3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2009 11:34 PM by Matt Petersen

Capture from Canon HV30 to PP CS4

flyboy96t
      I cannot capture anything from my HV30 using Premiere Pro CS4. Using firewire, the camera is on and in playback mode. I keep getting a "Can't activate recorder, try reseting camera". I bought my firewire cord from firefold.com. The tape that I am trying to capture was recorded in DV mode, not HDV. I know my computer recognizes my camera because I can capture in imovie. I am using a macbook pro 2.66 GHz processor and 4GB memory.

I am very frustrated with the adobe programs. They do not seem to be working as they should for the money I have paid for them. Please give me any ideas at all. I have tried my fair share and just want to be able to use my recorded video.
        • 1. Re: Capture from Canon HV30 to PP CS4
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Set your camera to DV mode. I am very frustrated with the users. They do not seem to be using the camera as they should for the money paid for them.

• 2. Re: Capture from Canon HV30 to PP CS4
            Eric Addison User Group Manager

Check the menu settings in the camera - try adjusting them and see if that makes a difference. I used that camera to capture some HDV footage couple weeks back (pretty sure it was that model - it was a small HDV Canon with 30 in the model #)  and it worked fine.

I know some cameras and decks need to be set up right before they will work with Premiere Pro, or any NLE for that matter.

If you are able to capture in iMovie, then make sure iMovie is closed down before trying to capture in PPro - that could be what's causing the problem.

• 3. Re: Capture from Canon HV30 to PP CS4
              Matt Petersen Level 3

HV30's (and XLH1's for that matter) can be finicky on the firewire capture side of things. I've had similar dramas in the past, I share your pain.

As Harm suggests, dig through the camera menu and set firewire output to DV (and not HDV/DV). That almost always sorts it out.

I also used to have a bit of luck by actually resetting the camera itself. from memory, the tiny reset switch (use a ballpoint or paperclip) is under the battery.

good luck.

MP