Old Film, Blue Screen Key and Crop.

3. Video 5: Image Control, Motion, Opacity, Black & White, Old Film, Videomerge, Crop, Volume and Balance.

I finally managed to remove the shadow by replacing the Blue Screen Key effect applied on Video 4 by a Sixteen-Point Garbage Matte effect.

By the way, Is it possible to reorder the effects of a given clip?

• 15. Re: How to apply an effect to an entire, multi-clip movie?
                                      Itay B. Level 1

Thank you very much, Ed.

In the end, it was your solution that i opted for (even though i was finally able, after a lot of tweaking, to adjust the original project to an acceptable condition).

• 16. Re: How to apply an effect to an entire, multi-clip movie?
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

The probable reason that the shadow came back was that the Keying was done in the color image. When changed to B/W, the critical settings no longer apply, as they took color into consideration. Now, 16-pt Garbage Matte is very useful, as you have seen.

Given your description, and using PrE, I would have done all editing, up to the B/W & Old Film, in one Project. As Ed suggested, Export/Share that Project as a DV-AVI, or if HD an appropriate format with as close to a lossless CODEC as possible. Then, I'd Import that file into a new Project, and apply the B/W and Old Film Effects to it. The Color Keying would have been preserved from the first Project.

As I mentioned, PrPro allows one to basically do this, without the Export/Share operation, though Nesting. There, the B/W & Old Film would be applied to the Nested Sequence.

As to the reordering of the Effects (except for the Fixed Effects, Opacity, Motion, etc.), most can be reordered. Especially with the Adjustment Effects, this can change the result. I always do Levels before Shadow & Highlight. If I added them in the other order, I would just click-drag Levels to above S & H. You can see the Effect change, when you click it, and a black bar move about, when you drag it.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 17. Re: How to apply an effect to an entire, multi-clip movie?
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Given the Effects used, Ed nailed the workflow! Way to go Ed.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 18. Re: How to apply an effect to an entire, multi-clip movie?
                                            Ed.Macke Level 3

Once in a great while, I get something right

I actually use that workflow a lot for my DVD menu loops when I use the Movie Reel theme (that might not be the exact theme name).

I will put together the clips I want to use for my loop, including fade-in/outs, audio, etc. I then export that, apply the Old Film look to the entire sequence, and export again. I use that final, exported version as the source for my DVD menu, where the theme automatically converts the source to B&W/sepia.

Hunt, I did not know you could re-order effects! I've learned something new today! That's really good to know.

One question though: what are "fixed effects" and what are "adjustment effects"?

When I get a chance, I'm going to experiment with the whole copy-and-paste thing discussed above. What I did worked for me, but I think it's because I got lucky rather than because I knew what I was doing - which is the case a lot of the time!

Good thread, guys!

• 19. Re: How to apply an effect to an entire, multi-clip movie?
                                              Itay B. Level 1

Ed, you wrote: "I actually use that workflow a lot ... I will put together the clips I want to use for my loop, including fade-in/outs, audio, etc. I then export that"

What export format do use? Do you apply any custom settings to this format?

• 20. Re: How to apply an effect to an entire, multi-clip movie?
                                                the_wine_snob Level 9
                                                Hunt, I did not know you could re-order effects! I've learned something new today! That's really good to know.

Remember that you cannot reorder any of the Fixed Effects, and that some others will not reorder, but many, especially the Adjustment (think that's the group name in PrE too) can be, and the exact order can affect the end result. In the example that I used, Levels (Auto-Levels only in PrE) and Shadow & Highlight, the order can make a world of difference to the end result. That's why Levels is usually my very first added Effect, with everything else, including Color Correction, coming after it. Now, when I have added the others, I may have to revisit Levels for some more tweaking, but it always comes first.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 21. Re: How to apply an effect to an entire, multi-clip movie?
                                                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                                                  what are "fixed effects" and what are "adjustment effects"?

"Fixed Effects" are those, that appear with every Clip: Motion (several sub-Effects here), Opacity, Image Control and Volume for Audio. Every Clip will have these and they are "fixed," in that you cannot delete, or reorder them.

