6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2010 2:13 AM by Sophiehound

Flash has started to publish projector.app files I can't view

$tressedEric

Hi

I have Mac Pro OSX 10.58 - CS 4 Creative Suite

I have been using Flash to produce projector files totally fine for months. However, today when I publish a Mac projector file I have come across a problem. Flash publishes a .app projector file OK, but, when I open it, it appears in the dock as if it were open but I don't see anything.

Any projector files I produced prior to today still play fine. But any projector files I have created today have the previously mentioned problem. I have tried creating a totally new FLA and publishing from that incase it was the FLA I was publishing from was to blame - same problem.

I have reinstalled Flash, but the error persists.

Today I also installed new software. I installed the Developer tools because I wanted to use PackageMaker. I also installed Xray. I have removed Xray incase that was at fault - but the problem still persists.

Has anyone experienced a similar problem? or got a possible answer?

Any help would be hugely appreciated as I'm in the middle of a project that requires me to use Flash.

NB: SWF files published work fine.

Thank you

$Eric

• 1. Re: Flash has started to publish projector.app files I can't view
          dycus

I don't have an answer, but I'm having the same exact problem. Just wondering if you found a solution. Thanks!

• 2. Re: Flash has started to publish projector.app files I can't view
            Sophiehound

Did you ever sort this out? I have exactly the same issue with CS4. Everything has been publishing fine for years - then out of the blue this has happened.

When I log in as another user it publishes and runs OK. I can also publish OK from my Macbook (same software). I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the complete CS4 suite and I also deleted the preference files etc - again, no change.

I have no idea what else to try. It's driving me mad!

• 3. Re: Flash has started to publish projector.app files I can't view
              $tressedEric Level 1

Hi

Unfortunately, I never did get to the bottom of exactly caused this issue. I spent a whole day trying to figure it out, including posting on various help forums and phoning around other colleagues.

At the time it was essential that I had Flash back up and running so in the end I decided it was going to be quicker to back up everything up format the hard drive and reinstall the operating system. So that is what I did. After a morning spent reinstalling OS X and Adobe creative suite I was back up and running.

After I had the OS and Creative Suite installed I checked everything worked OK in Flash and it did. I then installed all applications I required for my work.

After installing each one I checked for the problem again but I never replicated the problem again.

I put it down to one of the applications I installed the day the problem started but as to which one and what was causing the problem I have never been any the wiser.

Sorry I couldn't be the bearer of better news.

$Eric

• 4. Re: Flash has started to publish projector.app files I can't view
                dycus Level 1

Try this:

• control-click on the published .app file, and select "show package contents"
                • open the "contents" then the "resources" folder
                • there should be an .swf file in there. Re-name it "movie.swf"
                • close everything and try running the app

that's the workaround I used. You have to do this every time after you publish.

Let me know if it works!

• 5. Re: Flash has started to publish projector.app files I can't view
                  Sophiehound Level 1

Thanks for the tip. I also posted to another thread I found http://forums.adobe.com/message/3235399 and am currently trying a suggestion there to trash/empty trash of the projector files in question. My Trash is pretty full so it's taking a bit of time to do a complete empty. I will then create a simple file, publish and see what happens. If it still doesn't work I'll def give your suggestion a go. After that, I will have tried everything short of doing a complete reinstall of the OS like @$tressedSric.

@$tressedEric - sorry to hear you had to go through all of that hassle. This is certainly a weird problem! I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks

• 6. Re: Flash has started to publish projector.app files I can't view
                    Sophiehound Level 1

Just to let you know that the projector still didn't work after completely clearing my trash. So, I then tried your method of showing package contents etc and it works - so thank you very much.

There was no swf in my contents at all, so I just need to remember to publish a swf as well as the projector, make sure it's named movie.swf and drop it in. It's such a weird problem, and really frustrating. This hack will at least save me a lot of time as I won't need to log in as another user or transfer files back and forth from my Macbook. Maybe one day it will magically work again by itself!

Thanks again

Helen