15 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2014 7:39 AM by jkbucks

Premiere + Dynamic Link CS4 - problem!

vdmgerdy Level 1

Hellow everyone.

I have a serious problem and I think it's something with the dynamic link that doesn't work.

Dynamic Link, so if I link a AE CS4-composition in a Premiere Pro CS4 compositon, all works fine...

Till I save and close the After Effects program. The composition then in Premiere Pro appears offline: (message: Media offline)

Even when I save both programs and I restart my computer the next day. The linked media appears offline. And I even can't link it anymore with "project>link media..."

It's also the same between Premiere Pro and Encore CS4. I can't burn linked sequences!
      That must be a problem in the installation I guess.

Someone knows what the problem could be? I've sended an email to Adobe, but I still didn't got a satisfied answer after one week of waiting!

I appreciate it a lot in advance!
      Gerdy

• 1. Re: Premiere + Dynamic Link CS4 - problem!
          tclark513 Level 3

This is a PITA bug that has been there forever.  The way around it is to open your AE file and right click on the source file in the project panel to re-link the file.  If you look at the file path to that file it will show you a question mark for the drive letter.  After you re-link you should be fine.

• 2. Re: Premiere + Dynamic Link CS4 - problem!
            Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

All latest AE and Pro updates installed?

• 3. Re: Premiere + Dynamic Link CS4 - problem!
              vdmgerdy Level 1

Hello Clark

No, that's the strange thing. I can't link it to Premiere Pro again, when I open the AE-file again. I simply can't link it anymore by any method you have.

Another strange thing is when I shut down one program, like After Effects. With dynamic link that should be no problem because it's saved. Not only the "media" appears "offline" (a red screen) but when I look in the explorer in the directory where I can find my premiere pro CS4 en After Effects CS4-file. the aep-file (from After Effects CS4) does not recognize it anymore. The favicon disapears and I have to select with which program I can open that aep-file. It's really strange. The pc does not recognize the aep-file anymore. Anyway thank you for your help, but it's not at all fixed.

Seems it's a really strange thing.

Kind regards

• 4. Re: Premiere + Dynamic Link CS4 - problem!
                vdmgerdy Level 1

Hello Ann...

All latest updates are installed!

Kind regards

G

• 5. Re: Premiere + Dynamic Link CS4 - problem!
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

This is a PITA bug that has been there forever.

I've not yet had this problem myself.

• 6. Re: Premiere + Dynamic Link CS4 - problem!
                    therayman Level 1

In my experience dynamic link is more trouble than it's worth. Do you have lots of RAM because its very memory hungry.

We have lost enough work because of it that we don't use it at all.

• 7. Re: Premiere + Dynamic Link CS4 - problem!
                      vdmgerdy Level 1

Hey Therayman...

I have 6 GB RAM and I7 core processor. Windows 64 bit version... That can not be the problem. Yes I saw in the forum there are a few others that has the same problems.

Adobe??? CAN YOU HELP ME?

I'm wating now for almost a week for an answer on my open case?

• 8. Re: Premiere + Dynamic Link CS4 - problem!
                        Jim_Simon Level 8

I have only 3GB and use DL without any issues.  RAM isn't the likely cause.

What kind of media are folks with these problems using?

• 9. Re: Premiere + Dynamic Link CS4 - problem!
                          therayman Level 1

You might find more RAM helps. When we first started having problems Adobe recommended we install 16GB RAM. My personal machine is a dual quad with 12GB RAM running Vista 64 and it struggles if I have both Premier and After Effects open when rendering. Using dynamic link that is more or less what your doing and CS4 is definitely not very memory efficient. Professionally we tend to work in HD but I occasionally use SD for web projects. If you are only using SD you should be OK.

• 10. Re: Premiere + Dynamic Link CS4 - problem!
                            the_wine_snob Level 9
                            Adobe??? CAN YOU HELP ME?

With the occasional, rare exception, there is no Adobe presence here. We are but lowly users, trying to help other users. Usually, we do a pretty good job.

Now, you've listed a few pieces of your system. Please list the rest, plus exactly what you are doing, and what is happening, with the problems surface. The more info, the easier it might be to get some ideas.

As this is a continuing thread, you might want to look back on it, and see what has been discussed and suggested. Did any of those suggestions help your situation? If not, what were the results for you? Your observations might well help everyone else, with similar problems in this thread.

Good luck, and we'll be looking for that additional info,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Premiere + Dynamic Link CS4 - problem!
                              vdmgerdy Level 1

Hellow Rayman,

First of all. Thank you every one who takes the time to read this and I appreciate the help.

The project where I have this problem is in SD. My pc runs very smoothly. I also has this problem when I work in HD.

The previous Adobe Bundle I had, was the Video Bundle with the CS2-editions and Flash 8.

I could also use dynamic link in that bundle and I never had problems. I was very happy with this fantastic tool.

But the problem now on the CS4 Production Premium is something not many can fix I guess.

Some wrong drivers is for me at the moment the best answer.

The biggest reason I upgraded was to burn Blu-Ray and guess what... I also had to install a patch to burn it. The CS4 production premium couldn't do it by itself when I had installed it on my Windows 7 64 bit I7-core machine. Maybe I have to install another patch to get the Dynamic Link working.

Greetings

G

• 12. Re: Premiere + Dynamic Link CS4 - problem!
                                vdmgerdy Level 1

Someone has the correct answer yet?

• 13. Re: Premiere + Dynamic Link CS4 - problem!
                                  vdmgerdy Level 1

Update:  Now I found that when I close Premiere Pro first and then After Effects, after saved in After Effects, I don't have the problem with dynamic link.  But I still have the problem if I close After Effects first...

What could cause the problem? This isn't normal.  Can I fix it? Is this problem known?

Kind regards

G

• 14. Re: Premiere + Dynamic Link CS4 - problem!
                                    tumult777

Hi Gerdy,

I´ve had the same problem with Dynamic Link in CS5 and I don´t know the reason for it but I found out that the media gets connected when you first open AE and Premiere afterwards.

Don´t know if that is of help, but sometimes it´s just as easy as that.

All the best,

T.

• 15. Re: Premiere + Dynamic Link CS4 - problem!
                                      jkbucks Level 1

This problem still exists in Premiere Pro CC 2014. Kind of unacceptable.