6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2009 9:00 AM by Curt Wrigley Branched to a new discussion.

save as?

ovrexposed Level 1

I have Premiere Pro CS4. I'm using a macbookpro. Clips are on one external HD and scratch disc is on another external HD. I want to store a finished video on the mbp harddrive. The only way I figured out is to encode to flash. Is that my only choice? I want the video on the notebook for playing or for loading to websites. I don't think I can load the flash to youtube, etc.

What am I missing? What are my options?

Thanx

• 1. Re: save as?
          Curt Wrigley Level 4

There is an option in the File menu to export to Adobe Media encoder.  That allows export to pretty much any format you like.

• 2. Re: save as?
            ovrexposed Level 1

I am familiar with that, that's how I created the flash file I mentioned.

But what other formats can I / Shoud I choose?

I created an MPEG2 but I won't play on the notebook.

• 3. Re: save as?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

What is your delivery/Export scheme? What do you want from the files. That will determine what you Export to.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: save as?
                ovrexposed Level 1

the immediate use is to upload to youtube, vimeo, flickr, and other websites without needing the external hd and the external scratch disc and without needing to open premiere..

I can play the flash version directly on the laptop. Are there other versions I could play? Would they play better on my mbp that the flash version?

Am I right that I cannot export a .mov file from Premiere??

The question, 'what do you want to get out of the file'...answer, whatcha got? Really, I'd be interested in seeing a list of what is capable and for what purpose.

Thanks

• 5. Re: save as?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

For Web-based display, the FLV and H.264 are two common options. The FLV can probably be used in more Web sites, because of the proliferation of Flash players. Still, many like the H.264.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: save as?
                    Curt Wrigley Level 4

Use Adobe Media Encoder to export a file compatible with the web sites you want it to play on.  Then simply upload it to the site.

For example; YOUTUBE accepts the following formats:

• Windows Media Video (.WMV)
                    • .3GP (cell phones)
                    • .AVI (windows)
                    • .MOV (mac)
                    • .MP4 (ipod/psp)
                    • .MPEG
                    • .FLV (adobe flash)
                    • .MKV (h.264)

Most folk use Flv I believe.

So; export it as flv and upload the flv to Youtube, etc...