In Effects Panel, there are groupings of Effects. In PrE, these are displayed as icons, but are still grouped - Adjust, Blur & Sharpen, etc. In PrPro, they are listed and are grouped in a similar fashion - Adjust, Blur & Sharpen, etc. Look just above the rows of icons, if Show All is selected and you'll see these group names. You can also limit your display via a drop-down that defaults to Show All. You will also see all of the group names, in that drop-down.

One little trick that many miss is the Q box. You can type in the name of an Effect and it will search through all Effects, eliminating some, as you type. This is a quick way to get to, say Track Matte Keying, if you don't want to scroll down the icons, or cannot remember which group it's in.

Good luck, and hope that this helps,

Hunt

• 22. Re: How to apply an effect to an entire, multi-clip movie?
                                                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                                                    What export format do use? Do you apply any custom settings to this format?

For intermediate Export/Share, I normally use DV-AVI Type II, or Lagarith Lossless, but I do not work in HD - SD only. I do not know if the Lagarith Lossless handles HD material, but if it did, that would be my personal choice.

A note on Lagarith: when installed, it appears as a CODEC when I go to File>Export (PrE 4) and choose AVI, then Advanced. It is in the drop-down list. Again, I use it for SD material, and have no idea of how well it will work with HD, if at all.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 23. Re: How to apply an effect to an entire, multi-clip movie?
                                                      Ed.Macke Level 3

Ah! Makes sense.

I actually did know about the search box, and it's a good tip.

I've added the effects (and transitions) I use often to My Favorites, so it's pretty infrequent that I need to look for a new one.

Thanks for the tutorial!!

• 24. Re: How to apply an effect to an entire, multi-clip movie?
                                                        Ed.Macke Level 3

I always use the Microsoft DV AVI export format.  Hunt is well-versed on CODECs, so I'd follow his advice - I just use whatever Windows and Premiere gave me (which might be a mistake, but that's a topic for another thread!)

Re: custom settings. Hmm.  Honestly, I looked through all the settings a while ago, figured out what I wanted, then saved them to a preset. Now, whenever I export, I always click on the "Load" (i.e. Load settings) button on the Export dialog box, and select that saved preset.

It's been so long since I saved the preset, I've forgotten what settings I even use. I'm pretty sure I took most of the defaults, except I unchecked the box that automatically adds the exported file to the project.

• 25. Re: How to apply an effect to an entire, multi-clip movie?
                                                          the_wine_snob Level 9
                                                          I've added the effects (and transitions) I use often to My Favorites, so it's pretty infrequent that I need to look for a new one.

Hey, I leaned something here. I never even looked at "Favorites." Gotta' get out more...

Thanks,

Hunt

• 26. Re: How to apply an effect to an entire, multi-clip movie?
                                                            Itay B. Level 1

Thanks, Ed.

Hunt, thanks for your suggestion. Following it, i've installed the Logarith Lossless Videoi Codec. But when i go to File -> Export -> Movie -> Settings, and choose File Type: *AVI (i.e. Uncompressed Microsoft AVI, Microsoft AVI or Microsoft DV AVI), there's no Advanced option.

• 27. Re: How to apply an effect to an entire, multi-clip movie?
                                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Now, this is from PrE 4 and the File>Export dialog. From the Settings button, you will get one of these two screens. Note that the one on the left is for the General tab, where I set Microsoft AVI. Then from the Video tab, you get the screen on the right, where, under Compressor, I choose the Lagarith Lossless CODEC. I know that everything is under Share in PrE 8, but you should be able to get similar with the choice of Microsoft AVI.

AVI_Export.jpg

Hope that this helps, and good luck,

Hunt

• 28. Re: How to apply an effect to an entire, multi-clip movie?
                                                                Itay B. Level 1

Thanks to the screenshot, now i get it. Thanks again, Hunt!

Oh, and, by the way, i accepted Adobe's suggestion and downgraded from PrE8 to PrE7.

• 29. Re: How to apply an effect to an entire, multi-clip movie?
                                                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Hey, maybe some of my screen-caps will be closer now!!!!

Good luck,

Hunt